Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mouting an SBC in an F1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ponyboy49, May 14, 2009.

1. ponyboy49

ponyboy49
    from wisconsin

One more day till "Auto Motion" in Wisconsin Dells. Cant wait to get my fix. Should be about a thousand cars @ the show this year. Thats what they said on the radio anyway.

Aside from that I have questions. I have a 1969 sbc 350 that I will be mounting into a 49 F1. I have found a universal engine cross-member kit @ transdapt.com w perches welded on and the option to buy w the pads. You cut the ends to fit your frame. Included in the kit are end caps that you then weld on to the cross member before welding it into your vehicle. This is my first undertaking of a project like this so keep in mind I dont know what I'm doing. My questions are---

-Has anyone else used this kit and how did it work out?
    -Secondly, is this the easiest way to do this swap? (dont mean to sound lazy but I would like to get it on the road this decade)

-Will I need to remove the front mounts from the original flathead?

Just want to say thanks in advance for any advice. This forum is priceless.

Ryan

2. You won't be able to us ethe mechanical fuel pump if its a Hurst style mount.

3. ponyboy49

ponyboy49
    from wisconsin

It has a stock mechanical fuel pump currently. Is that what you mean? Have you used the kit?

4. My take, Hurst style usually refers to front of the block types, intefering with the pump. I believe the trans-dapt type uses the later motor mounts (on the sides), trimming the end of the cross tube to fit the particular chassis. I used a transdapt type on my F-1 before I switched to the Volare front end. I cut the flathead mounts out, but don't remember if it was necessary (pre HAMB days, wouldn't do it now).

5. i believe this is the mount that pony boy is talking about , and it uses side mounts like charleyw described. there should be no problem with that mount and a stock mechanical fuel pump. while i have never done this swap or used that mount, it appears to me that is should work. i would also guess that the existing F1 transmission mount could be modified to work with your new tranny. a sbc in a F1 or F100 pickup is very popular so i'm sure others on here will know more..

[​IMG]

6. 4rod

4rod

Traitor...you should have fifty lashes...with Spark wires...Traitor...or rather darksider...

7. I had a truck with that mount in it and it worked fine the flathead mounts were still there if I remember correctly. The PO only bolted it in no welds, it kinda scared me but I sure it held for at least 20+years. I think I would throw some welds on there. Why not build some mounts from scratch? Its not that hard and then you don't have to say it a kit. Whats blasfamous about pulling a flathead and butting in a sbc? People have been doing it since 55. It may not be your tradition but it is traditional. The tranny crossmember mount will not work if you put an auto behind it, but again not a real hard part to fab up yourself.

RichT in Sanazay likes this.
  8. ponyboy49

ponyboy49
    from wisconsin

I have to admit my shop is not as well equipt as I would like it to be. So making mounts from scratch is difficult when your lacking the correct equiptment to do so. As far as swapping the flathead Im far from devil worship. I love the flatty but I also enjoy keeping up w traffic. Dont worry Im saving it for something else. I am ford through and through, never owned a chevy anything but the price was right my friend and I think that's as traditional as it gets.

9. kjohnson

kjohnson

I have a stock 8ba with factory 4 speed with a 8.8 rear end with 3.23 and can run 65 all day long. I have to admit 75 might be pushing it but I figure more time behind the wheel is a good thing:).

10. ponyboy49

ponyboy49
    from wisconsin

My truck came with a 1942 low compression 81t. It runs well and I have driven it plenty but in the words of Ricky Bobby " I wanna go FAST!!"

11. 283, T400, 12bolt 3.00 gears and L 78's it likes 75 to 80 all day long!
    Yeah save the flatty for a hot rod project!

12. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

They work well...and they are the easiest to install, if you ask me! I'd weld in the side flanges to the frame, though.

13. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

"Built Ford though with all my Chevy stuff". I've always thought that phrase was kind of catchy. Although I own and drive flatheads, I like driving in the left lane once in a while too and a sbc is the easiest way to get there.

14. So you're a restoration guy?:confused:

Nothing wrong with an SBC.

They've powered more hot rods than all the other motors combined so I'd say that's pretty trad.:cool:

And . . . look at it another way, pulling the F1's flatmotor frees up an engine for a flathead enthusiast....:D

15. dgc15

dgc15

I used one like that. Works fine. Bolted it to the frame with grade 8 bolts. It makes it easy to offset the motor to clear the steering box. I offset 1" to right. I had to use a transmission crossmember for the trans(700R4). Had to cut the center out of the stock crossmember. leave the sides of the original so you can used the stock pedals. Here is a pic. if you look close you can see the engine mount.

Attached Files:

16. FWIW I modified my stock cross member to accept a TH 350. But I set my engine fairly high in the frame for scrub line clearence. You might be able to see it in the album pics in my profile. I've cut them completely out in other F-1 builds but wasn't happy with the loss of frame rigidity in a frame that was already designed to be fllexible.

17. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

On my F1 I used bolt in sbc mounts from Chassis Engineering. They have a C channel that slips inside the stock frame and can be bolted or welded. They use a standard ford rubber biscuit mount. I didn't want the crossmember type of mount since I was installing a Jag front end and didn't want interference issues.

18. mottsrods

mottsrods

I'm kinda in the realm of Ford in a Ford, Chevy in a Chevy..... unless your building a fenderless hot rod to showcase and engine.....and even at that, SBC's are just tooooo common. I have a '51 Ford F-5 with a flathead in it, dual rear wheels and juice brakes. I'm gonna build a custom frame, channel the body a bit, 'z' the front and rear, and still use the original front end and rear end..........and most importantly i'm still gonna use the flathead and the 4 speed....

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've used a couple of those mounts to put small blocks in different pickups. They make for a pretty clean and scab free installation.
    I'd suggest not welding anything up untill you get it fitted up just the way you want it with everything squared away.

20. dgc15

dgc15

ponyboy49,
    Here is a pic of the trans cross member.
    Hope it is what you wanted and that it helps.

Attached Files:

21. hoof

hoof

Used one to install a 400 in my F1, I had to mount it all the way against the top of the frame rail to get clearance between the oil pan and axle. Definetely don't weld it in until you are REALLY sure it is where it needs to be, I moved mine a few times. Of course I don't really know what I am doing so maybe that won't apply to you. The one I got used a specific motor mount (I had to get the right year, make and model motor mount for it to work), but I searched around and I think I got mine for like $80 or something like that. I paid almost that much at Napa for the motor mounts (CPP wanted $50 a pc. for the motor mounts!)
    CHAZ