Register now to get rid of these ads!

GM alternator using generator regulator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by boscosis, Apr 22, 2009.

1. boscosis

boscosis

I'm currently running an internally regulated GM alternator on my '62 Impala. Unfortunately my Dad wants his alternator back for his race car and I'm not sure how I want to proceed. I've got several externally regulated GM alternators and the car still has the regulator for the generator (the previous owner painted all of the wires black).
    Can this regulator be adapted for use? Do you just have to supply a 12V supply to the alternator to energize it? Can someone tell me which wires I need to use on the regulator?

Thanks

2. I believe you will find that the Generator and the Alternator take very differnent regulators.

3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Just go to any NAPA store and get a one wire replacement alternator.

4. Larry T

Larry T

I never seen it done. You can take a regulator for a Mopar that has one wire in and one wire out and make it work. It's been so long since I've done one I don't remember the pn.
    Larry T

5. boscosis

boscosis

I do have several Mopar regulators............................................
    I think I'll give that the 'ole college try.

Thanks

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes to that but the right one isn't all that expensive. Just ask for one for a 70 Chev pickup. Well, I have to back up here. It looks like the cheap ones at Schucks are about 20 bucks but the good ones are three times that.

Why not just go to the wrecking yard and get an internal regualtor alternator. Should be about 25 bucks or less for one that will put out decent amps.

Some of the mid 80's Buick park avenues still had V belts and the alternator is pretty easy to get at and puts out 110 amps.

7. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

The external regulated alternator uses a "true" voltage regulator with only one coil, which senses voltage and controls the field (rotor) of the alternator.

The generator uses a 3 coil (so called voltage) regulator. One coil is a cutout relay, which opens the battery from connection to the regulator's points. The next coil is for current regulation, and the last is the voltage coil. The current coil in conjunction with the voltage coil regulates the field, thereby controlling both current and voltage from generator.

So as you can see the two types of regulators are much too different to think about using the one that goes with generators.

Besides you can get the proper regulator for the external alternator pretty reasonable, or a 3 wire internally regulated alternator reasonable. too. Just get rid of that old 3 coil regulator.