Register now to get rid of these ads!

Will this frame get me this ride height??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nick28, Jun 12, 2009.

1. nick28

nick28
    from Kentucky

First, I'm new here, new to this type of build....
    Anyhow I picked up this coupe along with a bunch of other parts, including a nice custom built A frame
    Pictured here:
    [​IMG]

My plans were to run a 4" drop axle in the front, spring in the rear but I would like this ride height:
    [​IMG]
    Question is do I need to modify this frame, sell it and buy another one, or can I make it work?
    Couple pics of the coupe:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance

2. Ichoptop

Ichoptop

that kick up is much to low. unless you do some kind of funky spring in front of the rear end design. Either get a new frame or chop up the one you have.

3. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

That model A has a good amount of channelling you talking about the Channel attitude or the frame?

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That car appears to be channeled about ten inches. With the chop you would have about 5'2" or less to be able to comfortably drive it.

I'd suggest that if it has the floor in the stock position or no floor that you put some blocks inside with a part of a sheet of plywood ontop of it and then try getting in and out and see how it fits. You do actually want to drive it and not just push it on and off a trailer so that everyone can say how cool it is parked there in the middle of a rod trot?

I'm not knocking the look but I hate to see a guy build something and then go "oh crap, I can't fit in this thing to be able to drive it".

I'll have to agree with I choptop in that I don't think that frame is set up to go as low as you want. But take a long look at the coupe in your photo, the frame isn't very low at all.

5. nick28

nick28
    from Kentucky

I plan to channel mine also, enough to hide the frame. My question refers to the frame, if mine and some combination of suspension parts will get me that look.

BTW, whats a frame like this one worth?

6. nick28

nick28
    from Kentucky

I do plan to mock it up as I am 6'2".

Thanks for the replies

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  7. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

if you like that car you should check out chopperman's coupe build. might answer a lot of questions

8. Killer

Killer

that frame will most likely get you close to what you want.

its set up for a spring behind set up. If you make the spring mount to the side of the frame (instead of the bottom) you'll gain a couple inches. reverse eye spring... hell you could even use longer shackles to get it down more.

You dont need stupid amounts of kick in the rear when you use a spring behind setup.

get your parts gathered up and mock it up. Thats the only way your gonna know for sure.

Whats the front look like?

9. nick28

nick28
    from Kentucky

Thanks for the info guys,

The front of the frame can kinda be seen in the photos above, its straight out tapered, with the crossmember for the front spring.

10. That frame needs a lot of work to be safe. All those welds around the kickup and rear crossmember need to be gusseted and fishplated so the the welds alone are not taking all the stress. Just my 2c.

11. nick28

nick28
    from Kentucky

anymore thoughts??

12. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

Will this frame get me this ride height??

NO.

You'll need a 4" kick in the front and at least 8" kick in the rear.
    The 4" drop axle reverese eye set up is the norm on front.
    The car pictured is channeled 4" which is liveable..

I would 86 the rear crossmember you got there.
    Build the rear kick and add the length needed to put a buggy spring behind the axle.
    the front you could do as a sweep,that's easy.

have fun ! I like those little coupes.