Register now to get rid of these ads!

Disclosure of project prices....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mpls|cafe|racer, Jun 6, 2009.

?
  1. No, it's no ones damn business if you don't want to share.

87.5%
  2. Yes, because everyone knows you should.

12.5%
  1. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

I have posted WIW posts... and guess what.... I will continue to do so.

And if the mood strikes me, I will say what I paid.

And if you dont like it when I don't I'll call you a nosey bastard who should mind his own business. :D

And speaking of "jokes".....:rolleyes:

2. James427

James427
    BANNED

3. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

What it boils down to is respect.

The respectful way to ask is "If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for this?"

A respectful response would be "No problem, I paid ___________", or "I'd rather not discuss it as that's private".

And frankly, it's pretty well accepted that if someone is being respectful, you should do the same.

Well, mostly accepted.... apparently not by everyone.

The ballpark value of an item that's available to the public is public info obviously.... the details of a transaction are not. lol

4. RichG

RichG

...what, no punchline?

Oh, right...:D

5. well since i pissed him off with my "douch" comment i guess i'm in your corner as well

and i'm sorry i should have used a less loaded word than that..

but notice the guy didn't even have the guts to tell anyone "i'm sorry but i don't feel comfortable disclosing the final sale price." probably would have spared alot of the drama

at the end of the day it is a glorious free country we live in and the guy is entitled to do as he pleases.. and we are also guaranteed the self-same right to form opinions on the matter.. and voice them.. whether everyone likes it or not..

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  6. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

You didn't piss anyone off.... just thought it was extremely out of line, especially on something so obviously no required, that's all.

There are just a lot of times where people post stuff up (newer people more than long time members usually) that I'm personally just a bit disappointed, cause I think it paints our forum into a bad picture.

The votes speak for themselves though....

7. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

I was brought up that you don't ask other people about money, pereod... just plain rude.
    I hate when someone ask me what I paid for something, if I want to tell, I will unprompted.
    I have had occasion to get a great deal on item "X", and made the mistake of talking about it, only to be berated, and bugged to death by people who thought I should sell it to them... "as I don't need it, and have enough stuff anyhow"

No matter what..... some people just plain SUCK!!

8. and that's why i appologized.. it was early, i had just gotten off of a long day of work and the fingers went flying before i thought.. everyone (even long time members) have been guilty of that from time to time..

bottom line it's up to this guy it would just be nice if he would just come out and say "I know you guys were so willing to help and offer your advice and I don't mean to leave you all hanging but i don't feel comfortable disclosing that."He of course doesn't have to, but You said yourself that that's how you deal with it and that is a totally respectful way to do so..

and like i said, i was giving him the benifit of the doubt and assuming he just hasn't been back to a computer yet..

9. The Cap'n

The Cap'n
    from Kansas

All of this drama over a 32 3W *waits to be hit in the head with a beer bottle*

If all of them were worthless we wouldn't be in this position of arguing in the first place :D. Actually it surprises me how much some people said they would pay for such a basket case, saying because it's so rare. Granted I love basket cases...but mine didn't cost anywhere near 15K, and are far rarer. But none of them would make good rods...so it's more about supply and demand than how rare something actually is in this case.

My 2 cents...
    If I wanted a real metal car I would just spend less and buy a 31 coupe

Or if I HAD to have a deuce coupe I would probably just buy a F/G body and have more money to spend on speed parts instead of being out 20-30 grand on just a body.

Ok, I'm done with my little rant

10. 8-Track

8-Track

Its just not polite to ask what you paid for something.

11. iamq

iamq
    from Ma

I'm more amazed at the number of hours that people put in... could give a shit about the $'s.. you either gotem or you don't but the hours..man...

12. Muttley

Muttley

I dont think it should be required but it really annoys me when someone posts about their outrageous deal and then wont reveal the price.

13. Sometimes asking how much something costs is helpful, like you show up and you have a real cool headlight that just blows you away. Another guy comes up and says "Wholy fuck!! WHAT A COOL HEADLIGHT!!!!where'd you get it?" I respond " At Cool Headlights R Us. He says, "man I love them, how much are they?"
    I tell him the price I paid and he says he's going to grab a set for that price as he saw some that he was going to buy for double the price that weren't as cool.
    AND WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THAT?
    Knowing prices of things give knowledge for what to keep your eyes open for also.
    My neighbor actually said I have to see his newest aquirement. He kept telling me what a great deal he got and man what a steal. So when he shows me this huge sand blasting cabinet, I asked "How much"? He then said, "I really dont like talking prices". Well as far as I'm concerned, he set me up by leading me on for like 5 minutes about his deal. All I can say is screw him!
    If he told me the price, then I could agree with his 5 minutes of spouting but.......................

14. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I think we should focus more on being happy that 32 3 windows are still out there, waiting for you to come along. What you pay for it is entirely your business and none of mine. So I vote no.

15. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I vote this is a stupid thread

16. pinman 39

pinman 39

Doesn't really matter anyway everybody LIES !
    Sellers make themselves look good saying how much they got !
    Buyers make themselvs look good saying how little they paid !
    It gets fun when its the same car !

17. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

Had a similar situation lately. lol

I bought this 82 Jetta coupe from a guy for $200.00.

I traded it for a transmission for my 98 Jetta daily driver.

I then got it back from the guy I traded it to in exchange for parts he needed.

I then sold it BACK to the guy I bought it from for $350.00.

This guy was telling everyone he got it back and made money on it somehow and that I basically stored his shit for him for a year and a half.

I told him he might need some memory meds cause I made 150.00 on him and got a free transmission for my car out of the deal too. :D

18. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

Ditto. I can't figure this thread out.

19. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Stop all the tears please. It is rusting my keyboard circuits.

20. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

No ones forcing you to be here... :D

21. deuces94

deuces94
    BANNED
    from Minnesota

Does anyone remember who the guy was that bought the 3W deuce originally? Does anyone know where he lives? Does anyone think going to his house and beating the shit out of him to make him speak-up is reasonable? I didn't think so. Yet at some point in the thread someone (I forgot who, and personally don't care) compared this to a witness on the stand in a court of law. And his responsibilities upon cross-examination. And if he refuses to answer upon cross examination, then what should the penalty be? What the hell kind of pissing contest has this become? This isn't a court of law, this guy doesn't have to nor is he obligated to tell any of us shit and this whole conversation has become stupid. I'll bet the 3W deuce guy is laughing his ass off at the whole damn HAMB.

22. madjack

madjack

I'm not telling. If I did, you would just laugh at how bad I got screwed

23. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Boxers? Or Briefs?....

I'm WAITING! Punk!

24. James427

James427
    BANNED

LOL, SEE, I KNEW you would tell. You really want to tell don't you. :)