Register now to get rid of these ads!

Air compressor 110v to 220v issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rj64, Apr 27, 2009.

1. rj64

rj64
    from charlotte

You'll have to excuse me as I am NO electrician, so please have patience if I have more questions. I have a Husky 110v/220v 26 gal. compressor I got from Home Depot a few years back that was wired for 110v. It started going real slow and then kicking off my breaker, and a buddy said to rewire it for 220v/30 amp, which I have done according to the instructions that were with the new 220v wall plug I got. It now runs very fast for a few seconds and does the same thing it did before, kicking off my 30 amp double breaker, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

2. RichG

RichG

It sounds like you're not doing anything wrong, it didn't run on 110v, it isn't gonna run on 220v.:D

Take the belt off, start it again and see if the breaker trips...you may have a problem with your motor. If it trips take it to the local motor repair guru and have him check it out, way cheaper than just throwing another motor at it, and it might be something else.

3. willymakeit

willymakeit

2 things possibly. Bad conection in wiring. Did you change wiring on compressor , for 220. Need 2 hot leads and a neutral. Might check the run capacitor.

4. RichG

RichG

Uh, just reread your questions, did you rewire the motor end also, not just the plug?

5. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Also, the "slow turning" MIGHT not be an electrical issue at all... Might be the compressor piston seizing up.

If it is one of those "oilless" jobs, this is a likely problem.

MAYBE PLUS the motor not being wired up right.. :D

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  6. Unloader valve malfunction. It is plumbed between the compressor and the tank, often part of the switch, and gives that little release of air just as the motor shuts off. If that air isn't released, there can be too much pressure on the piston for the motor to overcome.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  7. rj64

rj64
    from charlotte

No, I did not rewire the motor, I got green, white, and black wires, and I left them where they were on the motor, what goes where?

Thanks

8. willymakeit

willymakeit

Usally there is a wiring diagram , where the wires enter motor. Green is ground, White is neutral [110] Black is hot [power]. White can also be power on 220.

9. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

30 amp breaker is a little small. -what size wire back to fuse box .How long of a run .

10. MR.59

MR.59
    from calif.

sounds like the motor is tired

11. Tetanus

Tetanus

This makes sense to me.I would check valve.Also like said by others run motor by itself.Process of elimination.Maybe pull pipe from pipe to valve see if it runs then.Good luck..........

12. RichG

RichG

Yeah, twice as fast half as long:D

You need to look at the motor data plate for the correct wiring diagram for 220v, make sure you do this, THEN take off the belt and try running the motor. IF the motor trips, take to motor guru. IF it doesn't trip, then there is a mechanical problem with the compressor.

I'm sure if you google it that there is some good troubleshooting information out there on the web. All we can do is point you in the right direction and hope you don't hurt yourself...