Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Model A stamping question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bluethunder1221, May 20, 2009.

1. bluethunder1221

bluethunder1221

Ok, I have a question for you all, I am working on a model A p/u. I am lost on if this is a 1930 or a 1931, the first number of the serial number is not legible so the MAFCA page is unhelpful, I am getting mixed messages, my ford does not have split side splash which makes it a 1931, but the grille is not painted and all chrome, could be an older grille on the Rod. No registration...looking for one...no engine numbers (replacement engine) my main question is when did Ford change the "1" to and "I" and the 9's and 6's? Hope someone can help please.

2. Gnashty1

Gnashty1

Split splash makes it a 30, although I expect they may have carried it over for a while on the trucks.

3. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

One piece splashs makes it a 31. Pickups used painted radiator shells so yours has probably been changed. Some pickups used one piece splash aprons even in 30 though.

4. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Soft of steel roof? Late 31s were steel.

5. cafekid

cafekid

whats the firewall look like if it has like a reversed upside down teardrop on the passengerside where the fuel line comes through then it is most deffinately a 31... all you need to do is look at that. now the other question i have no idea sorry dude

6. Hoop-in-JAX

Hoop-in-JAX

"Early 1931" - Henry's Lady

7. mottsrods

mottsrods

Sounds like a very late 30, or 31.....if you got the motor, get the numbers off of it.

8. Hoop-in-JAX

Hoop-in-JAX

I quoted Henry's Lady which is a reference source for Model A's. It is not a "very late 30." There is an even more technical reference commonly known as the "Judging Standards" but is also the official restoration guide for both national MARC and MAFCA clubs and is used as the rules for judging.

The numbering style was changed "in March 1931."

Model A folks are really cranky about this shit.:) "Sounds like" doesn't get it.

9. bluethunder1221

bluethunder1221

Hey guys, I really appreciate you all taking the time to reply to this, it helps knowing the stamping part, that really puts the answer to the question, thanks to all of you for helping figure this out.