Register now to get rid of these ads!

nsra 30 year venue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bangngears, May 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

I hate to be the devil's advocate, but a '40 Ford was only 30 years old when the N.S.R.A. was founded. And although I wasn't around back then, I hear guys bitched about 'fat fenders' being too new.

With that said, I'm not thrilled with the change. I think maybe '54 or '64 wouldn't have ruffled too many feathers. Then worked their way up to '72. I don't think you'll see many 70's cars there. Those guys aren't interested in our type of events. The ones that will be there will be those of us who 'protest'. I admit that I'm on the lookout for a Pacer or a LTD Country Squire to drive to Louisville next year.

Final thing to think about... if they are trying to attract 'younger' enthusiasts. Have you seen how old the guys who grew up with musclecars are getting? So they swing the average age from the rodders in their 70's to guys in there 50's!

2. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I have to agree with many here on the bullshit NSRA is doing . I understand about changing the year from pre 49 BUT not 1980 ! :mad:
    I heard it was 1972 but I think maybe move to the late 50's like 1959 as a cut off but now whit the change what will happen when the "Tuners" show up ? :mad:
    They did really screw up when they stopped the camping in York . That's have the fun , all your street rod friends cooking dogs on the grill drinking beer and just catching up with your friends that you only see once a year at the NSRA show . They have plenty of room so I really didn't understand . Last year I did see some of the rodent cars there and that really sucked to me !
    I go there every years to see the beautiful streets rods that come out a few times a years to show off . I am not going to go and pay almost $20 to park and get in to see a ton of shit ass tuners and junk like Pacers ! This is not the Good Guys show !
    BTW I only live 15 min from York but I have a ton more fun at All Fords Nationals in Carsile the same weekend . I go there on Friday and York on Saturday to check out all the goodies at the swap meet and in the buildings . I look at the cars as I pass them but I am there for the parts and accessories and ideas for my cars !
    See you all there that come ! Maybe the last time for me too !

3. sorry you cant borrow my pacer lol

4. Wow, was I fooled. Until all this pissin, moaning, whinning, and I'll take my toys and go home crap, I didn't know there was so many closeted gold chain, billet, street rod lovin grumps on here!!

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

If you take a Pacer, or Gremlin, or whatever... they still got your reg fee and annual membership $$. Either make your protests vocal / visual while there or stay away, eh? Gary

6. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

NICE burn. How cavilier of you. But who knows, this image could be on a future Chevy show or AACA poster, too. Gary

8. your killin me with the Cavilier

see ya at York!

9. Spike!

Spike!

Its a Citation. I may have to issue you one for getting that wrong.

Spike

10. Um, I'm pretty sure that Cavilier is actually a Citation. I know..., I'm embarrassed that I know the difference.

DOH!!!! too slow.

11. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

The gold chain billet guys don,t care about the change thy are there to buy sell and make money. We the guys I go to the show with build our own cars. We go to see 4,000 or 5,000 pre 49 cars like we have to see what others have dun. So you bet your ass I,m pissin moaning and will take my money and go home.

12. ROCKET88COUPE

ROCKET88COUPE
    from TEXAS USA

years ago nsra told me my 49 olds 88 wasnt allowed in their shows,of course i said kiss my ass and still feel the same,dont care what years they open their doors to now,said it over 10 years ago and still say nsra--kiss my ass

13. Carpet Bomber

Carpet Bomber
    from Minnesota

Most cars at the NSRA Nats are more modern then any 1980 Camaro ever was. LS1's, LT1's, EFI, Mustang IIs, and the latest technology that can be stuffed into their pre-48. There is nothing wrong with that, and that is the root of rodding since day one.

I'm sure a lot of us surround ourselves with all car people and end up dividing each other into different categories, but we forget that we are all part off one big thing, which by the way isn't getting any larger. We can blame video games for that.

14. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

We are a dying breed. The Nanny Society along with the Greenies lead by algore have already declared us to be a menace and a blot on their imagined concept of what a picturesque landscape would depict.
    Now, with the new team in Washington, (with change on the way), the poor people that lack our means to innovate need to be helped, no doubt, with our ingenuity being declared a threat to the lielyhood of those too stupid to do what we do.
    It will be considered discrimination to use one's brain to accomplish something, unfair to use such skills because the majority doesn't have the same ability.
    The laws of supply and demand are being replaced with guv'ment intervention. The new O-BOMBER MOTOR COMPANY. will need us out of the picture so they can sell more cars. Our garages with homebaed equipment, welders, shop tools, and such, will be declared safety hazards, with only Union Certified Technicians being authorized to build automobiles.
    It will actually be a crime to modify a motor vehicle manufactured by the new O-BOMBER MOTOR COMPANY. All modified vehicles will be confinscated and crushed.

15. My buddy Lee Roy is stoked over the rule change. Now he can bring his "hot rod":rolleyes:

Attached Files:

16. mustang9093

mustang9093
    from Indiana

29 NASH is probably closer to the truth than we all would like to beleive...In the time I took to read all these posts I could have taken a ride in one of the old cars in the garage. See you on the road!!

17. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

I seem to remember the cutoff of post-48 cars was due to the design of the cars not how old they were. The argument was that 49 & up cars moved into a more modern design, i.e. independent front suspension, etc.
    I also think that at some point reference was made to the cars having to be modified.
    I had a friend who attended the Nats in K'zoo with a stock 37 Willeys which was modified with red dice valve caps as a joke!

I can't wait until my '88 Celebrity wagon is a street rod in a few more years!

The argument that young rodders can't afford a street rod doesn't hold water either. Ask an owner of a "tuner" car how much he spent on his car. The answer will surprise many people.

18. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

I guess I will have to accept what the NSRA has dictated to us. So I am building a new rod but keeping to the old car things I really prefer. Let's see I will use a Model B motor, dropped axle, wire or artillery wheels, halibrand rear, 50 pontiac tailights and King Bee heads on my 79 Gremlin with neon paint..Best of two worlds...NOT

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

NITROFC-very cool banner!!

20. So sad but probably very close to the true picture of things to come.

21. patina33

patina33

I can see it now, when a guy pulls his "79 Chevy into the Michigan Hot Rod repair area because his ground pounding speaker on the left side does not work. Love Columbus Good -Guys and any other event that is open, but I also love Louisville at "48 and older only. Wait 'till the L.A Roadster show opens up to 1980. Thank God for the Frog Follies.

22. RAY With

RAY With

No doubt the NSRA has ripped there ass on this change. Their hue and cry is it's a done deal. This cracks me up to say the least. The pencil they wrote the new rule has an eraser on the other en and if by pen there is the white out and re write. This is not the Congress of the USA but to hear them talk about the decision you would think it was, They will get some new cars but the rate of members dropping out will be a hell of a lot greater.

23. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

Very well said, I am over it. See ya. Hello more goodguys events.

24. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

I went to York got rained on fri. Sat and Sun were good. Lots of people were not happy about the 30 ruling. As I sayed we had our car club meeting. We talked about weather to stay a N.S.R.A. club. Our Ma. state rep. Jim Higgins addressed the club he told us what was behind the change. He also sayed none of this is edged in stone things could change but we would never see the pre 49 again. The club voted to stay in N.S.R.A. for now it was a close vote.

25. RDR

RDR

Haven't been an NSRA member since 90s but have ALWAYS respected their stand for pre 49 vehicles.. So sorry to hear they are more interested in $$$ and more members than being true to their convictions or bylaws.... If the cost of putting these big shows on has gotten to be so much that they'll take anyone with $$ then they need to simplify, get back to grass roots and put on events that fit their membership.....There are enough other events that all the other cars can go to ! One of the pre 49 shows here in the NW (not NSRA..Yakima Nats) opened up to 1952 and since my 34 was tore down for a rebuild I went with my '52 custom..well the comradery that I had felt for years at this event was totally gone and the feel of FAMILY was not there.. never returned to the event and heard they were wanting to raise the year to 57 maybe 62...my feeling was they were going the wrong way. The reason they gave was that the fairground had raised the price so much that they needed more people (more $$)..I say change venues..go to a park or private property and screw the city or whoever you been renting the venue from..Hell the Slo Poks in Vanc. WA. got so sick of dealing with the huge crowds and politics of the fairgrounds that they just cancelled a great show 'Ashbash' that had started out as a fun rod run at a farmers field to celebrate Mt. St Helen blowing her top and turned into a giant, I imagine, headache...Who needs that..simple is good...at least pre 49 will keep the numbers down, but evidently NSRA is more interested in BIG numbers?? That's my take on this

26. 7"Chop

7"Chop
    from Denver

I like your take.

Yes there is a certain aura being around all pre 48 rods and have lived in it for 37 years.

27. :confused:What were they thinking???? We have talked to members this last weekend in York and no one said they were in agreement with this NSRA mooove. Why did they go so far.....$$$$$$$:confused: That decision will certainly kick out lots of members.
    We certainly will show our black arm bands at our last trip to Louisville:(

28. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Having been a member on the HAMB for a while I noticed that when the NSRA name came up all that would be said was about them or a event is , "I wouldn't do to one of those goldchaining, red 32, polished billet, stuck up events if they gave me tickets and drove them up my ass". Now it seems, that the NSRA was the superbowl of street rodding that no one could ever miss even if their first born was due on that weekend. Having a event here in our fair town, and posting a "who is going thread" would always turn into a slander fest of the NSRA and their poeple and policies. Now you guys really have something to bitch about now. If you didn't support it in the past, I wouldn't cry about the future.

29. :DNow there is a quote to be sure that says it all about most of the shows we have attended.....especially the Jalopy Showdown. Shows with soul, and lots of heart!!!;)
    Thanks for these thoughts......we should all reflect:cool:

30. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The NSRA is irrelevant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.