Register now to get rid of these ads!

barn find belly tank!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by doctorZ, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

I don't really know about your tanks, but they are definitely post war. Most likely 60's jet. I call that style "cigar tanks" because of the long straight mid section. The War time tanks were pollywog shaped. Ie. tadpole shaped.

2. fuzzface

fuzzface

The auction ended early at $25,000.00.

3. doctorZ

doctorZ

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...gename=STRK:MESOX:IT&viewitem=#ht_1643wt_1360

It just ended for $25,000. Turns out that $19,500 would have been a pretty good deal. Thanks for all the kind words.
    -drZ

4. studhud

studhud

I saw tank exactly like it in LA at a swap about 3 years ago. It was a 13 footer just like that one $6k obo I dont think it even sold that day? 25 k could go a long way to building a streamliner body and chassis. Oh wait with a belly tank you would still need to build a chassis. I think this shit is funny!:D
    Later Dave

5. DLX-Fe

DLX-Fe
    from sacramento

6. j ripper

j ripper
    from napa ca.

7. rodncustom

rodncustom

8. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

Good Question?

9. McFly

McFly

Wow! That's insane...good for you. Watch all the squirelled away tanks pop up on the bay now.

10. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

Can you guys help me better ID this tank? It's steel, about 10 feet long. P-51?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks,

-scott noteboom

11. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Scott,
    What you have there is a genuine P-38 drop tank, ..... but unfortunately it's the small steel version, not the large aluminum one. But P-38 nonetheless.

12. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

Thanks Bobby. Did guys fit motors into these smaller tanks? Anybody have any pics?

Cheers,

-scott noteboom

13. I believe several early cars were built using the short tanks and V-8 60's and 4 bangres. Remember, they didn't need much safety stuff back then that takes up so much room today.

14. JOEHOODS

JOEHOODS

Great find................

15. seatex

seatex

16. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Yes
    Very good question. Why was it ended??????????

17. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

???? Still waiting?

18. doctorZ

doctorZ

You really really really don't want to know. The best part is, since it went up we have had a million people contacting us telling me that they have as many as 8 on their property! We still do not know anything until we have pictures. Once we do, you will too.
    -drZ

19. No, we REALLY, REALLY REALLY do!

20. rodncustom

rodncustom

I'm guessing $5,000. I still want to know why the auction was ended early when it looked like it had a chance to bring even more money.

21. NoPaint

NoPaint

He probably paid around $500 for it. Thats the standard "oh you got something cool that you don't really want and I don't really need?"

22. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Ok, I’m calling bullshit.
    Another scam like the patinaed up new axle you guys were trying to pass off as a 32 heavy two weeks ago.

23. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

24. doctorZ

doctorZ

No. No bullshit. This is true though, there was an axle that was mixed in and mistakably posted on there as a '32 heavy beam that was not. The auction was pulled and the right axle was put up. Mistakes happen, but we do everything we possibly can to make them right and ensure they do not happen again in the future. 100% positive feedback so far oughta mean somethin'.
    -drZ

25. coupemerc

coupemerc

Is this the same tank that is presently on ebay for around 6K? :confused:

26. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

Still wont give the reason why it was ended early??

27. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

Why would they sell them to you after seeing the auction go that high? Or are you going to tell them its not the one like yours and buy them for super cheap and put them on ebay?

28. doctorZ

doctorZ

No, it is not the same tank. I talked to the guy who owns it, nice guy down in Los Angeles or Orange County, I forget. If you look at his, it is two top halves bolted together, ours was an unsplit tank. He just happen to use the same measurement diagram as us.
    In reference to the last one we bought, we did get a super deal, but gave the owner the full price he asked for it.
    The reason the auction ended early was because we took cash in addition to a few partially built cars. The price had already been agreed upon and had we known it was going to get up that high and probably higher we would not have pulled it so soon.
    I understand that we are a shop under a large corporate name, but do not know why that immediately means we are trying to rip everybody off. :confused::confused::confused:
    -drZ

29. T-Bone

T-Bone

Apparently some folks have a problem with a fella making a buck or two these days.....I say whatever you got for it is nobody's damn business but yours and the buyer's, you don't have to justify yourself to anyone here...

30. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Please tell me the buyer bought it for his P-38...