Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. CircusKoch

CircusKoch

WOW, what a grip of info... Nice stuff.

2. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

3. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Incidentally, fellas, my "Driven to the Past" column on Frontstretch.com today is about my own experience at the Little 500 in the 80s.

4. Mitch G

Mitch G

I see where GMP is doing a 1:18 scale, dirt champ die cast of the #55 "Pizza Hut" dirt champ car that Jimmy Caruther's won his USAC dirt champ car title in. What say you racer5c, seems pretty cool, do you approve? I used to do some graphics work for Tom Long at GMP, but have'nt spoke to those guys in some time. Check it out at www.gmpdiecast.com Sorry if this is old news, but I just saw it this morning on GMP's website.

5. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

it is a straight copy of the suspension off the "Cornelian", one of the Chevrolet brothers early endeavours.

6. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

Here is the only Roots Blown 64 cui offy midget engine left built strictly for Midgets, Hasnt been run since the early 70s or late 60's off the Dyno, Big blower huh? thats Glenn Dennee the current protector of it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  7. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

pics of a champ car I am , building and one I done 2 years ago . the 99 is a copy of the car that won Indy in 1951 and the one Iam , working on is 1952 4 bar kurtis champ car.

Attached Files:

8. nexxussian

nexxussian

:(:(:(

9. Very nice! Wish I could do stuff like that!

10. To the Johnny Vance watchers. He is alive and well. I talked with him Tuesday night, 4-28-09, in Dayton, Ohio. Here is a photo of him from the Dayton Speedway Lives birthday party that same day.
    HG

Attached Files:

11. Ahhh, Geno, unless you've got a time machine, I think you meant 4/21/09. Take off those shades and have another look at the calendar. :D

12. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

This is a pic from a benefit i did for a Boy Scout troop in Norristown, PA. in the days back when. Some known guys are in this pic.

[​IMG]

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Spike- do you have a brother, or other relation, who raced in your area in the mid 70s ?

Attached Files:

14. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Rootie-
    Yes, thats my younger brother driving the #93 in these pics. He started driving right after cages were mandated, and did well. He now lives in New Hampshire, right at the foot of Mt. Washington. Several years ago Dick beat Cancer, and for that we thank God!

15. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Given the name and location (Reading) I figured it was too much to be a coincidence. Good to hear he's doing well.

16. SteveE

SteveE
    from Ohio

I also see SuperDuke next to Vance.

17. pavementends

pavementends
    from Utah

May I suggest your next read, "Wallsmacker" by Peter DePaulo published 1935. Your kind of cars.
    Gary

18. Old Bill & Spike, I have found the site altho I hate to admit where I found it. No making fun of senility.
    VINTAGE RACER, Historian's Corner, Dennis Unger photo's, Pages 1 & TWO, yes page TWO.
    Here goes, Salem '62 photo #'s 1, 2, 4, 5, 11, 13, 15, 18, 24 J.R. & who??
    Duquoin '63 #'s 9, 15, 16, 26.
    Salem '63 23, 24
    Eldora '64 2, 3, 5, 14.
    drivers only unless you know some of the lesser known cars.
    mlight9.

19. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Here's some pics of the A-1 Tire Spl. car that was driven by Billy Wilkerson. When I was a kid growing up in El Monte CA , Billy lived on the street behind us ,and I can remember seeing rave cars in his garage. Interesting that 50 years later ,I'm doing the restoration paint and lettering for Carl Olson on one of Billys' cars. Good karma I guess.

Attached Files:

20. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

mlight9, Old Bill, and Spike. I have a CD which Dennis sent me with all those photos on it. Is there some way I can help?

21. SteveE

SteveE
    from Ohio

Salem 62
    #5 Stan Bowman
    #11 Arnie Knepper
    #15 Jim Hemmings

Eldora 64
    #2 Bud Tinglestad
    #5 Orville Yeadon
    #14 Jud Larson

DuQuoin 63
    #15 Chuck Hulse

22. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Thanks!

JD

23. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

super Duke drove my sprinter a few times in the 70s . for the first 5 laps you couldn't beat him, then he was tired out!! He was a fun guy in the pits full of B. S . .If you see him tell him Seb says hey, and I , still think we, need a humper on the right side !!!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  24. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

Philly.... good looking car, don,t get any better than that ..

25. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Sprint cars at New Bremen:
    Tommy H. #1, J.Packard #58, J. Hemmings-1960.
    Don Branson #1, Eddie Sachs-1960.
    Jud Larson #4, Bob Wendt-1965.
    Larry #27 and Gary show on the tar-1968.

Attached Files:

26. In the pre Dean Thompson era, Billy was near impossible to beat at ASCOT. We bought all our tires at A 1 Tire up until it closed. In '56 we were going to Vegas for a 1/4 midget race on the first paved track in the west. Being that they were friends, my dad talked Billy into capping four slicks for my Kurtis. Everyone else showed up with dirt knobbys. I ran the first sub 8 second lap on a 1/20th mile track for 1/4 midgets with fast time and won the 30 lap main, lapping the 3rd place car. From that race on, Billy capped a lot of little slicks!!

27. racer8

racer8
    from Wisconsin

I just heard from a good frend that the famous and great Danny Kladis passed away las night. He was a great frend of mine and we raced hard together.

28. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

If I'm not mistaken I believe he was the oldest surviving Indy 500 starter also, 1946!

Attached Files:

29. NED FRY

NED FRY
    from iowa

Wynns #1 -- have you got your car lettered yet-- can't wait to see it.
    Ned H Fry :eek:)

30. NED FRY

NED FRY
    from iowa

Hope this is alright to post- two of the Midwest best vintage shows are in July-- the first being the MVVRCA show at OSKY,Iowa July 2nd all classes--then on to Knoxville,Iowa's black dirt -all classes July 3rd-- the best show in the Nation-- plenty of laps and good eats--- for those brave enough- sat afternoon pay go Karts at Slideways-- the open wheel guys ALWAYS beat them fender types---:eek:) there are alot of signs saying no bumping --guess they can't read either.