Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pinstripers??????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loosewheel, May 5, 2009.

1. Do any of you who lay lines have a problem with WHITE ???
    Anytime I try to stripe with pure white my brush does not flow as well as it does with other colors. It is almost as if it has a different viscosity or something. My brush seems to slip out from under the paint??? I dont seem to have this problem except with metallic or neon colors. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

2. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

:eek: Well you just can't keep thinning 1-Shot with cheap vodka without a drop of black or blue or it'll fall on its ass!!!! We are talking about 1-Shot white ? :confused: Aw what the Hell white is white. Urathanes are worse...:cool: "Just keep it greasy so it'll go down easy".

"Have Brush Will Travel" SignSmith NSRA Nats. OKC 1990

3. You can also try a drop of silver in your white. regardless...One Shot is not of the quality it used to be. :mad:

4. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

One Shot may knot be what it used to be since they took all the good stuff out , but now the little kiddies can lick it all they want. When's the last time a politition had a car striped ?

5. Missing Link

Missing Link

I have not had any problems with 1-shot white. I would be curious what you are using as a thinning agent when you are laying down stripes. Personally, I never had the problem you have encountered regardless of what "era" 1-shot paint I used.

How do you normally store your brushes after usage? Do you treat the bristles in motor oil? Maybe the brushes aren't clean enough? Just guessing at this point...like I mentioned before I never had the problem you are experiencing.

And, yes, we have all heard it a thousand times..."1-shot isn't what it used to be." No shit? Really? Know what else isn't what it used to be? Gasoline, tobacco, alcohol, and integrity. Get over it...

6. yamadafacka

yamadafacka

every time i use it... white is crap. every other color i use works amazing

7. lawman

lawman

I have the same problem with White.I have not been at this very long (Three years) and I thought the problem was me !!!

8. I am using 1-shot and I clean my brushes with mineral spirits and dip them in neatsfoot oil for storage. I dont usually thin my paint with anything, if I do I use 1-shot reducer. But, like I said I dont have a problem with the other 2-3 dozen colrs I've used.

9. Yeah, 1-shot is all I have ever used. So if I add a little blue or black it will make a difference....wow, I'll try it. Thanks!

10. Abomb

Abomb

Not all colors are the same thickness......just thin your white out until it flows properly, if you have "transparency" issues before your thin enough to flow, add a little of another color..like stated above.I like to use a little "chamois" mixed with the white, it warms it up a little.

11. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

White sucks, black sucks and red is worst of all, it wont cover and flattens out in about a week. BRING BACK THE LEAD 1-SHOT!!!!!

12. Flatheaded

Flatheaded
    from Nordakoda

I too have had trouble with white and especially black. Constantly thinning both. I'm to the point where I just don't use white. I've replaced it with ivory. Pretty close and seems to contrast better with alot of colors. I'm gonna try adding "another" color to my white and see if it helps. Thanks for the info. Flatheaded

13. H3O

H3O

i've never had any problems with white. and i'm a beginner. been at it since july of 08.

14. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

White sucks, silver sucks a little more, and gold blows hard.....
    I think it's the lack of pigment in those colors that make 'em less forgiving.....
    If someone wants white, I try to talk 'em into Ivory.....it looks better in most cases.

15. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

I have been striping for over 30 years off and on. Mostly off. I used a brand can of white the other day. For mine you didn't any thinner, it was too thin already. I just put a little on my pallet and loaded my brush then took a break for about 15 minutes. It was alright after that.

16. chaddilac

chaddilac

The only problem I have with white, is I can't get the lid to seal and I open it the next time with the pudding skin on top!! Have to peel it off and dig the pieces out! :(

17. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Chad.....Ziplock bags are your freind....haha

18. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

You can try Ronan brand bulliten paint, it covers pretty good or you can use Rust-oleum and yes it will work. It takes a little longer to dry but it works. If you can find an art supply store that has an old supply of "Leaded" 1-Shot, buy it up!

19. Von Franco

Von Franco

All the One-Shot Sucks,Mack Brushes Suck, so im going back to painting with house paint
    ....................oh for some of the new guys LOL..................................

20. You have to use Reducer, to adjust the viscosity.

21. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

Used to stripe when I was a kid, but haven't done it in years. I would dip the brushes in linseed oil and run 'em through a rag lightly to store. Then, to paint, I'd dip the brush in linseed oil first and pinch the bristles as I dragged them through a rag, then into the paint. Lines laid down nicely. Had no idea 1-Shot formula had been changed. Thanks for the heads-up.

22. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Lead and tolulene are our friends...
    Like someone else said,put a touch of another color in with your white,it'll help.

23. are you using polar white?
    try lettering white.

24. Hey Phillythegreek, I just striped a hot rod for a politician. Can't say his name but he was totally cool with cars. He did however, express concern over our rights/freedoms as hot rodders/car guys and told me to keep bustin chops...sooner or later the strong (hot rodders) will prevail. But if they do outlaw hot rods, only hot rodders will be outlaws.

Loosewheel....A bit o silver, black, blu, yeller, orng, in white works good for me. And dirty reducer helps tint the white just right.

1-shot has also lost some of it's shelf life on cars striped as well.

Mikey
    www.mikeyspinstriping.com
    "Intense as hell...doing it well"

25. I am using lettering white.

26. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

Go to either Lowes or Home Depot and pick up a can of Penetrol....Add a little to the paint....Helps with flowout and works great...Also the warmer weather makes the paint start setting up quicker with reducer so try slowing it down with a little paint thinner or turps...It'll flow better

27. 00 MACK

00 MACK

What he said! Eddie rules!

28. How do you tell if it old or new 1-Shot, only by reading the fine print on the back of the can?

29. On the front of the vintage cans toward the lower left corner the warning reads:

WARNING: Contains Lead....

30. firemancooter

firemancooter

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about, maybe you could come and stripe my car and show me.:D