Register now to get rid of these ads!

454 build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Double Caddy, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

Well ive almost completed building my first big block . My 331 in my Caddy died last sept. It was making noises for a while so it wasnt completely unexpected plus the transmission was acting up also. The local tranny shop quoted a BIG FORTUNE to rebuild the hydromatic. So she sat all winter long in the driveway where the flatbed left her. My wife asked me what would make me happy cause I was bumming for a while. I told her that being able to drive the caddy would make me happy. I started to look around for a cheap motor and tranny to put back into the 53. Im not gonna restore her way too much rust in her and some shoddy body work. Shes one that looks ok but dont dig too deep. I found some buick 455 with tranny on ebay for about 500-600 bucks that were supposely runners plus there were rebuild kits around $500 . I asked my bud Scott who builds big blocks to run at bonneville His motor in a chevy chevette ran 260 there.

I think I scared him because not too long after that he found me this 454 with a turbo 400 out of a 73 rv. The engine ran and tranny shifted because he drove it back home after he found it from one of his friends.the motor has 73000 miles on it. It was nice when we pulled it out that everything was there. I got it for $600. The only bad thing was the tranny was a short shaft. He traded me another long shaft transmission that he had. It needed a new bushing. I had new seals and bushing installed so now shes as good as new.

I asked on here to see if the old motor was worth anything. most said that it was only about $150 So i decided that parting it out was the thing to do. A fellow HAMBER bought some parts. Thanks it paid for the tranny work . I sold some othe parts I had plus some of the good parts off the old 331. All told It paid for New gasket kit , bolt kit, water pump, distributer,coil,cam ,lifters, and double roller timing chain. I REALLY LIKE THIS RECYCLING STUFF. when i bought my intake and carb I though it was a performer intake but it ended up being a c-396 GM over the counter performance part.

The timing chain was stretched so ordering a new one was good. once I started to take apart I found that the bottom end was already rebuilt. so I cleaned her up really good . Scott had a mild cam and timing chain laying around and one of his friend wanted the stock intake and carb so i traded.

Now every couple of days I have been bugging the shit out of scott while ive been putting it back together. Its really great to have friends like that. Plus everyone one here has been a wealth of information . thank you to everyone . I think I have solved my motor mount issues but we will have to wait and see. As always new fixes always create new issues. check out my photo album. There are lots of pics:D

Attached Files:

2. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

Sorry guys my connection really sucks tonite so im gonna try posting a couple more pics

Attached Files:

3. LabRat

LabRat

Nice work on the horse trading ... an your new motor should fry the hides effortlessly !

4. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

Lets try one more time

Attached Files:

5. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

Shes a really mild build. Iron oval head dual plane intake and mild cam. When shes running im going to drive the hell out of her. I really liked the 331 that was in it . fired right up every time but getting the trans and motor rebuilt wasnt very cost effective for me . I think i am going to like having alittle bit more horse power HE HE. When my 53 on the road I am planning on rebuilding my 52. the body and frame are in alot better shape. I have big plans for her.

6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I have a feeling your going to enjoy the torque of that Big Block:eek::D

Frank

7. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

One of my mottos is its better to have too much than not enough.

8. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

Nothing wrong with that

9. 52RustRocket

52RustRocket

I just put a 454 in my '52 Caddy.... all of the 'innerds' are stock exept the 270 cam. I put on an old "Edelbrock Torker 2" intake and slightly modified a set of block hugger headers. I'm waiting on a Edelbrock 800cfm Thunder series carb. The 600 I have now just aint cutting it. The only problem I'm worried about is using a single drive shaft with a short tranny that uses a "bolt on" yoke and a split drive shaft.

10. 31modelo

31modelo

Like the Caddy blue, looks good Todd. Keep the pics coming as you progress

11. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

thanks for the comments guys. 52rustrocket do you have any pics? what kind of motor mounts did you use. I have ordered a set of tri 5 front big block mounts. I still am buying all the little knick knackstuff that goes along with the motor. I put on a short water pump and the pulleys were rubbing so I had to get some aluminum ones that didnt rub and the cheap fuel pump I got from the auto parts store didnt fit. I ordered a carter thats coming in tomorrow.

12. 52RustRocket

52RustRocket

No pics of the install, but heres a link to some of the motor almost finished:
    http://public.fotki.com/wemetat/454/

For mounts (for now) I made a 1/4" thick triangular plate to bolt onto the block, then welded a piece of 1 1/2" heavy wall tubing from the plate to the frame. I wouldn't suggest solid mounting if you'll be driving it much. My cam makes the whole front clip rattle like a bucket of bolts...LOL
    I'll eventually add some rubber in there some how, but for now, I'm working on getting it tuned and running hard.

13. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

Whose headers are you using? That motor looks really nice:)

Todd

14. 52RustRocket

52RustRocket

The headers are BBC Block Huggers for $89 from Summit or Jegs, but I had to slightly modify the left one to not hit the steering box, and the right one to not hit the steering arm when adding the elbow at the bottom. Nothing major, but I think I should have used truck headers instead. They look like a better fit, but not sure.

15. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

thanks for the info. Im getting close on the engine Im almost read to drop it in. all the little stuff is a pain in the butt. I ordered some shortty headers from hedmen. Im not sure if im going have to modify them. If i have to cut then i will cut.

16. chop32

chop32

Ive had a couple of truck Th-400 transmissions that had the bolt on yoke...you just take the bolt out of the output shaft and swap the bolt on yoke for a normal slip yoke...then you dont need the 2 pc slip together drive shaft.

17. 52RustRocket

52RustRocket

That would work if you have your slip yoke "counterbored", but it don't slide in enough if you don't. It will drive like that, but it wobbles. I've got all that stuff fixed now.

18. 52RustRocket

52RustRocket

Here's a few pics of it before I sqeezed it in. I need to get few of it now that it's on the road.... maybe Tues.

19. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

There is an Oring on the output shaft that seals the bolt on yoke. Remove the Oring, and a slip on yoke works fine.

20. I think it's only fair that since you're from the Old Dominion that you debut it here. So how about it? Atlee Road? The Chester cruise in? Shoosmith Bros. on Friday's? Precision's Friday night run? The August NSRA show? Let us know, really cool.

Pete
    Richmond, VA

21. Michael_e

Michael_e

Do you have any pics of the BBC going into the Caddy?

22. I think you're really lucky to get that early motor, starting in '75 or so they used much smaller heads, not the combustion chambers but the ports. Those early round ports are superior to some aftermarket small block heads! I think you'll be surprised by the way that thing will haul that heavy mutha around. I am curious why you didn't just rebuild the quadrajet. I see you used a carb spacer so I am assuming the intake is for a spreadbore.

23. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

here are some pics of the engine going in.

Attached Files:

24. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

A friend of my bud that sold me the motor needed the stock manifold and carb for a restoration . It didnt matter what intake i was using so it worked out . the manifold paid for a little bit bigger cam and double roller timing chain.the intake, carb, and spacer are edelbrock. Hey phartman once i get it on the road I will bring it down richmond way

25. Mate,

Love the motor but dig the story even more.

Danny

26. That's gonna be nice! And you don't have to screw with that bizzare oil/vacuum pump thing. Parts for a 454 are a bit easier to get too.

27. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

Thats very true on the parts. It was always a hit or miss thing at the parts store with the 331. the headers just came in today and it looks like they will fit without any mods. I ordered shorty headers for a big block 67-69 camaro. the block hugger headers that are available you had to mod on the drivers side to clear the steering column. I wont know until I get the motor in which i hope will be next weekend. the hedman headers that i just got go back and down close to the oil filter on the drivers side and straight back on passenger side.

28. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

Well I got the hedders installed I think they are going to work beautifully.

Attached Files:

29. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Lookin good man! I can't wait to see it done and that thing should scoot!

30. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

I cant hardly wait myself. Im not the patient type