Register now to get rid of these ads!

Desoto Hemi help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 46fatford, May 29, 2009.

1. I have a 53 Desoto 276 hemi that I am putting in my 46 Ford business coupe. The car will retain it's original trans and rear end. I figured up the RPM for a 3:54 gear set and a 3:78. At 75 MPH w/ 3:54 gerars and 30" tire I'm pulling 2973. With 3:78 at 75 MPh and 30" tires I'm pulling 3175 RPM. Will a relatively stock hemi pull these RPM's ok, or is it winding it too much? I'm thinking of running a regrind cam, and 3 or 4 deuces on progressive linkage and thats all done to engine. What is the Red line for 1 of these engines? I'm not racing it, but would like to be able to cruise the interstate if need be. Where do these motors normally make peak HP and Torque? All help is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Matt

2. When you say stock,,,,how stock?
    Quick rebuild?,,or no rebuild?

Tommy

3. 73RR

73RR

If you will be doing any rebuilding on the 276 then 'stock' is maybe not the way to go. Certain parts will need to be replaced and 'up-grades' are only a bit more. Do Not let anyone convince you that you can do a quick and cheap overhaul on an EarlyHemi, properly rebuilt this engine will cost 2x the price of something newer like a 318-360.
    With minor changes like 10:1 compression, cam regrind, and electronic ignition you'll have plenty of 'new' horsepower, in fact, your trans may be in danger...Now if you plan to restart an old engine then you may be underwhelmed by the low hp of a tired 50 year-old v-8...
    Freeway speeds and 3000 rpm is not an issue for this engine when rebuilt. Ask lots of questions before you start spending lots of money.

4. The engine is a runner and shows good compression and no smoke. I just wanted to bolt on an intake and maybe cam and go. Might eventually rebuild, but that is in the future.
    Matt

5. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

Get the motor in and make it run and then think about upgrades......the motor will work great in any fashion in a 46 Ford as long as you know how to treat an early Ford drivetrain. they handle a lot more then they get credit for if you know how to relate to them.

6. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Only intake available is the 4 carb weiand (If you can find one under a grand) or one from Vintage Speed (about 600 bucks). There are cast iron 4bbl units if you look around..
    No cams available, you have to have yours reground...

If it's a runner, just dress it up the best you can and drive the heck out of it..

I"ve got over 3k in my rebuild and getting ready to get it running now...

7. George

George

Chrysler cars in '54 had 3.35 or 3.55 rear ratios, I'd assume DeSotos were probably simular

8. EARLYHEMIBILL

EARLYHEMIBILL
    from ?

The engines look cool but are lacking in power in stock form. If you can afford it, go with a torqueflite to get some more off line umph. The old torque converters have no stall speed at all. The best upgrade for the motor would be a set of Venolias with about 9.5-1 compression. Bill

9. has anyone ever actually got their intake from vintage speed? i heard charlie never really sold any....

10. Shift_Taste

Shift_Taste
    from Ohio

It can handle it but I would go with a 3:30 or lower (numerical) gear, my dad's corvette had a 4:11 gearset and the sound got to you after about 20 minutes with the sidepipes (we changed it to a 3:50). Hell, if you are going for a 1/4 mile record you have the wrong car/motor anyhow.

11. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

No trust in Vintage speed, So I went ahead and made adapters for a 4bbl and a setup for a 2x2 on the stock 2bbl intake
    I rebuilt mine stock, except for the re-grind cam. Also added a TH 350 and a 3200 convertor to get the no-torque monster moving

12. 1955hemi

1955hemi

I have a '55 DeSoto in my '32 roadster. Finding an intake manifold will be difficult. I found a Weiand 4 two's after a couple of years of looking. Edelbrock made a single 4 barrel at one time; You could also make a log type manifold as a last resort. Iskenderian reground my cam and I got an adapter from Hot Heads to use a Mopar electronic ignition, and also headers from Hot Heads. As someone already wrote, an engine rebuild is expensive, but if you can afford it, the results are impressive. If you use the stock, unrebuilt 276 in your heavy sedan, you will probably be disappointed. A stock SBC would probably be easier to adapt, and stronger. Tranny adapters for the DeSoto are available from Wilcap or Hot Heads. Good luck.

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  13. I have located both a Weiand 4x2 and a stock 291 4 bbl intake. Which is better for streetability? I can get the 4bbl pretty cheap, less than 100.00. Still waiting to hear the price on the 4x2. I don't want to stick a sbc in the car. It deserves better. It had a cadillac 331, but it was junk. I got the Hemi basicaly for free. I figure why not use it. What is the cost for a reground cam? Can I keep the original long snout, or do i have to have it modified? The guy I got this motor from already has 1 identical to it, except its a 52 and it's in a 49 merc coupe with 3spd tranny and 4:11. He says his does just fine. Its not even cammed, but does have a Weiand 4x2 and 4 97's.

14. krooser

krooser

new intakes are available from Hamilton...

http://www.hamiltonintakes.com/products/desoto-hemi-aluminum-intake.html

15. 1955hemi

1955hemi

I have 4 97s on my '55 291 hemi, and they perform well, once I got them dialed in. The single 4 barrel would be simpler and cheaper, but lacks the eye appeal and performance ot the 4 97's. Be sure the intake you choose is made for the '52 thru '55 block. In '56 the stroke was lengthened and a '56 or later manifold will not work on your block. I don't know the current cost for a reground cam. I think you can get one through Hot Heads, or you can ask Iskenderian or American Custom Cams.

I suggest you contact Bob Walker at Hot Heads if you have additional questions . He's a straight shooter.

16. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

17. krooser

krooser

No reason to change the snout. New timing gears are available for that set-up... they are a little pricey but you'll only buy one so who cares?

Clay Smith can regrind your cam... so can Chris Nielson.

More compression would help performance but the originals ran fine with 7.1 to 1 so your don't HAVE to change it.

18. George

George

That's a steal @ 100! An edelbrock will bolt right on it if you open up the bore holes. A 4 bl is more efficient & far cheaper than a 4X2 with carbs.

19. The yard that had the 291 w/ 4bbl crushed the car, motor and all a couple of months ago. Also the 4x2 is for a raised deck 330-345. It is a Weiand and he is asking 400.00. If anyone is interested Pm me and I'll see about getting pics.
    Thanks
    Matt

20. Friend said he will take 300.00 for the Weiand 4x2 intake. Pm me if interested and I'll see about getting pics.
    Matt

21. Turns out intake was for a chrysler 331-392, and has been sold.

22. EARLYHEMIBILL

EARLYHEMIBILL
    from ?

Should run just fine. Get a set of ARP rod bolts for any of these old hemis when rebuilding. Cheap insurance. You'll probably float the valves long before any rods get stressed. Bill

23. New manufacture 4bl intakes, and new manufacture cams are both available for your 276. New cams in any type/configuration/ and grind are available from : <TABLE class=tborder id=post4562607 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead id=currentPost style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid"><!-- status icon and date -->[​IMG] <!-- / status icon and date --></TD><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid" align=right></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid" width=175>Ron In the SHOP<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_4562607", true); </SCRIPT>
    BANNED

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_4562607 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid"><!-- icon and title -->[​IMG] Re: New cam for desoto hemis
    <HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->YES,
    WE HAVE THEM.

The same as what we have been making with new updates for the last 40 years.

DODGE
    DESOTO
    CHRYSLER

long nose or short nose.

cast iron core or steel core

street or race
    nitro or gasoline...

we make them all

just give us a call

with a new name

same 'ol DONNIE Johansen

and a little bit of mee too

CONTRERAS CAMSHAFTS....
    SHOP phone...909-597-5950
    Chino, California.
    <!-- / message -->
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Intakes from 38moparfan on this Site, or Hot Hemi Heads. The Intakes I have no experience with. However, they both appear to be excellent quality. I can HIGHLY recommend the cam from Contreras. If you search Scooter McRad's "Hemi Index" on this Site, you will come up with a WEALTH of knowledge/information for your DeSoto Hemi. I have included what it cost for Machining for my 291...pistons and most parts were extra, but NOT exorbitant. As for your gear set question...I would recommend a set of gears closer to 3.23 or so. Although the engine will work with what you have, I've had a problem cruizing @ 70 with oil return to the sump. The oil return holes in the heads are quite small, an @ 70mph/3,000+ RPM, the oil has a tendency to build up in the heads and overwhelm the intake oil seals a bit...FWIW

Attached Files:

• 102.JPG
      102.JPG
      File size:
      63.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010