Register now to get rid of these ads!

Short water pump for Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kerwinq, May 11, 2009.

1. kerwinq

kerwinq
    from Boise, id

I am getting rid of the serpentine belt from a 86 302 and want to put a short water pump on, any idea what years I can get that would fit this? I won't be running AC or a smg pump so will only have belts for the water pump and alternator.

Any help is appreciated

Kerwin

2. bshepherd

bshepherd
    from michigan

try early eighties or late seventies probaly easiest to find could go older to. The motor in my 84 gt didn't have a serpentine

3. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

are you going this route to try and gain clearance or just to get rid of the serpentine ? dont think theres much more than a half an inch that you can gain from a stock pump but i could be wrong ? if your looking to free up some space you may need to check with rord racing or sno white for a shorty pump conversion !

4. kerwinq

kerwinq
    from Boise, id

I was hoping to gain some additional room but if that is not possible I at least want to change to belts instead of the serpentine. Just need to know what year and model would be the best to get the water pump for

5. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Snow White makes a 2 inch shorter water pump for 302 Fords ...

[​IMG]

The "Shortie" shortens the front of the
    motor by 2" allowing a very minimal firewall.
    Fits 302 or 351 Fords
    (Cleveland or Windsor)
    Uses standard pump
    Aluminum adapter & pump
    Both pulleys machined aluminum
    Polishing Available

I do not know the price ... but here is their contact information :D

Snow White LTD
    4727 E. Hedges
    Fresno, CA 93703
    Phone: (559) 253-1928
    Fax: (559) 253-1952

6. bluestang67

bluestang67

Also a 94 - 95 Mustang has the short water pump so if you get the timing cover and pump you can pulley it any way you want . I am fitting the serp drive under the hood of my Model A . Here is a pic of 84 5.0 with normal pump and then the 94 Mustang short pump you can see the difference .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

sno white conversion !

Attached Files:

8. kerwinq

kerwinq
    from Boise, id

Just so I understand, I can get a water pump for the 94/95 mustang and change out the timing cover and use what ever pulleys I want to use? This seems like the best way to go for me

9. fomocochoptop

fomocochoptop

I think you would need all the brackets with pulleys with tensioners the figure out how to delete what you dont need. grab the the Alternator to. I spent $250.00 and i pick you pull on the set up for my edsel- i am running a Thunderbird water pump to run a Fan with clutch
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=333791 more pics

Attached Files:

10. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Aren't most serpentine pumps "reverse rotation"?

11. dakotajayne

dakotajayne
    from 3c1

I USED THE SVO JOB FROM FORD. ITS A GOOD 1 1/2 SHORTER AND EXITS ON THE DRIVERS SIDE. YOU WILL NEED CUSTOM PULLEYS. ITS ON MY AVITAR CAR AND WORKS GREAT!:eek:

12. kerwinq

kerwinq
    from Boise, id

Are the 94/95 mustangs that hard to find in wrecking yards to pull parts from? Or are the parts more expensive? Seems like that may be the way to go

13. tjm73

tjm73

I believe all 94-95 5.0 front dress is the same as all V8 T-Bird and Cougar from 1991 to '97 But it is serpentine only. V8 Explorer and Mountaineer are also shorter but different than the T-bird/Mustang style. Again they are serpentine only.

If you are looking for shorter and V-belt your only option (that I know of) is the M-8501-E351S water pump kit from Ford Racing Performance Parts. Gives 1.5" more space.

Here's a link. Keep in mind that if the pump goes and FRPP stops making this pump you are F'd.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=5532

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  14. tjm73

tjm73

Serpentine may not be "period" but it is a better system. You can run the reverse rotation setup that all Mustang 5.0, F150 (5.0 & 5.8) came with or you can run the pump and pulleys from a mid to late 80's/early 90's Crown, Grand Marquis or Lincoln with the 5.0. They were standard rotation and serpentine.

15. kerwinq

kerwinq
    from Boise, id

I was wanting to go V belt but may do the serpentine since it sounds like it will be easier and better

16. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

The 94-95 short pump conversion kit is available in kit form thru Ford Motorsports available thru your local Ford dealer Parts Dept. for under $300

17. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

On some points, I dissagree. If one single componant goes out in the system, you are stuck.

I had an AC compressor lock up completely (even stuck the clutch to "on"). I had to be towed home. Had that been a v-belt system, that belt would have been removed and I would have driven home.

Of course, the tow truck did have air. :rolleyes:

18. tjm73

tjm73

He said he wasn't running A/C so a simple crank, pump, alt short belt would work well for him. That was my thought process.

19. Berky

Berky

I had to go this route on my A and you will find that most late model pumps are reverse rotation. I had to get a pump from a 89 crown vic to get the standard rotation. Just make sure you check the fin direction before you install it. I eventually had to get the sortie water pump as mentioned above for clearance issues.

The late model standard rotation pump have a smaller pulley bolt diameter than the ones that use the V belts. I had to oval the holes to make it fit. This is fine as the center post centers the pulley.

20. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Then how is that better then the V? Efficiency gain will be really minimal and looks will be completely lost.

21. rq375

rq375
    from Washington

The thing with the snow white unit is that you loose the fuel pump.

22. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

i'm runing the sno white setup ! it bolts to the stock ford timing cover which is what houses the fuel pump !

23. tjm73

tjm73

More belt contact area. Equals better cooling due to less slippage. IMO.