Register now to get rid of these ads!

Headlight Conversions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jalopy43, Jan 17, 2006.

1. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

Is anybody using those headlight conversion kits? They are 7" and use an H4 high intensity bulb. They can use the xenon(sp) blue/white bulbs and are mucho bright. They may not be 'traditional',but with fading night vision,and unlighted 2 lane roads around here,I think I may be able to drive more safely with them. Thanks, Sparky:D

2. chromedaddyo

chromedaddyo
    from Ohio

Hella makes a glass conversion bulb for a 7 inch that looks just like a sealed beam but uses an H4 bulb, much better than the tuner shit plasic conversions.

3. I bought a 10 dollar[ea] Halogen bulb from WalMart and installed em[cut out hole in reflector] in the 28 chevy lights on my A roadster...shined up the reflectors-....works a ton better than they did.
    The ones I used had a 90 degree plug/connection instead of a straigh one....this allowed for a better fit in the bucket between the bulb and the bucket itself.....

Attached Files:

• 6c18.jpg
      6c18.jpg
      File size:
      44.5 KB
      Views:
  4. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I ussta say my arms had gotten rtoo short to read! NOW the hoods too short I've got HOT bulbs in everything!! There are a couple outfits that make em to fit as drop in ''Pre Focused'' replacements so you don't have to cut anything up :)

5. bigrig

bigrig
    from miami,fl

i did the h4 conversion (5 3/4 though) and the difference was incredible!
    no more worries driving at night, i would suggest going with a glass lens, i tried a plastic lens and didn't look right or perform like the glass does.
    you don't need the super blue or super white bulbs they cast a blueish reflection onto the lens housing and looks like your whole light is blue.
    in all i spent about $140 (4 lights) and it's the best money i've spent in a while.

6. ray

ray
    from colorado

if it's a "driver" i'd spring for the GOOD quality lights, i tried out the cheapo ones(glass) available on ebay fairly cheap, marked up high from street rod dealers, or middle of the road priced at parts stores under the APK brand(i think?) they functioned just fine, give decent light, better than regular old sealed beams, would be better with the 100 watt bulbs, but anyway they didn't last long in everyday driving, i had em on my daily for about two or three months, including a winter trip to minnesota, i just looked at them last week, one had a huge horseshoe shaped crack across the entire lens, the other a big stone chip that broke through, and both were heavily pitted from small road debris. they are nowhere as durable as sealed beam lenses!

you might look for the case price on ebay, you can get them for like $10 a piece in quantity and replace them when they get damaged.:rolleyes:

7. the vw shop in town had the bug euro lights witch hold h4 bulbs and have a city light that i plan to use as my parking light

8. Phil1934

Phil1934

I did a how to on the VW lights in Dietz buckets the week everything crashed. I used my cutoff wheel to lose part of the holding tabs and put a groove in them for the retaining band. They have H4 with small bulb in separate section up top and H3 in bottom. I'll do top and bottom as running and blinker. I tried model shop and no candies so I bought some orange paint but I remember from the '60's I could get bulb dye. Is it still around?

9. Tito

Tito
    from Sacramento

I tried model shop and no candies so I bought some orange paint but I remember from the '60's I could get bulb dye. Is it still around?[/QUOTE]

Try a store that sells supplies to make stained glass. I got some there.
    Erron

10. I use Hella E codes in every thing I have.

while not officially legal they should be.

I just got a set for the truck with factory city lights on ebay.

you can get them on ebay for what new ricey bulbs cost.

I also got a set of no name from a VW shop that work good for the 7 bucks with bulb. Thats cheaper than sealed beams.

I'm sure Cibies are just as good but never had them, yet, I'm looking into putting Cibies in the Thunderbird right now.

11. wayfarer

wayfarer

Where can you get the 5 3/4" conversions. I have 7" ones and now my dad wants to do the conversion on his '63 pontiac.

12. Anyone that sells Hella can get them.

I got mine used from a jag on Ebay. (Cheep!)

13. timothale

timothale

I want to put h4 into stock model t buckets.. I have seen some
    bulbs on the parts rack with the metal socket, Any ideas what cars to look for to get the metal reflector I could adapt into the T lites?

14. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

3 year old thread? Are you shitting me??

15. atomickustom

atomickustom

Dude is a newbie. When I first discovered the HAMB I read back through the entire thing and didn't really understand the chronological nature of it, either. Cut him a little slack, he has a question - do you have an answer?

16. atomickustom

atomickustom

Could you post a photo the lights you're working with? I don't know Model T parts at all, but if we could see it all sorts of ideas might start popping up.

17. norwich25336

norwich25336
    from Michigan

I got mine off ebay and love them. One thing I did do was run them thru relays. All my light switch does is activate the relays. I have fuses between the relays and lights. My lights used to run dim st low rpm. No more, nice bright white lights. I can see deer on the sides of the road now.