Register now to get rid of these ads!

The 36 chev lives!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zippeay, May 18, 2009.

1. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

Well I haven't posted much on the main site in a long time. Mostly because I'm on the Utah HAMBer's page. Anyway I finally got my truck to where it run's and drives. Still got a ways to go but for just throwing some carbs on this things and not tuning it, it runs awesome.
    I'd like to thank first and most SteeljunkieII. I bought the truck from him already chopped with the motor in and he rebuilt my carbs. I did do a lot of work myself IE floor pans, brake/gas lines, cut the bed, wood for the bed and floor, made the header's, mounted the seat, "old man did most the wiring" and a ton of other shit.
    Anyway James "SteeljunkieII" is one hell of a guy. I know I called him a million times with questions "this was my first/mostly complete build" and he helped me out a ton. Everyone here in Utah thanks for everything. I know there are a ton of people "Uncle Max, Steeljunkie, Asshole garage, Hotrodpackard, Tim McCnees just to name a few" That really helped me out with advice and everything. I just want you all to know I appreciate everything and I look forward to going to Bo Huffs this year and whatever else we can get into.
    Well here's the video it's kinda short because my old man put the camera down right after I got going but you get the idea.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SWs9C-uRLo

2. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

Is it that ugly? Any opinions? Good or bad I'd like to hear it. I'm still going to do it my way but if anyone has any suggestions/comments let em fly.

3. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I like it.
    Keep on keepin' on.

4. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Very Cool truck. What year wheels are those? Tell us a bit more about the suspension on the front and back? I am looking to get a '31 Chevy a bit lower and I am checking out all options.

6. Von Farly 1923

Von Farly 1923
    from Sacramento

Looks great! You got a cool stance and like dig those headers. Kinda quite though :D.

7. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

Looks great

Post some details and some build pics.

Gary

8. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Build pics make the world go round. Looks good!

9. hvychvy

hvychvy

Ugly????Shit man,that thing is killer.Nothing like drivin it for the first time.CONGRATS.

10. PAPASMURF

PAPASMURF

do you have a build thread? I cant get on you tube at work.

11. Lizard

Lizard
    from Benson Az

Very cool to bring something old back to life.

12. chopper99

chopper99
    Member Emeritus

Cool, I like the "W" block.

13. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

Your ride is hot...
    Bad a$$...
    Props for making it happen, I have to bump this up.
    Hopefully some of the people on here will stand up and give you love..
    Way to go again Nick..

14. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

I will post pics of the build from where I started but it will have to be later tonight. SteeljunkieII made the frame and set up the rear suspension and the front leaf springs but I don't know all the info on that. I really like the way he did it, it gives it a whole different look than the ford frames and axles. I think he said it's a modified 39 chevy car frame. I put in the thin friction shocks because I had no other choice. There wasn't much room and even the thin friction shocks were a real tight fit. The rear has coils and the only ford part on the whole truck is the drag bars everything else is chevy.
    The carbs are stromberg 48's and I started to rebuild them myself and ran into so trouble so SJII and hotrodpackard rebuilt them. One of the housings was kinda screwed up so Unclemax hooked me up with a new upper housing "Thanks max".
    The frame is "Z'd" and the cab is chopped about 6" I believe. The bed is obviously shortned to 4ft. The crate in the back is an old Jack Daniels crate, I honestly don't know if it's a real antique but I liked it and it fits the battery. I'll post more pics and explain a little more later. I have to go get the safety insp done on it lol...
    Thanks Alex your the man! You and the wife need to come visit!

15. Very nice. Good engine choice too.

16. Crease

Crease

Too cool man, she looks great!!

You headed to Texas any time soon?

17. triton6972

triton6972

Looks great Nick. Good job.

18. HRH

HRH

Hey Nick, The ride looks Bad-Ass. Dig the Hell out of it!!!! How the hell you gonna fit all of your kids in there?

-christian-

19. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

I sold them all to pay for it lol... ass!

20. impala_jo

impala_jo

Damn Nick!!! It looks KILLER.. Post some more pics when you get a chance..

21. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

Sorry it took so long my daughters Bday took a lot longer than I thought. Here they are I'll have to post some descriptions later on. Anyway here are some. I have a lot more but hopefully this show's a bit of what we did. The pic right below this paragraph is how I bought it for SteeljunkieII. He did everything up to that point and set up the steering.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

I took some pics of the suspensions for whoever asked. That pic doesn't show where I mounted the friction shocks but I'm sure you were talking about the leaf springs anyway.
    The rest of the pics are from the when I made the tunnel and floor. It also show's parts of how I shortened the bed and the wood I put in it, I also put the same wood and stain in the floor on the drives and pass side.
    For whoever asked about the wheels, they are late 30's chevy 6 lug wheels that I had my brother in-law powder coat. I plan on getting some nice 30's chevy hub caps for it when I get some more $$$. I'm also planning on getting a repop 40 chevy tailgate with the "chevrolet" in script across it. I'd get an original but I've never seen one and never seen one on ebay or anywhere. Anyway...
    I did cut the seat tray I made out because I was going to make my own seat until I found out how much foam is around here... I paid 40 bucks for a nice caravan seat that I can recover when I get some more time.
    Oh does anyone know what the hood ornament is from? I bought it off egay and it said 33 chevy car??? I have no idea but I thought it was really cool.
    I put in all original gauges but I think they are car not truck gauges. I put a vintage 50's suicide knob on the 41 "I believe" chevy car steering wheel. I also put in a 37 car glove box with an ash tray in.
    Thanks all the Barrons/San Antonio guys for all the comments. Maybe I'll make it out your way with it one day. Thanks for everyone else's comments I'm glad you all seem to like it.

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  23. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

More More More......

What did you do for rear suspension?

Any better pics of the steering setup and motor mounts.

Thanks, Gary

24. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

I will have to pst more later. I can't post pick from work. I spent all night replacing the out seals in the rear end. I love 90 wt late at night lol. I also found out that you don't want to put rubber around the doors and try to force the door shut... The old latch systems don't like that at all. So I spent a good hour fixing that too. At least I know how he latch system works now.

25. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

I'm sorry Gary I don't have any more pics of what your asking for. I can take some but it's going to take a few days. Here's some more pics of the build. Here is what I have of the front suspension. This is an early pic without the frictions shocks. The rear is coil over's Gary. I can take pic's but it's nothing super crazy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Maybe you can see the coil over's in this picture but I doubt it.

26. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

Love the truck I had a chance to buy one, but the wife said no!

27. 21tat

21tat

28. brady1929

brady1929

29. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Looks great....I like the engine you chose....perfect.

30. amueller454

amueller454
    from Roy, Utah

i saw the truck yesterday at the autorama and immediately loved it and tried to find the owner but had no luck but luckily i saw you had a H.A.M.B alliance board tag on the firewall so i had a lead at where i could find the truck. i am building a 40 chev pickup and would like to check out the truck a little closer. i live in roy so i'm right next door. anyway if you dont mind me takin a look at it sometime pm me.

thanks, Aaron.