Register now to get rid of these ads!

Suspension: Swapping out '35 Pontiac knee suspension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Croney, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Croney

Croney

Hey,

What will fit my chassis? I was thinking a pontiac parallel leaf and drop axle set-up or something similar from an older model. This car is to be run with no fenders, and those knee action units look a bit big and poxy. I would rather run a GM set-up so don't just tell me to drop in a ford unit:rolleyes:. I don't really want to modify the chassis too much. What do you guys suggest?

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

If it is a 6cyl Pontiac any early(33-39) Chevrolet beam axle and springs should be easily adapted to your Pontiac. That would certainly be easier to get adaption parts for than any Olds/Pontiac frontend.

3. Croney

Croney

Does Anyone have pictures for me to compare and see what kind of work is involved in this conversion. If Anyone has done this conversion or something similar please give me a message.

4. Croney

Croney

Thanks for that reply earlier pasadenahotrod<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_3858517", true); </SCRIPT>.

I've been looking at the parallel springs on a '34 Chev chassis, this is the photo.

Are the front mounts held on by those bolts going vertical through the chassis only? Is that bolt on the outside of the right rail going horizontally through it as well? If so, am I right in thinking the eye and mount are connected to a piece of box steel or something that runs inside the rail for extra support? I'm just wondering how I'm going to mount this on the rail of my '35 Pontiac chassis. Can I just affix it the same way? Does anybody have a picture of the mount on its own or better (close-up) pictures of the mount in question on the chassis? I don't think welding/bolting the rear shackle mount in place will be a problem once the front mount has been aligned and fixed in place.

Thanks in advance.;)

Croney.

Attached Files: