Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949 ford rear end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brekteffect, Jun 11, 2009.

1. brekteffect

brekteffect

Can anyone tell me what kind/model rear end was used in the 49 to 54 ford cars? Ive got one that is going under my 27 roadster and it would be nice to what to call it besides a dwarf 9 inch.

Attached Files:

2. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Hotchkiss Drive.

I call it a 'shoebox rear'... I don't know what else to call it.

3. keeffer

keeffer

pain in the ass

4. 50shoe

50shoe

5. Might work ok in a light car, but I wouldn't use it.

The later Ford 8" is a much better choice.
    It uses the same size axles as the 28 spline Ford 9".

Replaced several axles in stock motored Shoeboxes and one of them broke while backing out of a parking spot.

To be fair, it had been abused, but not that bad.
    The engines we ran weren't all that strong and we'd given up on burning rubber in low and chirping 2nd long ago....

6. flathead4d

flathead4d

Put a 8 inch Maverick five lug in it. Almost a direct bolt in. spring perches are a half inch off.

7. its a dana but i forget the number. i wouldnt use it hell i have a s10 one under my shoe box in the garage

8. In a T roadster? Awesome!

9. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Frail POS Ford design.

10. It was sufficient for the time and worked ok in reasonably driven cars.:)

Ford axles are doing ok nowadays.:cool:

11. rodknocker

rodknocker

This same question was asked on the Shoebox website, the results were quite different then being said on here. I'm not saying they're good or bad, just that there's more opinions out there.

12. brekteffect

brekteffect

I figured theyre not too strong but I wanted something a little different. Id think it would have a fair chance under a 1700 or so pound car with a stock 292y and if not spare parts are not too hard to get around here. Is it mostly just axles they break? if so id better stock up. how do they compare to a banjo? thanks for the input.

13. The 8" Maverick/Granada/Comet/Mustang is probably easier to get parts for if you do break something. The original rear in my '55 Ford has well over 200,000 on it and has never given a minute's trouble in 54 years, so the '49-'56 rears will hold up fine in normal driving with a reasonably stock engine. As others have noted, they won't take a lot of abuse. Comparing to the banjo rears, I guess it comes down to whether you prefer changing axles ('49-'56) or sheared off axle keys (banjo). Carrying spare axles takes up space, you can keep spare axle keys in the glove box or ash tray.