Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage HOT ROD of the YEAR?!?! Who's going for it in INDY???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Jun 9, 2009.

1. KIRK!

KIRK!

Any HAMBers going on the Hot Rod of the Year competition in Indy this Friday and Saturday? It's a killer time!

The official mumbo jumbo:

The Goodguys 2009 Hot Rod of the Year award will be selected this year at the 21st Hot Rod Nationals, June 12, 13 & 14 at O’Reilly Raceway Park just outside Indianapolis, IN. Below is a complete description on what the award criteria calls for and how to enter:

Award Criteria:
    Open to hot rods 1948 and earlier. It makes noise; it’s regularly street driven and has a mean attitude! No cream puffs! Remember – The true spirit of hot rodding is for the owner to enjoy driving his hot rod!

How to Enter:
    Cars interested in competing for this award should report to the “Hot Rod of the Year” staging area, Friday, June 12th at ORP at 9am sharp (North tower area at O’Reilly Raceway Park). You will be signed in, receive a special window sticker and be given route maps for the day’s festivities.

The HROY Competition:
    After everyone is signed in Friday morning, the hot rods will leave ORP and visit Indianapolis Motor Speedway to take the special Indy Track Cruise. From the Indy Motor Speedway, the cars will tour up Highway 31 for approximately 45 miles to Jim Richardson’s spectacular “A Summer Place” – a real working 50s-era town on his private property! You won’t believe how cool this place is! It features a nostalgia gas station, a vintage diner and a movie theater showing 50s movies! Lunch will be available to all who participate. To check out our destination, visit www.asummerplace.org. From the Summer Place in Sharpsville, the cars will head back to O’Reilly Raceway Park and immediately report to the drag strip staging lanes. All HROY candidates will participate in a 1/8th mile heads-up drag & brag fun run on the IRP quarter mile. Times and speeds posted during the 1/8th mile drag & brag fun run will not determine the overall winner as the runs are simply a way to help establish that the Hot Rod of the Year is a true hot rod fully capable of smoking the tires and romping through the 1/8 mile!

The Selection Process:
    Five HROY finalists will be selected from the overall pool of entrants. The five finalists will then be displayed at the Adam’s Mark Hotel Saturday night, June 13th where the overall winner will be announced during a special ceremony.

The Prize:
    The winner of the Goodguys 2009 Hot Rod of the Year award will receive a special award, a full color photo feature in the Goodguys Gazette and Goodtimes Yearbook, national bragging rights and travel accommodations to attend the 2009 season-ending Southwest Nationals, November 20, 21 & 22 in Scottsdale, Arizona.

Some shots from previous years...

last year's winner
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be tagging along, camera in-hand!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Looks like an awesome time and the right car got it last year!!! Although Larry's 3W was looking pretty delicious too!

3. KIRK!

KIRK!

He was a full-on contender, but he broke before completing the 1/8th-mile run.

4. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

I heard pinkee's will be bringin the lime green hemrod sedan out.

5. KIRK!

KIRK!

I hope so. I want to see it finished in person.

6. posi

posi
    from canada

7. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

I'll be there.Won the first one[2006] with my 33. Still thrilled every time I look at the trophy.This is the coolest event in hot rodding. I encourage you to bring your stuff out and beat on it for a day. Made some friends, had some fun, made a pass down historic Indy.Participated each year since. Oh ya, got to hang with KIRK! Priceless. Driving my black chopped 32 sedan.Say Hi....

8. KIRK!

KIRK!

Hey Greg! See you in a couple of days!

9. I would'nt miss it. The best weekend all year.

10. 2002p51

2002p51

What if somebody has a car that isn't up to those appearance standards and has no chance in hell of winning? Could they enter just for the fun of making the cruise and doing the drag strip?

11. KIRK!

KIRK!

Hell yes!

12. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Awesome shots Kirk!! That was a blast just going up to A Summer Place, let alone the Indy Speedway lap and the drag racing!!!

13. Are you going todo something like this at scottsdale?