Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 ford or 51 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spr53chevy, Apr 21, 2009.

1. spr53chevy

spr53chevy

so i need some adive from you hot rod gurus.... I have been looking for a new project for a couple of monthe now and came across both of these cars
    the first one is a 1951 ford 2 door has no title and the guy is askin 1500 obo on it hav a flat head v8 in it which truns over but doesnt stay on.... the body is straight except for a dent on the DS quarter panel

the second car is a 1951 chevy 2 door coupe has a titla and guy is asking 2k obo shooting for 1200 maybe still has original parts. It was parked 13 years ago, it did run when it was parked. 10 years of the 13 it was in a garage, the last 3 years it was parked outside

what do you guys think as price and such .... this would be my second project which i want to just make in to a cruiser nothing too fancy. which one would you choose and how much would you pay..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

add this as a poll...edit and use the poll option..i vote ford with a chevy engine...

3. elrobo818

elrobo818

im goin for a chevy for my next ride... i think you should too.

4. belair

belair

The Chevy-it has a title, and those Ford side spears from the tail lights forward are REAL hard to find. Assuming all other factors-rust, glass, etc. are about the same. The Chevy looks like a sedan-are you sure it's a coupe?

5. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

the title is worth more than you know. but then again, i paid $1k for my 53 club coupe and it took 9 months to get missouri to issue a clean title. 49-54 chevy parts are
    a: easy to find
    b: cheap
    c: interchange readily with late model stuff,
    but a ford flathead gets more attention.
    Do you want a solid runner or attention?

6. Gerg

Gerg

i would go with the chevy but i might be biased lol and titles are a pain in the ass to get if the car doesn't come with one.

7. This is like asking should I date the Red head or the Blond. Should I take her to a Burger joint or a Stake dinner. It really is about what appeals most to You and how much You want to spend. Being I just did my 51 Ford a few years ago and could have just as easily done a 51 Chevy I would do the 51 Ford again so I could do it better next time. Do it for yourself, not because someone else thinks it would be Kool.
    The Wizzard

Attached Files:

8. You're probably about 50-50 with ease of finding aftermarket parts, conversion mounts, and so on. The only place you're a little ahead is the Ford already has an open drive and you might be able to get the V8 running. But how much hassle is it in Texas to get a title?

9. Dave K

Dave K

If you have lots of extra money do the ford if you are on a tight budget do the chevy. You can get running straight 6 motors for $50.00 and most of the other parts you will need cheap and easy to find, not the case with the ford.

10. shanepietsch

shanepietsch

Get the one with the title. I just waited 5 months for Texas to issue me a title for my 50 chevy. Its not cheap either

11. bigds54

bigds54
    from Sun Valley

the chev and keep it straight six

12. 64krusty

64krusty

I'm not sure why,but I would pick the Ford

13. The Ford requires more work to look cool- just my opinion- because of the roofline and windows.

14. spr53chevy

spr53chevy

i have always wanted a chevy 50-54 model to me to pure perrrrfection but the for just caught my attention ... just waiting on a response from the chevy guy..... thanks for the responses..

15. spr53chevy

spr53chevy

what did u have to do and how much did it cost? been looking for info online about doing this

16. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

I'll never buy another heap without a title. What a nightmare.

17. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

The ford is the better deal out of those 2 IMO. Much stronger following than the chevies make it a better deal to start with, and will gain value faster as you fix it up.

You're gonna have to LOVE a car in that condition to put forth the time & money it's gonna need. The bigger question is do you really want/love either one? Good luck!

18. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Like Shifty said, you have to make sure whichever one you choose that YOU really want the car bad enough to see it through. I like both but I would go the Chevy just cause I like the lines more and if you chop them they really look great. There's more options for that car IMO.

19. teddyp

teddyp

you must pick the one you like best it,s your $$$$ and sweat my 2 cents the chevy with a nailhead in it

20. I've done both and had to do the "title dance" with both....both cars have a metal tag on them with the VIN. It makes it a little easier to get a tag and title than a car with stamped VIN...
    The chevy is a tudor sedan just like the 51 ford. The ford would probably sell for a little more $$$ after it's done. The Chevy is easier to add a mustang II front if thats' what you want. The ford has all flat glass except the back glass and the chevy curved windshields are expensive. I like the fords about 21% more than the chevies but I wouldnt' buy any body style but a coupe, convertible or sedan delivery.....todoors don't do it for me in either make.
    Here's my old shubox and chevy delivery

Attached Files:

21. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

I vote chevy with a ford engine.

22. fat141

fat141

. Should I take her to a Burger joint or a Stake dinner.

A "stake" dinner?? What do you propose to do to this poor girl ??:p

23. SANTO_DIABLO

SANTO_DIABLO

I like them both, so I would just go with the one with less rot, or rust.

24. I'd do the Ford just because I'm a Ford guy. And I like the 51 better than the rest of the shoe boxes ..

25. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

If they BOTH had a title ... The Ford would be my choice. :)

With No papers ... I would not even consider the Ford ... :eek:

26. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

I vote chevy but only because I prefer the body styles of the 50's chevys. how ever you go, both of those cars will make a great rod.

27. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

I'd do the Ford mostly because my first car was a '49 Ford and my second car was a '50 Chevy. Fords always had better lines and make better kustoms (my opinion!)

28. NostalgiaT

NostalgiaT

I would check to see what it takes to get a title issued in your state. I know where I live if the guy had the car titled in his name he can go to the courthouse of the county he orignaly plated the car and get a duplicat for a 15 bucks. If you cant find one and the car is orginal my state will issue a new title and use the vin with a 100 dollar bond.

As far as what one Like them both but hey Flatheads are always cool. I would go with the ford

29. RenoRat

RenoRat
    from Oxnard,Ca

Shoebox (Ford) Hands down