Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help needed wiring fuel gauge

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 39ChevyRatRod, Jun 2, 2009.

1. 39ChevyRatRod

39ChevyRatRod

I know this will most likely be a dumb question, but.... I am finishing up a 41 Chevy pickup project and want to use the original fuel gauge. It still has the original tank and sending unit. The electrical system is 12 volt now and I know I will need a voltage reducer but I want to know since I have a negative ground now will the fuel guage work correctally or will it read backwards? If it will read backwards is there a way for me to get it to read correctally? Any help will be appreciated.

2. flathead4d

flathead4d

I don't think the gauge cares whether it's positive or negative ground. Your problem will be the gauge must match the sending unit. If you are using the original gauge and sending unit you might get away with using a Runtz voltage reducer which will drop twelve volts down to six.

3. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

What he said.

4. 39ChevyRatRod

39ChevyRatRod

Thanks guys I appreciate the help, I was hoping it would work with just a voltage reducer.

5. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

My 45 chevy truck worked just fine with only a runtz wired in on the back of the gauge , no other changes needed.