Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lurkers and their intentions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El_Gato_Scott, May 17, 2009.

1. El_Gato_Scott

El_Gato_Scott
    from So. Tex.

Just curious if anybody has ever had a "lurker" contact them via PM to inquire if their car was for sale. I got a PM like that today and went to check their public profile only to find that they joined recently, have never made any posts, and have VERY vague profile info (next to zero info, actually). Kinda made me feel a little uneasy. I do have a car for sale in the classifieds, but NOT the one that was inquired about. Am I just getting spooked unnecessarily? I think I have read about one too many stolen cars here lately and might be having some preemptive paranoia.

Adios,

Scott

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

paranoia srtikes....but then again,nobody ever contacts me.

3. manyolcars

manyolcars

I ignore those weirdos

4. RichG

RichG

It's odd they would inquire about a car not advertised...I find that suspicious. Personally, I'd just ignore 'em.

5. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Send them a PM and ask for a phone number.

6. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Maybe the boss(Ryan) might know about them as he knows who posts and what?
    Might be worth an I/M to him or Kevin Lee?

7. El_Gato_Scott

El_Gato_Scott
    from So. Tex.

I guess there isn't ever any harm in asking if something is for sale, but there should be some finesse and etiquette involved. I got no introduction or anything...was just kinda abrupt. Probably wouldn't have been so bad if it looked like the profile was for a "real" person. Profile was just so vague it kind of creeped me out.

8. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Meet them away from your house if they want to check out the car... dont call them from a home phone...bring your biggest pal with ya... take down their license plate number...make sure they dont follow you home....good luck!

PS, never deal with wire transfers...Well, I never have anyway..

9. El_Gato_Scott

El_Gato_Scott
    from So. Tex.

The car in question is NOT for sale, that is why this was so weird.

10. RichG

RichG

My biggest pal has eight friends that weigh in at 220 grains each...I never leave home without him:D

11. maybe your just a weirdo magnet man , at least they didnt ask you what you were wearing and , rut-roh wrong board!!

12. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Well, you have cars for sale so dont let anybody know where you keep em... they could pose like they want to buy the one for sale, then steal the one that is not for sale....OR, if they ask you again, tell em to F$%K off....lol

13. i agree , you have to be careful..... but can you even imagine who is lurking here? i wouldn't dismiss them automatically

14. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Well, on the other hand, I found my '34 on another site and it wasnt for sale, I emailed the guy and he said, well its not for sale but then gave me a price...SO, could be a real car guy who likes your ride and figures, Hey, what the hell... its worth a shot to ask.....If you dont ask, you will never know.

15. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

so...what are you wearing :rolleyes:

16. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

But how did he know that you even had the car? Did you have a picture of it on here somewhere?If you have in in the background of another car for sale that might be where he saw it,but if you dont have a picture of it on here who knows how he knew...If you had no picture of it on here at all then i would be careful....

17. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

<table class="menuBar" id="zoomedInMenu" style="background-color: rgb(189, 189, 189); width: 77px; height: 21px;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> <td>
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table> <script language="JavaScript"> MenuController.getInstance().bindHandlers($('zoomedInMenu'),{"zoomedInMenu":{"on":"#F7F7F7","off":"#BDBDBD","link":"#000000","border":"#000000"},"btn_editimage_menu_in":{"on":"#E3E4E6","off":"#F7F7F7","link":"#000000","border":"#000000"},"btn_resize_in":{"on":"#E3E4E6","off":"#F7F7F7","link":"#000000","border":"#000000"},"btn_rotate_in":{"on":"#E3E4E6","off":"#F7F7F7","link":"#000000","border":"#000000"},"btn_share":{"on":"#E3E4E6","off":"#F7F7F7","link":"#000000","border":"#000000"},"btn_order_prints_in":{"on":"#E3E4E6","off":"#F7F7F7","link":"#000000","border":"#000000"}}); </script> <script language="JavaScript"> FullViewMenuController.getInstance().bindHandlers($('zoomedInMenu'),'in'); </script> <!-- maxContainerWidth: 600 maxContainerHeight: 540 minContainerHeight: 405 mediaWidth: 360 mediaHeight: 333 scaleToContainer: 1 --> [​IMG]

18. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

The car in question is NOT for sale, that is why this was so weird.

Why is that so weird? How many times have we or any number people on this board have seen a car and knocked on a front door to see if it is for sale or if it might be for sale, or left a message.

19. El_Gato_Scott

El_Gato_Scott
    from So. Tex.

Yeah, I agree that it's not so weird to ASK. Like I said, though...maybe an introduction by the person inquiring would have been nice. It certainly would have taken the edge off. If somebody dropped me a line and said "hey, I saw your car in a post here on the HAMB and thought it was something that I might be interested in, just thought I would ask if it was possibly for sale....". It was just an abrupt inquiry out of the blue. I just figure one can't be too careful. I was just curious if others had gotten PM's on their cars that WEREN'T necessarily for sale. Seems like some have and aren't spooked, and others are a little more like me.

20. El_Gato_Scott

El_Gato_Scott
    from So. Tex.

In this case, I guess just the anonymity of the internet makes me feel more suspicious. I too have knocked on a door or two to ask. This wouldn't be the first time I have been accused of being paranoid. Maybe that word is too strong, lets say......cautious :)

21. Most profiles are vague and usually have little cutesy poser answers.

22. i don't think it weird for someone to ask if a car is possible for sale. a friend of mine (and also a lurker on here , but not contacted through here) told me recently that he had been contacted out of the blue by a well known and respected hot rodder (of means) if his car was for sale. it wasn't , and nothing happened

as i said in my first post on this thread ..can you even begin to imagine who is lurking on here?

i'm not saying not to be skeptical and careful ..there are a lot of scammers out there, and there are a lot good successful people who know what they want when they see it and are not afraid to make a move

23. Crease

Crease

THAT cracked me up! Darn fine timing! :)

24. El_Gato_Scott

El_Gato_Scott
    from So. Tex.

I can dig it. I'm just a cautious...perhaps OVERLY cautious person by nature. My house got broken into just one week after getting this car. I seriously doubt that it had ANYTHING to do with the car, but that was the first thing I thought of when I got the call from my buddy, who was the cop that responded. Nothing was stolen because my neighbor confronted the guy right after he gained entry. The car was just the first thing I thought of when it happened, so I'm kind of "scarred" about it i guess. Any counselors here on the HAMB to help me get over this :)

25. Jupiter Zone

Jupiter Zone

how much did you want for the car?

26. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

Well as you all know, with Goole Maps, and a address you can take a tour of your street. Look at your house and what ever is in your drive!
    And some of uncle Sammy's kin folks can do it in real time

27. i have found that there is nothing wrong with a little fear...it's what make you a survivor , it's also a good motivator

28. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

I'll stop by and check your house secutiry for ya. No need to leave me your address... I got it.

And afterwards I'll give you a call on the phone number you didn't give me.

What do you mean paranoia?

29. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

I personally would not worry about it. I have been asked many times by different people on other forums if some of my other rare cars are for sale. I have always taken it as a compliment. I would just get a name and number from them in the event you do want to sell or would have to sell unexpectedly.

30. El_Gato_Scott

El_Gato_Scott
    from So. Tex.

That's it, I'm sleeping in the trunk of the car tonight with a gun so big that officer Tackleberry would be envious :)