Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Hollywood Goes to Dry Lake Bed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Special Ed, May 6, 2009.

1. Special Ed

Special Ed

This past Sunday a Hollywood film crew decided to use a Southern California dry lake bed for a music video location. They had my Muntz Jet being driven by the female "talent", and sometimes by her identically dressed stunt double. It was unbelievable how much time, and how many crew members it takes to come up with maybe a minute of actual footage. What an experience!

Attached Files:

2. eric

eric

your Muntz is Bad Dude!!!!
    good to see it gets driven!

3. Hollywood invented "screw the pooch".....

4. Special Ed

Special Ed

I drove it over 350 miles round-trip to the film location. The film crew had to flatbed it about a mile from the highway into the "basecamp" over a really messed-up rocky road, then it was the "talent" who got to drive it.

5. Hahahahaha....love the quotes around the "talent".... :D

6. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Pretty cool !

7. Special Ed

Special Ed

There was at least fifty film crew at the location, and probably double that many back in Hollywood to do editing, music, etc. It was what they consider a "closed set" so no cameras, or visitors allowed. It took over ten hours at the location, then the next two days were inside a studio in L.A.

8. Special Ed

Special Ed

On the set, they actually refer to the star(s) as the talent. even on their paperwork...

9. Now it has "history".

BTW, thanks for the invitation to Streak 36, beer, and link to the Rodders' Journal issue!

10. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Did you get to help select the "talent" on the casting couch (back seat)? I hope she was good looking.

11. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

We all know who the "REAL" talent on the set was,...... Senor Muntz

12. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

I let crews use motorcycles for "filming".It is really slow.
    You have to watch them too.They can really screw vehicles up.They backed into my bike!:eek:

13. Special Ed

Special Ed

The videotaping was for a Jonas Brothers (ask any 12 year old girl who they are) music video. Disney is the parent company for their record label. The name of the song is; "Paranoid". The lead car was a black GT-350 clone driven by Nick Jonas in the sequence. My Muntz was driven by the female lead trying to "catch" him. I think it will come out this summer, when they release they newest album, and in conjunction with their international tour.

14. mercury Bill

mercury Bill

Jonas Brothers..lol You guys ever seen the south park episode with the Jonas brothers...too funny.

15. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Well, glad it wasn't one of the lame Jonas Brothers driving the cool car.

16. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Now(?!), it has history? haha

Whoa, the Jonas Bros.?!
    Does Disney have some sort of sinister "product" factory where they pump out these kids?
    Creepy x 10

Regardless, it'll be great to see that Muntz on the dirt!!

17. That is cool. I know what you mean about the people and time required. I sat at a outside bar in Vegas one afternoon and watched as a scene for a big Hollywood movie was being filmed. They were there all day with about 40 people to shoot this scene. When I saw the film the scene was literally about 3 seconds long. Ridiculous waste of money.

Car looks great.

18. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

19. Gene Winfield Rod&Custom

Gene Winfield Rod&Custom
    from Mojave,Ca

There is supposed to be a German telivision crew at El MIrage this weekend to film Gene. I hope they show. Supposed to come on Friday AM to the shop and do some filming then follow us over to the Mirage. I have never been to any kind of race like this, so I am really looking forward to this. We just have combine derbies in Ohio. LOL Dewey

20. Special Ed

Special Ed

Actually, Nick Jonas never drove the Mustang. It was towed on a very short tow dolly directly behind the camera truck. The camera truck had a camera mounted on the very rear end, and about twelve people (directors, camera operators, grips, etc.) sit facing the rear, in three rows of graduated seats. It looks like the actor is driving, but he's just sitting in there acting like he's driving.
    My Muntz was then driven "chasing" that set-up. There was a stuntman lying prone on the passenger front floor of my car, being given direction via walkie-talkie from the camera truck. Then the stuntman gave the actress directions (get closer, follow directly behind, pull next to, etc.), so that they could get shots from different angles. It was very involved!

21. chevymike

chevymike

When I had my first '69 Camaro, I was part of the filming for the movie Almost Famous. The shoot was at the Sport Arena in San Diego. 4 nights of filming, most of the time about 6 hours per night, for maybe 2 minutes of shots that was actually in the movie. Since it was a parking lot scene, it was fun each night trying to get all the cars into the right location. Paid good and was fed very well. :D

22. Special Ed

Special Ed

The stunt "double" for the female lead was actually a lot cuter than the actress. No casting couch action, we were never alone !!!!

23. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

This is too funny. You were lucky enough to be out in the dust storm with all them! I was supposed to work that job on sunday, but I couldnt make it. I did work the studio stuff at the stages in Downey. All our gear was full of dirt and sand from the lake bed. LOL Its amazing how many people and how much gear and support staff you need to finish something like that. I've been working around it for a little while and I've been around it for years and it still amazes me.

24. Special Ed

Special Ed

They gave me some extra $ for the clean-up, but that dust is like talcum powder and is EVERYWHERE! You would have been bummed if you'd have been out there. Even the catered food was covered in grit within seconds of being exposed. Fortunately, the paint on my Muntz was OK. I think I vacuumed about 8 pounds of dirt from the interior, so far!

25. I'm curious how you became involved. Are you on a list or something? A Muntz isn't really are car that people outside the car community even know existed. I'd love to watch something like this. Kind of interesting watching things from behind the scenes.

26. JMPRO

JMPRO
    from So Cal

I used to go land sailing on a dry lake bed like that out near Barstow. It would be great untill the crust was broke and then the talcum dust would get into every crevice you had. I was told that talcum was actually mined in that whole area at one time.
    Land sailing, about 1980
    [​IMG]

27. Special Ed

Special Ed

A fellow HAMBer posted a thread on here looking for a "custom convertible" for a music video. I think Hollywood was trying to get a certain "look", not a particular vehicle. They didn't know shit about Muntz Jets. They wanted the actor/singer to be the star, not the car. The Muntz is non-descript enough to fit what they were looking for. The demographics of the targeted age group they are selling to is completely out of touch with old cars.

28. tjm73

tjm73

LOL!! Dumb F body gaurd couldn't figure out the door didn't open because it was locked despite being able to see the lock pull was down, hence locked.

29. Special Ed

Special Ed

30. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

The Muntz looked great in that! But, I sure hope that no one I know finds out that I actually clicked the link and watched that video all the way through...