Register now to get rid of these ads!

What to do with my Model A???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodjeep, Apr 29, 2009.

1. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

So I've got an Idea for my 30-31 Model A Sedan.

I'm wanting to do a mild show rod type of hot rod. My cutoff date is 1965.
    What I've decided so far is mostly the easy stuff: lowered, no chop (I'm 6'8 and need the room)
    No channel, no section, Not too many body mods, full fenders, An inine 6 and a column shifted 3 speed,
    steel wheels, white top and kind of a dark seafoam / teal color.

If I can help it I would like to do somthing more than a drop axle w/juice
    Ford brakes. What else was being used by way of front suspension, IFS, IRS
    in the early and mid 60's show cars?

Corvette, Tri 5 Chevy, T-bird, Shoebox Ford, Caddy, Jag?

I don't know where to start, I did find a couple of thread about vintage IFS, but none of them answered all
    my questions I just know I will try very hard to stick with the pre 65' cutoff, so keep that in mind.

Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks, Jeff

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  2. Corvair front...Vette or Jag rear?

Vette IRS was still pretty new in '65, probably would have been really exotic at the time...

3. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Your going to find it VERY difficult to shoehorn any inline 6 cyl in there without recessing the firewall and with your height you'll be sitting against the back body by the time you get leg room. A V-6 might be an option. Any particular reason for specifing a 6 cyl.?
    Whatever you do DON'T use one of the front suspensions you have listed above. They are from '49-'54 Chevrolet and '54-'62 Corvette. Impossible to package under a fendered Model A and get the ride height and fenders to fit.

Frank

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009

5. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

I love inline motors, and I plan on reversing and cutting the firewall if I have to.
    And its in a Sedan, theres plenty of room after I moove the seat back,
    just don't sit behind me:):):)

Thats just the info I needed, any oter ideas?

6. A chromed Jag or Vette rear looks cool under an A.

I'm not a fan of IFS on early cars. I'm not sure the cars are heavy enough to really benefit. (please enlighten me)

I'd do a traditional front end and spend that money/time on the chrome jag or vette rear end. Would be "show rod" correct for 65

7. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

What years, obviously pre '65, should I be looking for and what model of Jag?
    I think '63 and up C2 Vettes had IRS, Right?

8. 55chevr

55chevr

If you want to be historically correct ... 1965 ... Straight front 'A' axle with 4 inch drop, 40 Ford spindles with juice brakes ... 283 Chevy engine with dual WCFB's off a 270 hp Corvette (Never, repeat, never saw an inline in a hot rod -NEVER ) ... T-10 4 speed manual ... Olds rear ... historical data from personal experience ... I was a hot rodder in 1965 / my ride was a 1960 Valiant with a 283 Chevy engine / T10 4 speed ... the local club, Valley Stream RPM-s had a 6 or 7 members with Model A's and 1 with a 32 3 window coupe.

9. Go take a look at Roths A Sedan. There is your blueprint.

10. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

[​IMG]

This one?

That's the look I'm going for I just want something alittle
    offbeat for the running gear.

Attached Files: