Register now to get rid of these ads!

? for Desoto guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bshepherd, Jun 9, 2009.

1. bshepherd

bshepherd
    from michigan

Looked at a 48 mordor today, complete hasn't been on road since '66. Very solid doesn't run I think the $1500 hes askin is a good price. Sorry don't have pics what do you guys think? 54,000 miles Brandon

2. O.Hove

O.Hove
    Member Emeritus
    from S.D.

Cool cars, Tex Smth drove one.
    The hood ornament is worth $200

3. mopedcouple

mopedcouple

I love desotos. If it has the flat 6 in it. That motor is almost unbreakable. The one thing i found with our desoto is that you have to get alittle more creative when finding parts.(ofcourse that is true with almost all old cars) Like asking for 48 dodge parts instead of desoto. I broke a brake spring one time. When to the auto part store and looked through boxes and boxes of brake kits. Finally a 92-02? dodge caravan rear drum kit had the same spring. I would be all over that car if I were you. good luck hope you get it.

4. Squablow

Squablow

I bought my '40 Chrysler running with rechromed bumpers for $1650. If it has Fluid-Drive I wouldn't even bother, I can't imagine after sitting that long that the trans would be good, I personally don't think they were worth a shit when they did work. If it has a stick/OD in it, a title, decent chrome, and the engine turns, it's a good price. But a dried-out Fluid Drive and a frozen up flat-6 would be a deal killer for me. $1500 for a non-running '48 Mopar is coupe terretory.

5. seetz

seetz

dude, buy it. I had a car like that that I had to part out, and that made me like $3000. if yours is solid and all that, that price is a steal. and remember: a lot of DeSoto is same as Chrysler, so it might be a little less hard than you might think. plus: how many people do you know that drive a 48 DeSoto? it sure is way cooler than a 32 Ford!

6. I could have had the same year coupe a while back, asked around, no one gave a damn, off to the crusher it went.

7. alicia-dusty

alicia-dusty

DeSoto and Chryslers with 6 cly. have the same engine, chassis, steering parts and a bunch of other stuff. Chrysler saratoga and new yorker are 8 cly. cars and have larger frames and suspension. Buy a copie of HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS , And order some of catalogs in the Mopar section. You can find everything you'll need. You won't meet another comming at you. We have '47 windsor that has the larger frame because it's a 7 passenger sedan, although it's a 6 cyllinder. A 251c.u. Have fun & dare to be different.

8. George

George

If it's a siezed 6 & fluid drive it's easy to slip a rear sump pick-up or van 318/727 into it!