Register now to get rid of these ads!

Intake manifold cleaning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krackerjack88, May 28, 2009.

1. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

So I have a chevy 350/350... I have a brand new edlebrock 4bb carb on it. It's a edlebrock performer intake manifold. The reason i'm asking this is because my 2,8,3,5 plugs are fouled up with carbon. The other 4 plugs look perfect how they should. Can these intake manifolds get clogged up or go bad in anyway? Or any other leads to why only those 4 plugs are fouling out? These intake manifolds are dual plane and split inbetweeen those four cylinders. Any info is appreciated. Thanks again.

2. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

You most likely have one side of the carburetor running too rich because of too high a float level or a dirty needle and seat. Look at the boosters with the engine running and see if one of the boosters is dripping.

3. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

It should be on the passenger side since that plenum looks to feed those cylinders.

4. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

No dripping... Have any idea where those air/fuel mixture screws should be set at?

5. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Initial setting is around 1 1/2 turns out but you need to adjust it further once on the car especially if you have a pcv valve. Just adjust them to the leanest setting (clockwise) while trying to achieve the highest idle speed and or vacuum reading. Both screws should be close to the same final adjustment. If they are drastically different you have carburetor issues or a vacuum leak.

6. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Just popped my dist cap and those plugs that are fouled are carbon fouled under the cap. Along with the rotor having a little carbon on it. Could this be the cause and what would cause the carbon build up on dist and rotor.( just tuned up about 4 months ago)

7. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Do you have a serious blowby issue and PCV routed into that side of the manifold? Or possibly PCV on unbaffled valve covers that's eating oil?

8. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Pictures would help. I've seen your album but I'm betting they aren't current.

9. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

I know this is rookie stuff but can I please get a picture of how my wires go to my cap. I may have some crossed i'm starting to believe... 18436572 is what it is.

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  10. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Anyone else please... So I adjusted the screws A/F mixture and it started to foul all 8. could this be the prob?

11. slam49

slam49
    from tulsa ok

if your cap and rotor are buggard up, you should start by replacing them and the plugs, your firing order is right if its what you said..

the build up on the plugs could be coming from oil, like loose valve guides or seals.

12. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

#1 Before you go turning screws, understand what the hell is going on. Sorry to be harsh, but the worst mechanics are ones that just turn screws without knowing what the real problem is. Because once you fix the real problem, all those screws need turned back and you probably didn't keep track of where they started. In the future before you turn a screw, ask yourself "why would this adjustment need to be constantly chased?" Because when everything is mechanically kosher, you don't have to constantly fiddle with adjustments. It ain't like the movies where you re-jet every weekend.

#2 You still haven't told us how this thing runs or shown any pictures of the "fouled" plugs. Rich mixure carbon and oil deposit carbon are different looking. Trust me, if you got your firing order a little bit wrong, you'd know. It'll pop and spit and vibrate.

#3 We don't know anything about your motor. "350/350" represents about 350 million possible parts combinations. Stock iron heads? Huge cam? 200,000 miles? Ignition system?

So in the interest of tech week, give us some good information. Outline your combo, outline it's history, and give us a picture or two. With the information you've presented, I wouldn't be suprised if the 2,8,3,&5 plug wires are laying on the headers. But we're gonna need better info to tell ya.

It's the catch 22 of the hamb. Can't get a good answer without a good question. But also why the answers are so worthwhile.

good luck

13. sdluck

sdluck

Common problem what intake gasket did you use, performer have been none to suck oil from the valley and cause this problem,pull the intake and see if you have oil in the intake ports.

14. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

BTW, the carbon tracking/corrosion in the distributor is an after-effect of the plugs fouling. Fouled plugs have high resistance and the energy finds another path, leading to what you see in the cap.

Good luck

15. take a look at an Edelbrock performer intake....you will see that it is a dual plain . one side feeds 4 cylinders # 2, 8 , 3, 5 and the other side the remaining 4 cylinders of 1,7, 4 , 6

i wonder if that could possible have anything to do with it?