Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cracked frame on a shoebox can it be welded?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RenoRat, Apr 27, 2009.

1. RenoRat

RenoRat
    from Oxnard,Ca

I was removing my coils up front to lower it and i noticed a crack in the frame about 3 in long! Can that be fixed by welding it? if so what is the best methood??

Thanks Rich

2. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Gonna need pictures for a reliable answer to that. Too many variables...

3. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

Can you post a pic? If you can get to it pretty easy, I would weld a triangular piece of metal over it.

4. RenoRat

RenoRat
    from Oxnard,Ca

Here is the pic... It runs between my fingers ..It looks like it runs from top to bottom (it was covered with undercoating) and the frame is not completely flat on the side..

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014

5. chevy3755

chevy3755

i would 'v' cut it.... weld it grind flat....weld a diamound shape plate to it....

6. Hey man did you really need to flip us off? :D
    Looks like there are some other old welds and crap going on there. Clean the living shit out of the area on BOTH sides so crap doesn't creep into the weld. Grind the rust off. Personally i would then TIG it so there wasn't a big build up of weld. After that i would look at the options for a gusset over the affected area. Don't take any short cuts

timeflies likes this.
  7. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Looks like it has already had one weld done on it...looks heavily rusted too.
    Buried in undercoat is a bad thing...crap is flammable too!
    I'd clean it up really well and take another pic or two from a little further back.
    What is the general over all condition of the frame?
    It seems like it is repairable...but it might take a bit of planning rather than just a bead of weld.

8. RAY With

RAY With

Clean-make a plate and weld-wont be any problem I can see from the picuture

9. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

If its been welded and problematic before, what would you guys (experts) say to removing a section and welding in a new plate which extends beyond the area that has already been stressed?

I don't know if it'd be better so I thought I'd ask.

10. metalman

metalman

I'd be interested to know what caused it to crack in the first place. Accident repair? Suspension bottoming or stessing it? It can be welded and repaired but it would be good to know why it broke before so it doesn't do it again.

11. Are the frame measurements OK ? Any steering or handling problems ? Does the steering linkage move freely ? What mounts through the holes ? If there is frame damage you will need to repair crack. Straighten rail and possibly reinforce after repair. More info needed before starting.

12. RenoRat

RenoRat
    from Oxnard,Ca

It steers fine... the back half of the frame looks great! im thinking a tig weld then a plate ontop of that?@!?!?! any ideas on how thick of a plate??

13. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

As long it is at least as thick as the frame. 1/8 -3/16s would be fine.

14. Rot'nRodder

Rot'nRodder

Make sure you isolate the crack. V-groove it with a cut-off wheel completely cutting out the crack...possibly drill holes at the ends of the crack to isolate it, and then weld it back up. ..otherwise it'll just keep propagating. Weld a plate over it if it makes you feel better, just make sure you eliminate the crack.

15. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

3/16" to 1/4" plate will be fine. Clean up the area, slice through the crack with a cutoff wheel, drill holes at the ends if possible, but not required, bevel the edges, weld it up nice, grind the weld down just a bit, but not completely smooth with the frame. Cut your plate into an oval or round shape (no straight edges). Clamp it over the welded up crack, and buzz it up all the way around. After a rattle can touch up, you'll be done with peace of mind.