Register now to get rid of these ads!

37 Ford Fenderless?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Edelbroke, May 23, 2009.

1. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

I'd like to build this 37 Ford I just picked up into a fenderless rod, only because I dont have rear fenders or running boards, Most of the metal work is done, and it will be smoothed in either primer to start and eventually paint Are there any nice looking 37 Fords WITHOUT fenders out there? Also some ideas for front suspension, The frame is the original 37 fully boxed, I'd like some ideas, thanks
    [​IMG]

2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Unless you're building it into a vintage racecar, you're not going to get very much support for that idea around here. I think you'll have a lot better luck finding some nice fenders than making that car look good fenderless...:cool:

3. Jax2A

Jax2A

I've alway been on the fence about this one, I've seen very few 37's without fenders that I liked. I think you have a better chance of pulling it off with the two door sedan vs a coupe though.

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Don't do it unless you're planning on coming out with the wildest most well-proportioned 37 Tudor custom car ever conceived.

5. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

Only if its a race car

6. rear fenders are available in fiberglass from Wescott's ,or you should be able to find usable ones and running boards at a swap meet

7. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

It would have to be chopped and channeled but not too low, dropped I beam with split bones pushed 2" forward, go for it!!!

8. turdchazer

turdchazer
    Member Emeritus
    from Spokane

one word.....Fenders.

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

There was ONE about 10 years ago or so that looked pretty good. Blue? It's not easy or popular. That was the nicest attempt that I've seen.

10. dudley32

dudley32

I did a 36 coupe..and it looked nice..if you don't alter by channeling you can always put on fenders later...

11. racemad55

racemad55

Nothing fenderless newer than 34' IMO, unless like said before , old stockcar !

12. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Jerry Kugel built a contemporary-styled coupe a few years ago that came out looking pretty neat. It was a plastic three window.

There was one running around here a while (ok, about a decade) ago that had sort of a circle track vibe. It was unique, and not altogether uncool.

What you are proposing is a little unusual, but possible. I think you will have to move the front axle forward, and figure out some way to blend in the hood sides if you want it to look other than awkward. Draw and/or model before you start welding and hammering. There will always be some that object, but you might be able to pull it off.

13. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

my good friend who passed away owned a sedan fenderless,it came out of Cali.it is Blue with flames i will try to find some pics to post.Yes it can be done and it can look great....

14. Fat fendered cars are not natures choices for the traditional fenderless race car look (highboy). And fenderless does not automatically equal cool. So, there are horses for courses and you car was born to wear fenders. They are not hard to get as pointed out. Good luck with it, it looks like a very good start.

15. greeno

greeno
    from Fresno,Ca.

Yeah!! put femders on it and you can have one that looks like everybody elses car.
    It's like an artist painting the same picture over and over.
    Innovate or Evaporate
    Gary

16. Wow, you must be short on ideas.

Pull the fenders on a mustang - that'll look great too, according to your logic.

BTW what do femders do? Keep chicks off?

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  17. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BINGO!

N'uff said, fenders man, just do it.

18. Onelow34

Onelow34

Here is one that I liked. Im doing the same thing, but im leaning more towards the idea of an old stock car since mine was covered in STP/Champion stickers, and had mud caked into the body!

btw, if you are going to run fenderless, you gotta put a straight axle back underneath it and not a mustang II or other conversion, thats my opinion.

Attached Files:

19. Coke-bottle

Coke-bottle

Find the fenders! you can use '38 fenders and running boards also if you want, but Rear fenders are little different in the rear

20. Onelow34

Onelow34

38 fenders won't work on the front unless you want to change the front end, and lose the grille, hood sides you already have! and rear fenders won't work either, different dimensions. Don't Change the front end if you don't have to, you have a 37, which in my opinion looks better than a 38! :)

21. felix37

felix37

Find some fenders and a used frame,Throw a straight axle and split bones on it and roll! I realize a bunch of guy's are telling you to use your imagination and to be creative and all that stuff,but remember,There's alot of art out there that looks like ASS.The few fenderless 37's out there that do look good have very extensive body mods and fabrication done to them. Do you want a life long project or do you want to drive?

22. missysdad1

missysdad1

Start by collecting the parts to repair the frame and running gear while you put out feelers for the missing sheet metal. Give yourself the opportunity to look at a lot of '37 - '38 Fords built all kinds of ways before you jump into any particular theme.

Time has a way of answering questions like this. Good luck! :)

23. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

It's neat to look out there and see the tires turnin' when I drive my fenderless. What it looks like to a detached observer is meaningless.

24. If you are contemplating running fenderless because you don't have them and don't want to spend the money, it's probably not going to look good.
    If you are considering it because you are going to do extensive and tasteful metal work to make it all come together (Read expensive or time consuming) then go for it.

25. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

I ran my truck without front fenders for about 4 months. Put all the old banged up fenders and hood sides back on and it looked 100% better. Still searching for good replacement fenders 3 years later.

DO what you like. hotroddons spot on.

26. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

i have yet to see a 37 with out finders that looked good.the front end on a 37 is what makes it what it is.

27. rainman1958

rainman1958

Build a streetable stockcar clone problem solved.

28. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

29. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

30. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Here is my friends Fenderless 37.
    i love this car.it was built in Cali about 10 years ago.

Attached Files: