Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lurkers and their intentions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El_Gato_Scott, May 17, 2009.

1. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I've gotten those PMs myself. This yoyo probably saw you say something about your car, or saw a picture you posted about it and just asked if it were for sale.

2. I've gotten PMs like that before too.

Thing is people search for stuff on Google and they might turn up a 3 year old post through Google showing just what they want, in a thread here somewhere, so they sign up enough to contact you and ask about it. I've had guys try to reply to ancient classifieds recently. Of course the stuff they want sold ages ago.

3. Jupiter Zone

Jupiter Zone

I don't think hiding in the trunk with a gun is going to help you sell your car :)

4. El_Gato_Scott

El_Gato_Scott
    from So. Tex.

Alright, let's just chalk this one up to a bad case of the jitters. Thanks guys...glad to know that some of you other folks have gotten PM's about your cars that weren't necessarily "up for sale". No harm done, but just wanted to ask what y'all thought. I just hate to read so much about auto theft on here these days. It also seems like there have been way too many shop burglaries, etc. From what y'all have said...it doesn't seem too out of the ordinary for someone to inquire. I'll just sleep with ONE eye open.

5. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I think he was trolling and really just wants to get with ya. At least that's what he wanted from me.

6. 52style

52style

NOT RELATED TO A PM HERE but i like the emails i get when i sell cars on craigslist
    from nigerian scammers i always tell them to go ahead and mail me the check and ill wait for thier shipper i never cash em but i like wasting their postage money

$12.00 in shipping is alot of money in nigeria and im glad to scam them out of it

7. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

A simple "No, the guys not being weird for asking. Just give him a price if you want to sell, or tell him no if you don't" will suffice I think anyhow.

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As a couple of others said above, everything has it's price, we just may not know that price yet.

I had my 51 Merc for 32 years and it was the one thing I was never going to sell until the right guy came along at the right time and offered more than the right money.

This person may be seriously trying to buy your car or it may just be another mouthbreather doing the "what's it worth thing".

Maybe the best thing is for said lurker to come on and post and with an intro tell the world why they inquired about your car. I doubt seriously that they have ever logged on or read threads since being turned down on the car though.

9. Leadsled RnR

Leadsled RnR
    from CO

There's a fine line between caution and paranoia. Some may think nothing of this, but as you stated, you have some reasons to be extra suspicious. Every time i hear a car drivin slow on my street at night, I poke my head out the window to see whats up. Too bad I wasn't awake when my truck actually got broken into. Point is, I think if you feel you have reason to be cautious then do so. Make sure the garage is closed, house is locked, and keep a light on, simple things that can go a long way when it comes to target suitability. I, however, would not lose a good nights sleep in the trunk with a gun that'd make Tackleberry envious!:)

10. I'm not a paranoid person, but I would proceed with caution on a deal like this. Make them come out of the woods so to speak. Someone suggested asking for a phone number. That's a good first step. But if you aren't at all interested in selling, I'd just respond with a one word answer fitting of his inquiry. "No."
    In high school I had someone come look at a car at my parents house at night. Well I never met them, but gave them my address (I know, stupid, but I was young and this was 30 yrs ago). They stole parts. Since then I've never met anyone at my house for a sale unless I know them. Plus, I never give out any info. I wouldn't want public, etc.

11. Doug B

Doug B

Or, you could PM him back and say " It's not for sale " .....:rolleyes:

12. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I know the voices I hear in my head are not real but sometimes they have really good ideas.

13. But I really do like long walks on the beach in the moonlight.

14. RichG

RichG

Basset hounds got long ears.

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  15. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

"You're only being paranoid if they aren't out to get You."

It pays to be vigilant, and be prepared for the worst in people. it also makes the world a much nicer place when You are pleasantly surprised to be wrong.

easy way out- step one, protect Your investments.
    step two, be polite.
    in the event steps one and two do not work, it's Your right t introduce someone to the home run end of a louisville slugger.

16. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Might be a car dealer. If you look at the classified ads, there seems to a lot of ads by dealers, or so it seems. Their only posts are for cars/parts for sale.

17. I think the only weird thing is....You have a car thats NOT for sale.

18. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Counter his inquiry with:

"The car's not for sale, but how's your mom doing?"

19. elwood blues

elwood blues

I can understand lurking for awhile on this board. I lurked for years on this board before I ever posted just due to way some people can be but I eventually manned up and just said f it. I think that most lurkers are that way too.

20. 55m38a1

55m38a1

Well for me lurking, its just something I do because I don't feel I have the experience or knowledge as the rest of the folks on this board. So I just keep my mouth shut and listen, or in this case continue to read. But I did contact DV8 for the model A he had for sale, worked out quite well. I guess like everyone else was saying, it is a bit strange to be contacted out of the blue, especially if its not for sale.

Mike.

21. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

If it was in broken english or overly friendly I'd ignore it.

22. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

I sold a complete blower setup to a guy with 1 post, so, you never know.

23. El_Gato_Scott

El_Gato_Scott
    from So. Tex.

The guy did get in touch with me again via my regular email address. He said he was just a Mopar nut and was fishing to see if the New Yorker was for sale. No harm done. I can't turn loose of that car right now, regardless of price. The 80+ year-old fella that I bought the car from nearly cried when he sold it to me. He was in poor health and was getting things in order so he wouldn't have to burden his family with having to sell off stuff when he passed. he died 7 months TO THE DAY after I bought that car. I have to do right by the old guy and take care of it for him.