Register now to get rid of these ads!

Corn Fed's Farm Find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Corn Fed, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Back in February I had to take a day long trip for work with 3 guys to visit a supplier. On the trip were 2 guys I didn’t know very well. Of course, somewhere along the 4 hour drive we started talking cars. During this conversation, Roger - one of the guys I didn’t know – pipes in that his Dad had some old cars back on the farmstead in Southern Iowa. My ears perked up. I asked what they were and he started rattling them off. When he got to the 39 and 40 Fords, my ears really perked up. I asked if they might be for sale and he said, “sure, we’ll never do anything with them.” He said he wasn’t really sure what kind of condition they were in because they’d been sitting for a long time. So I’d just have to come take a look. Plans were made, and in March I made the 2 hour drive to see what was there. The following pics are what I found.

The 40 turned out to be a saveable car with all the fenders and other parts stashed inside. The 39 was very rusty and only good for parts. A very sweet deal was struck for them both and we planned to return in April to get them.

Attached Files:

2. Dontiac

Dontiac

Nice score! Looks like you have to do a little lumberjacking to move the 40!

3. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

The day before I was to head down in April, Roger called and said he broke the front spindle on the tractor we were planning to use to help load. So the trip was delayed. Last weekend, we finally got around to making the trip.

I lined up my Dad’s trailer, and one from FORDY 6 here on the HAMB. The 3 of us headed down and got there about 10 am. Roger, his 81-year-old Dad, and some of Rogers’s teenage kids met us.

We started by cutting the branches off the tree that had grown up and encased the front axle, wishbone, and tie rod. The front tire was taken off. Using the bucket on the tractor, we dig down to give some chainsaw swinging room to cut below the axle. We hooked a chain to the front crossmember and then to the tractor’s bucket to raise the front. Both front tires were replaced with ones that would hold air.

At this point we tried to yank the car outta the ground, but those rear wheels just wouldn’t come out of their holes. So after some messing around digging them out and manually jacking the back up, we got the rear wheels off and put some rollers on. This time, we were able to pull the car out. Amazingly 3 out of the 4 wheels turned.

We pulled the car out towards the road where we had the trailer waiting. By driving the trailer into the ditch, we had a pretty level loading surface. We had to lift the front of the ’40 off the ground and use the tractor to put it on the trailer because of the 1 locked front wheel.

After the 3 hours it took to load the ’40, and reevaluating the extensive rust on the ’39, it was determined to just leave the ’39 there. I will return later and strip some parts off it.

The last picture shows Roger and “Dad” with the loaded ’40. Dad’s memory isn’t what it used to be. When I asked when he bought the ’40 he said 1965. But Roger and his Mom are sure it was well before then. Probably closer to 1955. In 1982 Roger started taking the car apart in his High School auto shop class. The flathead was taken to a friends for rebuilding. After class was over, the parts were piled inside and the car was taken to the farm. It’d been sitting ever since. The flathead was forgotten at the friends. Amazingly, it is still there. I’m hoping to try and get that this summer too.

So there ya go. We had a fun time and it feels good to save another one from rotting away. I need to say a special thanks to my Dad and FORDY 6 for helping me get the old girl home. Thanks!!!

Attached Files:

4. Slickster51_50

Slickster51_50

Wow was there an engine in that 56 olds?Where in iowa was this stuff?I used to live in Cedar Rapids.

5. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

6. 067chevy

067chevy

7. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That's great. Good luck with it! Are you going to strip everything off the '39?

8. Abomination

Abomination

Badass! Especially the flathead being at the friend's still!

~Jason

9. goodgarb

goodgarb
    from TACOMA,WA

Great find, story and pictures! another one saved!

10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Nice!! What are your plans for it?

Malcolm

11. James427

James427
    BANNED

I love seeing them pulled from the ground like that roots and all. Nice save!

12. MeteorMan

MeteorMan

Got any more pics of the Econoline p/u in the background of the '39?

13. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

Everybody on this site dreams of a gold mine like that!

14. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Now that is a great deed done to save the cars & truck from mother earth !
    So what are the plans for all your hard work ? Are you going to keep them all or sell some off ?

15. RAY With

RAY With

Nice find-Thanks for taking time to post pictures and tell the story. This is what makes HAMBERS the greatest.

16. The rumor was that it was originally intended to be the kids' "clubhouse". Don't know if that's still the case. The kids are up to date on their tetanus shots.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  17. SLCHC-CHIEF

SLCHC-CHIEF
    from S.L.U.T

nice score man when you start to build it make sure to post pics up.

18. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

the olds is a 55, 88.

19. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

20. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

They are in VERY rural Davis county Iowa (South Central). There's pretty much no way anyone would be able to find them without doing some serious trespassing or being told where they are.

The Olds has no engine and is actually knee deep in a stream. Literally the only good parts on it were the rear fender stainless which I already took off.

Right now I don't really have any plans for the '40. My biggest concern is trying to find someplace to get it inside. My shop is more than full and there's no way I can squeeze another car in there. It may end up for sale or trade.

On the '39 the only parts I know for sure I want to get are the pedals, steering column, trans, RR fender, and front inner fender panels. If there's other easy to strip stuff, I'll probably get that too. If there is anything that anyone needs, let me know. I'll see if I can get it. The body would actually be good for someone wanting to build an old-time stock car.

I may go and pull the flathead out of the '52. It may be more work than it's worth.

As for it being a "clubhouse" for the kids, they both have already had fun pretending to drive it. But the bare seat springs make for an uncomfortable "ride".

Here's a pic of the Econoline.

Attached Files:

21. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Don't forget the hood!

Is there a dash? Garnish mouldings? Steering column and wheel?

I don't need it but someone will. I'd take all you can.

22. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

thats a cool story . and pictures to hope you can get the engine also ,

23. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

24. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel

Nice score buddy!

25. chopz56

chopz56

I love seeing and hearing about this kind of stuff,i makes you want to go on a road trip!!!!!!!!

26. sodas38

sodas38

Atta boy, great work.

27. greasy50chevy

greasy50chevy

28. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Good deal!And a flatty to boot can't beat that.

29. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

Hey, Chris had a great time helping with the "tin mining" adventure.

I'd be happy to lend a hand or a trailer anytime...let me know.

30. mr.smith

mr.smith

cool, great finds nd good luck!