Register now to get rid of these ads!

how do you keep people from jackin your ride?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65fordguy, Sep 24, 2008.

1. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

"Perfect example is my neighbor. Went on vacation. Has a very nice Vicky in the garage w/ all the kill switches & such.
    Neighbors saw the flatbed tow back up the driveway. Guy breaks into the garage side door & opens the roll up door. Hooked the winch to it & drug it on the truck, closed the door off they went. No one thought anything of it".
    Call Chip...maybe it's being 'overhauled'.:D

"I deflate the airsystem down, set her on her balls and pull the control panel out".
    'Her' has 'Balls'??!!!:eek:

"A mate had an open car with no top, and he drove it every day. His 'secret' was a set rabbit trap on the drivers seat under the mexican blanket. The trap was sprung quite a few times, but the car was never stolen".
    Good one!!!:cool:

2. Straight pipes are just like car alarms,,,,, you just get to hear them drive away.

3. 65fordguy

65fordguy

what about a car alarm system with a starter disable.... o yeah and a "club" for fun.

4. bubbletopbuick

bubbletopbuick
    from Indy

Just remove the battery. Thieves don't think to lug one around with them.

5. 54 savoy

54 savoy

hell i can't get it started i know they can't,or park a 74 chevy truck behind it and let the battery die,

6. pyro3256

pyro3256
    from OKC

while working as a comercial electrican i once saw a machine operator. stick a key fob looking thing on the controll box of his machine and it powered on. i ask. he said it was a safty switch trigered by a rare earth magnet. super strong. so i found the supplier. and put it in place of the ignition key. put the "key" just a magnet in a ring. just flip a switch to the on. and tap the dash. thats it. almost iposible to hot wire. and i always had the key. was a bit pricey though. @ 120$ or so i remember.
    but i agree with most if they want it bad enough, they will get it.

7. FWIW, you can buy the special tools to take apart a GM column with a few hand tools and not even wreck anything, for about $20 between Harbor Freight and a parts store. Pull the wheel, pull the lock plate, unscrew the turn signal switch, take out one bolt, pull the lock cylinder out, put the signal switch in, if you're in a hurry slap the wheel on and go. If your car's in a driveway or not readily visible, 20 minutes or so I could swap the locks out and drive it away with my own key. Or leave the lock cylinder out and use a screwdriver or needlenose pliers in there.

8. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

I have a ragtop, leave the windows down and the doors unlocked so they won't rip the top to get in. I put the battery in the trunk with a removable RV killswitch key, hidden electric fuel pump switch, hidden ignition and starter switchs. They would have to tow it or spend a hella of a long time wiring it up..

9. Retrorod

Retrorod

....just stick your hand in there.

DSCN2801 (Small).JPG

10. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

can't believe you got full coverage on 1996
    did the check cover a trip to mcdonalds or were you able to buy a new ride ?

11. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

one shot on the left side of the bowl assembly with a hammer and you are gone
    ghetto kids could steal a caddy in less than 20 seconds , boys and girls
    86-87 gm started with pass lock , but insurance rates never dropped

12. mj40's

mj40's

Damn, I think I would go for your guns!

13. Scrumpy

Scrumpy
    from NH93 Exit1

I see a bunch of folks responded with a switch to the coil or fuel pump or other device. One modification to this that works well is to place an inline fuse in the wire and the switch grounds the power after the fuse instead of opening the circuit. If the thief tries to steal it the fuse pops. Then if they find the switch it will still fail as the circuit is now open until the fuse is replaced. Just make sure you have spares somewhere in the car as you will pop one yourself at some point I guarantee it.

Scrump.

14. DoubleUc

DoubleUc
    from IL

I'm sure someone has said this but i was too lazy to read all of the posts,
    battery disconnect switch in a well placed spot, and or a fuel shut off (hand valve at the hardware store) easy to plumb too if you use soft hose fuel line (the blue stuff). lol looks like someone beat me to the punch.

15. Westside Lefty

Westside Lefty
    from Venice

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  16. 65fordguy

65fordguy

yeah the truck only had about 60k miles on it and loaded/ rebuilt/ repainted/ raised up 3 inches.

Statefarm here will fully insure just about anything... I could of gotten full on my old jalopy but it would of cost 130 a month.... after Im done restoring it.. that will drop in half. I really like the state farm insurance company... been real good to me over the last few years.

17. use a piece of rubber hose for a coil wire

18. The Hop Walla

The Hop Walla
    from Dallas

Keep them from stealing it...why? Please take my rusty, over-insured pile of crap. I'll take the check and go hotrod shopping.

dka

19. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

well if you dove a piece of shit like I do you wouldn't have to ask that question, I don't think anyone would go to prison for stealing my junk pile.

20. I put so many flames and striping on my cars they would be a fool to try and run with it. Can't run and hide in a carnival ride.

Mikey
    "I do bad things to good cars"

21. 3windowford

3windowford
    from Edison NJ

I hide the switch that turns on the ignition. In one car the four way flasher is the ignition switch, in other car the high beam switch is the ignition switch. Who would think to get into a car and step on the hi beam switch before they start they car ?

22. Harry Bergeron

Harry Bergeron
    from SoCal

On the distributor cap, I've swapped the coil wire for one wire to a cylinder. No thief in a hurry would figure it out unless your coil wire is a different color.

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My high school auto shop teacher had a 40 someting Dodge pickup with a switch to lock the brakes after they were applied. I believe it was a setup for a wrecker.

Anyhow one of my buds an I had to go to the Local Dodge dealers bone yard to get some part for use in the shop one day and we somehow locked the brakes. After we walked a mile back to the school (pre cell phone) and he got done laughing at us he took us back and showed us how to unlock the brake valve.
    That setup was very simple and very effective.

Simple things are probably the best thing to keep the average grab and run car thief at bay.

I like the hidden switchs for the fuel pump, coil wire and start system. The pushbutton in the neutral safety or start wire might even keep the five year old from accidently starting the car if he/she happens to get in it with the key in the switch.
    Lojac and OnStar type systems work well if the car stays within where the signal can be picked up.
    From this thread I have finally found the first really logical reason to have a car/truck that will lay frame. It finally makes sense.

I have guns and can well use them but don't count me in on the group that will use one on someone to keep a car from being stolen. If they show that they intend to harm me or mine that's a different story but I don't own a car worth spending the rest of my life in jail for because I shot some crackhead because he decided he needed another car to strip.

24. pila38

pila38

I leave mine in many different pieces in the garage and the garage attic. I rest easy no one will find all the pieces and put them together before me :)

25. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

2 German Shepards a Poodle to wake them up Plenty of guns an alarm and 1 crazy wife:eek:

I worked in a GM dealership and we used to install kill switchs all the time you would have to hit the power door locks. etc. I had them wire one in my 62 Impala so thet you would have to push the cig lighter in to start. And whenever I would leave the car I would just stick the lighter im my pocket.

26. old1946truck

old1946truck

Or what if it has an unsynchronised transmission?

27. Joe King

Joe King

nobody want my truck so I don't have to worry

28. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

29. 65fordguy

65fordguy

nice...

Im looking into doing something like the cigarette lighter trick... might be just as simple as using one of the available accessory switches with the factory knobs. dunno. anyone have any wiring diagrams for doing something like this?