Register now to get rid of these ads!

lets see your portable work/welding carts...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Sep 25, 2004.

1. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

my buddy Dan just bought a new plasma cutter and decided to build a new cart that his welder AND plasma cutter will fit on, along with having a steel work surface above. i will have to remember to get a pic of it this weekend. anyway, he gave me his old welder cart/work table, so i put my plasma cutter on it and made a few modifcations to hold my most used fabrication tools. i have a spot for my hammer, my bent screwdriver/prybar thingy, my tape messure, a marker and a wire brush. plus i welded in a bar to hang my vise grips from and made a mount to hang my 4 1/2" grinder. it has a 2 outlet electrical box mounted to it (by Dan) with a heavy duty extension cord that i can plug into the garage, so i have power at the cart. it has places to hang all the cords and hoses from the plasma cutter and the outlet, a 1/4" steel plate work surface and heavy duty swivel casters in front with a pair of big ole wheels from an old hospital gurney on the rear. the very bottom shelf is a great place to store my Sawzall (which i have never been able to find a good home for, till now.) and still has room for a few other rarely used items or spare part.

i plan to make and mount a drawer to the bottom of the work surface so i have another place to keep clutter [​IMG]. i also plan to mount an airline quick disconnect to the framework with a 'T' so i can have one air hose run to the cart but have it split and hook to the plasma cutter and have a short hose that i can run my airtools from when working on or near the cart. this way i don't have to keep unhooking the air from the plasma cutter everytime i need to use an air tool.

i wish i could have my welder and plaz on the same cart, like Dan. that would be quite convenient, but my welder is real big and has it's own wheels. still, this cart should make working on projects much more enjoyable and efficient.

Attached Files:

2. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

Attached Files:

3. the_horrormoans

the_horrormoans

Nice kart!! shit you couldn't get a kart like that for under $200!! (I think). Hell slap some paint on that sucka and sell it for $200!! [​IMG]

4. KCMongo

KCMongo
    from KC

I've posted it here before but here's mine I made last year out of a wheel chair I paid 20 bucks for.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

It's been so handy the way it is, I've not taken the welder off to finish it and paint it, since I got it done. Plans for it include adding a drawer under the welder to get it up a little higher and make a place to keep all my clutter, add actual hooks to hold the grinders and a couple 4 gang boxes to wire the extension cord too and keep everything plugged in.
    MONGO

5. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Mike,

Get to work on the Chevy! Only two weeks to go for the pile up!

6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

for a welding cart I shrunk a grocery cart I found under an overpass

Attached Files:

7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

for a roll around work bench I use this one I scrounged from a job we demo'd

Attached Files:

8. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

thats what i'm talkin about. some real clever shit guys...

9. My roll-around welding/fab table. I made it to lower and mount the 26T body on it when I do the bodywork. As you may see ,my garage floor is very uneven ,so I put level screws on the corners. [​IMG]

10. plan9

plan9

[ QUOTE ]
    My roll-around welding/fab table. I made it to lower and mount the 26T body on it when I do the bodywork. As you may see ,my garage floor is very uneven ,so I put level screws on the corners. [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

that is cool, was kinda wondering how to tackle the same problem but havent gotten to the point where it matters much... very clever dude, thanks for posting it.

11. james

james

Turbo-- I had to save that pic-- that is nice! The only improvement I could see is some pads on those leveling screw so it doesn't dig into the concrete. Nice job.

12. Thanks for the kind words guys. Just wanted to add that I also mounted a 110v 4-gang metal outlet box on the table , fed by a 20' drop cord for grinders ,etc..I also keep a few pieces of 3/4" plywood handy to lay on top when I need an extra flat work surface.... and James , I was in a metal shop the other day and picked up a handful of 1/4"x 2" discs from their turret punch scraps. I'm gonna weld those on the leveling screws for pads as you suggested. Thanks
    Stan

13. Phil1934

Phil1934

I'm happy with my $30 Harbor Freight cart. It's too shaky to use as is, but mig weld all the joints and it's a fine cart. Ther bottle holders are too low for a 80 CF Co2/argon, though. A strap at the top works.

14. haring

haring

I clicked on this thread expecting to just see variations on bottle carts, but there are some great ideas here! Thanks for the inspiration.

15. Glen

Glen

I will try to get a pic of mine tomorrow, its covered in plastic becuase I have been painting.

I could not do without one of these carts, The top of mine is 1/4" steel so its heavy and will not tip over or slide when do heavy work.

16. plan9

plan9

BTTT... Glen? pictures! pronto! [​IMG]

turbo26T - your rig is deffinately well thought out.

17. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

[ QUOTE ]
    BTTT... Glen? pictures! pronto! [​IMG]

turbo26T - your rig is deffinately well thought out.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, what he said...

18. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

After reading this thread last week, I got motivated to finally get my welder off the floor.

It was late in the day and the steel yard was already closed, so I just used left over metal I had laying around.

The wheels are off an old lawn mower. The casters cost me 7 bucks at the local Northern Tool store.

God, why did I have that thing on the floor for 5 years? The cart makes life a lot better.

Attached Files: