Register now to get rid of these ads!

My boy can weld! pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by striper, May 17, 2009.

1. RichG

RichG

I always love to read these posts, I don't think a lot of people realize just how important they are to their kids.

Super big kudos to you for involving your son in what you do. Giving him a focus and purpose will pay huge dividends shortly, as other things will vie for his attention. The positive influence you have today will play HUGELY into what kind of person he becomes.

You are alright in my book guy:)

2. death trap man

death trap man
    from Atco NJ

Give some one a fish they eat for one day, Teach them to fish they eat for a lifetime, teach them to weld and they be cursed for life with the urg to build sh!t

Right on man, wish someone would have started me earlier, I'd have twice as many unfinished projects, LoL

3. gr8ness13

gr8ness13
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool.....

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Started gluing stuff together when I was 8/9 with an old Forney buzz box which I still have. My old man couldn't keep me away from it, I was hooked. Still trying to learn to weld 50+ years later. Always something new to learn. Hope your boy keeps going.

5. Jax2A

Jax2A

Love the motorcycle, great job. My dad turned me loose on the welder when I was around the same age while he was building a trailer to haul wood in. Pointed me at a pile a scraps after some basic training and said have at it. I think he was pretty proud until he realized I used a few pieces he'd cut for the trailer that I thought were scrap. Didn't get too mad though.

6. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

Great post! I'm glad to see there are kids out there interested in other things besides video games and tv.He could be the next big builder,ya never know....
    .............Thanks for posting........

7. striper

striper

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys. Don't be fooled. He is big time into his PSP, Nintendo and television. Hopefully this can at least temper his addiction :)

I went to 2 welding shops today trying to get a smaller mask or head harness. No joy. We'll have to stick with the beanie under the mask for packing.

You guys have some great stories there and I only hope this is one that grows and is remembered.

Pete

8. unclechop

unclechop

"so I have a big opportunity and to date I've wasted it."

Geez that hits a raw nerve:(
    Where has the time gone and what have I taught my 2 boys?

9. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

Man that is awesome ,great job Dad you both should be proud!!!

10. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

yup thats cool ..it not what you do for them its what you do with them they will remember ;)

11. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

spending time with your son is the best time of your life. Mine is grown and in the Army , I miss all the question and I even miss ( a little) the mess he always left in the garage.

12. dentprone

dentprone

That's great....there are not as many dads passing on good knowledge these days.

13. woody2

woody2

You took the words right out of my mouth there Lucas.
    I could'nt have said it better myself.
    Awesome, Stripper keep him at it.

14. thats cool man .. i have a 3 year old and a 4 month old. the 3 year old is already helping me in the garage on the cars im hoping she will continue to be interested...sometimes i get carried away teaching her things that i know are beyond her little 3 year old brain but then again she never stops amazing me what she already knows.....

15. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Thank you. The reason I thank you is that I see very few kids that are into anything real. By real I mean not on tv or a video game. Pete, your son gives us hope for the future.

16. El Gordo

El Gordo

Wow does this hit close to my heart!

Dad was a welder and he passed away when I was 9

What he could have taught me...............

click here for Dad's History

I make sure to include my son with all aspects of the build and

he is always there for me.

He is in grade 10 now and in auto shop class and the teacher, after spending half the class explaining to the other kids how to check the air in tires ( and most not getting it ) talks with my boy about the trans. swap we did on the weekend:cool:

17. El Gordo

El Gordo

Hey ....I think I've seen that first pass weld before....

It was on a Rat Rod's frame I saw on E-Bay

"Professionally Built" I think it said........:D

18. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

I'm 18 and he can weld as good as I can. With a little time he'll be a great welder

19. Flying Tiger

Flying Tiger
    from Japan

That's so cool! Good for him!

20. Very nice! One of my projects this summer is to share some welding basics with my son.

21. cretin

cretin

That is awesome! Even though my dad didn't know alot about cars we started building one together, and it brought us much closer. Looks like you have a great start with your son.

22. I was a production welder from 1980-87 at the old Buick complex here in Flint. Because my dad wasn't into cars and such,I didn't get the proper mechanical and fab experience I would have liked. Got a little welding exposure from the father of a friend,who extended all the local bicycle hooligan's front forks. No kids of my own,but the gf's son has mechanical interests,so perhaps I'll need to mentor him when I get some welding equipment-already teaching him some auto and snowmobile(vintage,of course) mechanics/maintenance.
    This is one of the kooler threads I've seen-take pride in your work young man,and Dad,take pride in being a proper father and mentor.

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  23. When do you think is an appropriate time to let a kid work with this stuff? If you stop to think about it lots of what we do is rather dangerous (see any number of threads about injuries).

My son is nearly 5.5 yrs old and wants to help with some stuff. Likes to turn wrenches and pump up the jack and engine hoist but is scared of SPARKS !! No welding or grinding for him, he clears out fast when that's going on.

24. Keep

Keep

That is pretty damn cool, thanks for sharing.

25. 66 Nova 327

66 Nova 327
    from Kentucky

That is so cool. That kid will never forget that. No matter how many times he welds for the rest of his life, he can always know and tell people that his dad taught him to weld. My dad recently passed away at age 84. He and I always wanted to do some welding but never did. It seemed like he never had the time to and he had never welded either. I always thought it would have been nice to learn together. Dad had bought a welder several years ago, but never took it out of the box.

Don't let your son throw that motorcycle away. He needs to save that for the rest of his life. Of course I'm saying that, because I save everything.

26. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

thats cool, great to see a young one interested in more than video games

his welds look better than some of the so called professionals i have worked with ove the years

tell him to keep up the good work

27. My son started welding when he was 8. His pediatrician didn't like the idea too much, he told us burning steel isn't very good for developing lungs. We made him wear a respirator under his hood after that.

That was 8 years ago, now he can MIG or TIG anything from steel to aluminum.

I wonder what the Doc would have thought about him spraying urethane paints...

28. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

That's pretty fuckin' cool....keep up the good work guys!!!!!!! Giz'

29. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

That's pretty cool. I only wish my Dad had welded when i was young and taught me. You have probably set up a direction of some sorts for your son, It will be interesting to see where he'll be in ten years. My daughter worked with me at a die shop when she was in high school, I taught her to weld (mig) angle iron rails on the dies one day. Amazing! She was doing production welding in about ten minutes...we had grown men there who couldn't weld like her after years of trying. :rolleyes: She's a Mechanical Engineer now!

30. Priceless....Keep him at it - I dabbled with welding aged about 13. Whilst my Parents were out one day I cut up the swing set & extended the forks on my bicycle. I wasn't very popular at the time. I picked it up but put myself through Tech - 3 years at night school, so I could learn it properly. Good on ya, I wish my Dad had taught me. How about getting your son a "Bob the builder" style face shield and space the head strap from the sides to fit an adult size mask. What about a father & son project once the modified is done.