Register now to get rid of these ads!

Well, now we have no MIG welders at school anymore

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dynaflash_8, May 6, 2009.

1. Dan

Dan

Perkins Grant????

2. This sucks! My son is in middle school and they offer no industrial arts programs. I remember I couldn't wait to take wood working, drafting and sheet metal. Seems now all they care about is computers and sports. They have a state of the art technology room, nice football field, but can't find the money for industrial arts!

3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

We have several smaller Miller migs in our high school metalshop program. But this spring they were invited to go to Omaha to the ISCA auto show for a special high school shop day, and at the end of the day there was a drawing and they won an 800.00 Miller mig, Cool deal.

4. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

well, iv been emailing and calling, and have yet to have any good news yet. Keep your fingers crossed

5. brewsir

brewsir

I don't know how it gets done where you are but in my town we (parents of the players) either carpool the kids to the games or the 350-500 bucks fee we pay at the start of the sport the kid is playing pays for the sports program and busses.

Good luck on the welders....you will get it done.

6. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

You need to call Miller Directly.

7. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

Not to get off subject but here's a good one.

When I was in High School I participated in the high school drags which was just one day a year. The high school wouldn't recognize it or have any part in it. Meanwhile a buddy of mine would get a reimbursment check from the school to to cover his milage for driving himself to the school's golf program at different courses.

I questioned it but just got a bunch of political bullshit thrown in my face.

8. ray

ray
    from colorado

what approach are you taking? are you asking for someone to donate "two $3500 welders"? i would set my sights on a miller 180, well under a grand before any discounts, and very capable. ask for a little, and people will tend to give a little more, ask for a lot and they'll tell you to pack sand. i bet if you would settle for a lesser unit you could come up with many small donations in a hurry.

and from what i've read on the welding forums, the old units are very fixable, you just gotta do a little research. it will take more than a phone call to the miller service dept. i would sure hope the electronics teacher could cross reference to similar currently available parts and fit them.

9. 567trishop

567trishop
    from Australia

I am an automotive teacher; I have just recently brought a mig and an air compressor. I had to write a funding submission and do a lot of other crap to go through to get the equipment. I took three months of bullshit but I finally got it done. I copy of one of the letters. Note item no. 4. I made it up, as a barter, but got the money appoved away.

Attached Files:

10. PM Nailheadbrent on here. When he was in high school just a few years ago, he started a carshow that is a direct fundraiser for his high school metal shop. I believe he is still involved in the show, maybe he can help you out with some advise. I think that is it is all that keeps the program afloat. Remember if its that important to you you will find a way to get it taken care of

11. They have money for education. They think "education" is college only. I've been around a lot of politicians and I've beat the drum for "Technical Education" for a long, long time. You just can't get it through their head that college isn't for everyone and that vo-tech is just as important as college to some people.

12. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

If it could be set up through the school all official like, I'd donate the first $40... I'd have killed to have a metal shop when I was in highschool.

13. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

good news! i got a welder donated through a local company !

Marty, I talked to your teacher Mr. Cughan this morning. We have a Miller XMT-300 Welder and a Miller SA22 Wirefeeder that we will be donating to your school. These machines are by no means new but are fully operational. Your teacher had good things to say about you. It is commendable that you feel strong enough about your program to make this request even though you are graduating. If you ever become interested in a manufacturing job, I would be glad to meet with you.

Thanks,
    Vince Firlotte
    Facilities Manager
    Exotic Metals Forming Co LLC

14. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

You did a great thing for the program.

15. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

you guys did a great thing!!! the problem nowadays is everyone forgets how important the blue collar jobs that votech teaches are. without it, who is going to, fix the wiring in your house,or build your house in the first place, fix your air conditioning on a hundred degree day, do your machine work you need done, fix your broken down car, take care of you in the hospital, do your welding, fight the fires, drive the ambulance, fix your crashed computer, or the broken machines in your factory. I could go on and on. the jobs that votech teaches are the very backbone of this country.

16. lewislynn

lewislynn

Well, now we have no MIG welders at school anymore
    Cool, now you can do things "traditional" with stick welders and oxy-acetylene. Everyone should experience buzz box arc welding, gas welding and brazing.​

17. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Hey
    That is great that you got helped out, and I totally agree with the 2 posts right before this.
    But my original response would be why don't the metal shop students just all work a double both saturday and sunday the next weekend at their jobs, then pool all the money together, then buy a used unit? Just do it the first week the machine breaks, no need to wait. And if someone donates a unit that week, then just use that money to outfit the shop even better. You can leave the shop better and with more equipment for the next year's students. It seems like everyone ( not necessarily the poster of this thread ) is standing around these days waiting for someone to help them, instead of helping themselves.
    No need for handouts, just step up and buy a used unit. The best lesson that could be taught in the class.
    Again, glad you guys have a unit.
    Wil
    www.sakowskimotors.com

18. vintagedrags

vintagedrags

Marty,

Good job!! When a student takes the initiative that you took in getting a problem resolved, people take notice. That is why Vince Firlotte said he would like to talk to you about a job!!

As an advisory board member for my local tech school, I know first hand how important tech schools are to the youth of our country. I was not one of the tech school students when I was in high school, but I sure wish that I was after seeing what they have to offer. I never went to college either, but have made a comfortable living working with my hands. I truly believe in technical education, and feel that the only way we can make it better, is working on it as a community!! Please everyone who reads about what this young man has done, get involved in your local tech school, either as an advisory board member, volunteer or what ever, please get involved. Things like this don't have to happen with every body taking a few hours of their time to voice their opinion at a school board meeting or just getting involved some how.

Good job Marty!!!

19. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

because these are are young people, they shouldn't be having to raise the money for school, If the dam government would quit wasting so much on crap,maby our young people trying to learn would have what they need to be sucessful. they should be able to concentrate on school and learning a skill, I'm not one for handouts eithier, but one of the most important things we need to do in this country is start giving our kids the education they need. that means if they want to learn a skill that will enable them to find a job,they should be able to, if they they want to go to college they should be able. I've met a lot of really smart kids who fell through the cracks and ended up in jail or doing things they shouldn't. A lot of them i've talked to would have loved the opportunity to learn a solid trade, but the overloaded system just didn't have the funds, It's really sad that in this country there are still inner city schools that have students sharing books because there aren't enough. A lot of these kids aren't planning on college,but could do really well in a votech program.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the State of Washington Vocational shop and industrial arts classes have taken a beating lately.
    It's all about which program pays the most per student as far as the school administrators are concerned.
    In the schools in the town where I live they test every kid with a Hispanic last name to see if they can stick them in an english/second language class as it pays more per student then some other classes .

Marty you make and old shop teacher proud to be on the same board as you are. It's guys like you who will get things going in this country again,

21. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Hi
    I am all about the Votech, and loved shop class. I still have the wooden tool carrier box I made. It has tools in it in my shop right now.

I am all about what you are saying, except I think that the kids that work and go to school have a step up on the kids that just go to school. I sure see it night and day when you go to hire someone. Teaching the kids to step up instead of waiting for the government to do it or someone else is more valuable to the kids future than just how to weld. There will be tons of people who know how to weld, but few who know how to step up. Those that have been taught how to "step up" and make it happen will blow the socks of other people in the work place. If we would teach the youth how to make their own fishing pole, not just wait for one to be passed out to them, we could once again rule as a people and country.
    p.s. Education should be a top priority for the government, but kids AND parents need to be taught how to cut grass, clean cars, work an extra shift, houses, volunteer at the local school, buy books for their kids school instead of another flat screen tv or new car, etc.. to earn extra money to build up their own school also. It needs to be a group effort, with everyone involved. Just throwing money at it won't help much at all.
    Teaching a kid without means to put his hand out instead of how to work, or to just educate without teaching people how to work, brings us to our sorry workforce we have now.
    If we gave the Depression Era folks from the past the opportunities we have today, they would dominate us and kick our butts at the same time before our first mandatory work break of the morning.
    Most people in this country are just plain silly these days, and we wonder why China is taking us over.
    p.s. respect to the Company that donated the welder to the community school
    With Respect
    Wil Sakowski
    www.sakowskimotors.com

22. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

Oh i agree,but no school should have to cut out classes that could help kids learn a trade because the funding isn't there, if they need equipment or books or other things to help kids learn,they shouldn't be hurting for it, these other countries place a lot of education and you can see the results, yes kids should work, i worked as a teen, I also took shop classes in 7,8,9,10th grades,and two years at a pilot type votech program in concord Ohio, instead of the kids being shuttled back and forth from one school to the other,we took all our classes the last two years of school, right at the votech school. just like the adult students. When i was talking about kids should be concentrating on school,i mean it's the governments responsibilty to make sure schools have the books and equipment there that they require. I would like to see schools like i went to in inner cities, except they may require more remidial classes, take the good kids in bad situations, teach them a skill like welding or building, make sure they have basic school skills, and give them a fighting chance.

23. brucer

brucer
    from western ky

wonder why we pay school taxes?

My niece plays volleyball, first thing the volleyball coach does is ask for donations. they want parents to work concession stands, they sell tickets all year to pay for the electricity they use for the gym.
    the parents have to buy thier uniform, shoes and equipment..

so wtf does the tax money go to, evidently our tax money isnt doing anything but lining pockets. thats the way i see it.

As far as the vocational technology, this is dieing out, just like the manufacturing segment in this country is dieing out. these jobs arent going to be needed or wanted in 10yrs probably.. we are seeing this now with all the layoffs and companies shutting down, its near done in the united states, and we are getting ready to see the aftershock of the 3rd world countries taking our work... ITS NOT BAD IN THE U.S. YET!!! JUST WAIT!!
    Seriously go to a school and see how many are in the votech program and compare it to 10 yrs ago.. if they even have a votech program left..

the majority of kids just dont care to work anymore, and they definetly dont want to get dirty doing it.. my niece is 17 years old, working 2 part time jobs, and has a partial scholarship to a nice christian college but cant go yet because she doesnt have the money, so shes gonna stay home , work, save her money, and go to the local community college for 2 yrs then go off to school..

I've been a machinist/toolmaker for 20 yrs, ive had college courses, i program, operate cnc equipment (mills and boring mills) can use mastercam and have a good understanding of the concept of production, i worked in plastics and die cast tooling for 10 of the 20 years, making components and assembly of tooling.. I barely still have my job, and a layoff is the talk in the very near future unless we get some work in the door, and we are a very large capapacity, full service machine shop..we work on about anythjing, from walk ins, to full blown production runs... i make decent money.. but the way things are in this country right now, i wish i would have went into the medical industry, there is just not that much work being dealt out right now, and the work just seems to be getting slimmer and slimmer..and the jobs just keep drying up.

i cant figure out what the government wants, i think they want us all to be dirt poor and homeless, but they dont understand, if we're not working we arent paying taxes and they get poor too, one day they'll figure it out.. they need to do what china did decades ago, close the doors, tax the crap out of imports to push thier prices up so our manufacturing segment can compete. as of right now we cant compete because of cost of operations.

United States has had its economy base structured around manufacturing, since henry ford started his first plant,probably a little before that even, and now the manufacturing is drying up and the politicians cant figure it out because they are stupid to the fact, they cant see that the U.S. economy is in shambles because the manufacturing segment is dieing, and the majority of the people that have, or had these jobs are the typical Blue Collar tax payer..
    probably the ones that went to vo-tech, the machinists, the welders, the electricians.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  24. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Hey Lostforawhile and Brucer.
    I am with you on this. Hopefully people will wake up before English is a second language in the USOC ( United States of China ).
    Take Care
    Wil Sakowski
    www.sakowskimotors.com
    p.s. The kids got their welder, that's a start.

25. 19Fordy

19Fordy

If any of the School Board members kids were in that class, you would have your welder, post haste. Ask the principal where the soda and candy vending machine money goes. And, I always wondered how the same companies win the bids for getting the high school ring contracts each year! What about the parking lot decal money that students pay for "Student Parking" in an already paid for public school parking lot - including vocational students like you?
    The reality is that it's cheaper (with less liability) for school districts to close down their traditional vocational programs by not signing kids up for the classes and then not funding them.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  26. L110Mike

L110Mike
    from North OC

Worked for me in woodshop class in HS. spring of my senior year (2000), i won the "industrial arts" award and was treated to a lunch with some local business owners in the community. they were asking about the shop programs, and one thing led to another, and they began donating various materials to the program (wood, sand paper, extension cords, hand tools, you name it). to the OP: it can happen!