Register now to get rid of these ads!

advice on rescuing peggy sue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crackernutz, May 12, 2009.

1. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

Took her for a spin the other night to get some starbucks. ya ya let the jokes begin. Anyways, the engine started sputtering like it was out of gas..my fuel gauge doesnt' work.. could be out of gas i guess but i dont think that's the case. Anyways pulled her into a church parking lot and walked about half a mile to get some gas. poured some in the carb...and the tank. she starts for a second or two then dies. over and over . pour gas in the carb burns off that gas then dies. any advice? i'm going to try and rescue her tonight.

2. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

Clogged fuel line or jet.

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

or the fuel pump took a shit

4. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

well that sucks considering i'm fixing to do an engine swap. i really dont want to have to pay to have the car towed.

5. Disconnect the fuel line after the pump. Crank it with the line in a gas can or somthing and see if it shoots fuel. If so, you have a carb problem. If not, either pump is shot or it's outta gas. Remember, it takes a little while of running to get gas from the tank to the carb if it's been run dry. You might also try filling the bowl of the carb with gas, then it should run for 20 seconds or so.

6. ryno

ryno

try checking your fuel filters.
    they may be one in back at your tank also.

7. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

fuel pump. fuel filter, fuel pickup, clogged jet

8. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

Just another tip;
    Check the oillevel, in case the pump diaphram ruptured and is now letting fuel enter the engine crankcase.

Good luck.

9. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Starbucks & an Engine swap for the Old Caddilac ?

Whats in It Now & what do ya plan on swapping in ?

It Prolly just knows you about to Rip out its Heart & put a Chevy in it.

You Know Dinosaures play Dead when they see the end is near :D

10. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

Haha, awesome.

11. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

no SBC or BBC's for me

going with a 472 at least it's cadillac.

12. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Thats not an easy swap my Friend.

Guy i know did a similar swap into his '57 Caddy .. EVERYTHING was a challange & EVERYTHING was in the way.

Oil Pan sump was ALL wrong, Oil Pump hit the frame, Dan didnt clear steering, Exhaust was to wide & hit control arms...

Come to think of it he started it about 5 years ago & i STILL havent seen the car run.

Be sure to re- check EVERTHING before you jump right in :)

13. All works pretty well if you use El Do parts.

14. shortbed65

shortbed65
    from ne Ill

I like the answer from Chris but I'd like to add -- the steel fuel line on a 1960 Chevy is in 3 pieces from the factory, a splice above the rear axle , and a splice near the rear of the front fender , in between those lines is a 5/16" x 3" fuel hose , maybe the same design on Peggy Sue , old rubber collapses with suction

15. Piewagn

Piewagn

Rotted/perforated fuel line?? Will suck air, not allowing enough fuel volume.

16. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

could be. I went and did some more work lastnight to try and figure out what's going on. i filled up the bowl and it ran for a good 20 seconds ,but died when the gas in the carb was drained. pressed gas just got a sucking sound and the engine died. disconnected the fuel line after the fuel pump and no gas was squirting out when the engine was cranking.

17. Degreaser

Degreaser

18. _charles_

_charles_
    from Tampa, Fl

AAA. Best $$$ ever spent.

I went to the the "undesirable" side. 2008 5.3L Vortec, Fuel injected, drive by wire. It's taken 3 months, and should be done in a few weeks. Alot of challenges, especially since I kept the stock frame and steering.

Charles