Register now to get rid of these ads!

Windscreen? ....literally

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flipper, May 31, 2009.

1. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Anybody seen anything like this before? I found it while surfing the net.

Click on the pics for fullsize view.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  2. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

British sports cars in the pre-war days (WWII, not Iraq) often had these windscreens. My memory is fading a bit, but I believe they were call mfg'd by Brooklands. They often replaced the conventional windscreens (proper British term for a windshield) and they could be folded (goggles then worn) and they reduced drag (by approx. .001%...<smiling>)

3. Darwin

Darwin

4. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

That shape, in glass or Perspex, was used on the vintage Racecars on the Brooklands track before WW2. Thus they were called Brooklands windscreens.
    Actually making them out of opaque SCREEN seems to be taking the name just a bit too literal.

Seeing as British fenders are called "Wings"....I'm wondering if this car is full feathered...I mean, FENDERED! :D

5. Harry Bergeron

Harry Bergeron
    from SoCal

This may have been the choice for drivers worried about shattering glass in the days before tempered/laminated.

6. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

I have seen brooklands style little wind shields made with glass before. The brass screen to look through is what cought my attention. I had never seen that before.