Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage lone star round up travel miss happs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sjohnson, Apr 20, 2009.

1. sjohnson

sjohnson

:eek:well we went been there done that and lived! wow what a blast we are from odessa and we went in a 57 chevy pulling a 26 model t with a tow bar just about to junction doing 70 mph wet road had A BLOW OUT went across the median almost went int oncomming traffic. oh yeah with a 26 model t on my ass... thank goodness we are alright. we goto austin had a blast and even got to drive the topless t around austin had mexican food and went home 300 miles one way no problem on the way back. LIFE IS GOOD. THANK GOD FOR HOT RODS!!!!!

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

flat towing a car in the rain doing 70 MPH doesn't sound safe to me.

3. We shall not discuss this situation!!! This was, hands down, the most expensive round-up yet for me. And I still have to turn in the u-haul.

4. i pulled off onto the SHOULDER friday nite while driving back to dallas,,,
    wanted to catch a cat nap,,,
    sunk in the MUD about 6 inches,,,
    about 1 AM a trucker pulled up and said he'd help pull me out,,, but had no CHAINS,,,
    thank god i had a bunch of tie-down straps in the back under my tools,,,
    we broke 2 but after almost an hour got me UNSTUCK,,,

I seriously thought my daughter and i would end up a TXDOT statistic,,,

but there are SOME good people out there still,,,

xoxox
    Miss hootch

5. Big Tony

Big Tony

Stories like these always make for a memorable time... glad ya'll were OK

6. Drag'n 59

Drag'n 59
    from DALLAS, TX

Had a great run from dallas to austin, the truck drove and ran fine all weekend... Headed home and I was 1/4 mile from dropping the truck off and the trans went.

7. jerry

jerry

Well I just got home!

Our list of mishaps,

Wed. Front strap broke, almost lost the car,

Thurs, Change out head gasket on another car.

Sun. Repair my radiator. Had to pinch off 2 tubes.

Sun. Tighten loose roccker nut on the side of I-10/

Mon. Repair refrigerator oat Shady Dell.

Not a bad trip overall. It seems like I'm fixing something on every trip I go on!

Had a fantastic time!

jerry

8. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Had a bad cut in a front air bag.
    Drove to Lampasas to pick up a new bag. Nice guys
    Fixed the problem at the expo also received a warning ticket for a burned out head light.
    Car over heated on congress cigar blew out the window!
    Buddy's car vapor locked six times on the way home.
    Other than that had a great time!!

Attached Files:

9. BBobb

BBobb

I might has well throw my two cents in.I took my 39 Ford truck and my 29 Model A both to the show.Keep in mind i live 3 1/2 hours from Austin

1.Fuel pump goes out in Brennem in the middle of a down pour Thursday.While installing a new one a tornado ripped by about a tenth of a mile away and shit was flying all in the air

2.Fuel filter goes out just outside of Giddings.

3.Ran out of gas in the truck in Manor Tx....

We left about 8:30 am and got to the hotel in Austin about 6 pm

Saturday morning on the way to the expo center i filled the tank in both of my rides with watered down gas and almost did not make it to the show with the Model A.And if that was not bad enough when we tried to leave the gas station the tranny on the 39 truck lost all forward gear.Thank god for Lux Blue and his shop Crushproof where the truck is now.Has of now the truck is still in Austin.I will have to make a run back later this week to pick it up.

Last but not least while i was cruzin the strip on congress saturday night i lost lost all my dash and headlights lucky enough i was able to fix that problem quick

now if i don't deserve the all time fucking HARD LUCK award nobody does!!!!!

10. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Yall need to start drivin MOPAR's. Perhaps some of you noticed the Black Plymouth Suburban the spun moon discs, towing the teardrop. That fella left New Mexico a while back, I met up with him in Melbourn Florida a couple weeks before Billetproof. He and a buddy then made the trek to the Roundup from there I believe he is heading back home in NM. His trailer, oh yea he pulls it.

Glad no one was hurt in the making of your misadventures.

11. seriouslybaby

seriouslybaby
    from small town

there was voo doo in austin this year!!! we had three guys in Lucky 13 C.C. break down & another guy that was driving with us!! my husbands diaphragm (sp?) busted in his fuel pump & was squirting fuel out of it for God knows how long! thankfully it didnt catch on fire! this is a round up we will never forget!!

12. belair

belair

Miss Happs was my 1st grade teacher.

13. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

at least your cars made it for the drive. mine sat in my driveway while i drove my late model truck. tranny took a shit two days before leaving

14. 53choptop

53choptop

My brothers trailered his car up from south texas and his visor flew off the car. A few scratches on the paint but nothing too serious.....

Good thing no one was hurt.

Attached Files:

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I didn't go because I was afraid of having a mishap

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Humm, several of the mishaps were to "trailered" cars. must be an omen there.

Maybe the Fleetline decided on it's own that cool cars don't wear sunvisors, but those things don't take well to serious highway speeds.

In the past 40 years I've found out that the quickest way to find out if there might be anything wrong with your car, truck or bike is to take it on a road trip with a destination and a timeline.

17. Uhhh... I was going to "Sneak on down" but this happened...

How many have had a "Coil-over" snap like this???

Attached Files:

18. We had an eventfull trip as well. Well, not really.....2720 miles, spent $150 in fuel...and did 80 the whole way. Actually $148 to be exact. ha ha ha!!! Diesel VW ran perfect. Besides Krooser not knowing how to drive stick and snubbing it at least a dozen times, trip went perfect! Would have liked to take the lincoln, but no way the untouched original 368 would have made it. Have had it 800 miles in a weekend, but 2700, that's pushing it.

19. MERC 55

MERC 55

Just thinkI had to work and missed all that fun.

20. josh77

josh77

You're cursed. Bad luck all around. And your car looks better now too.

21. Our trip was fairly uneventful. I had debated on getting up early enough to travel down with 55Mercury, but figured I would be pushing it trying to get my two 4-year-olds ready to go and then pick up my brother all by 5:00 am or so on Thursday. So, I chose to sleep in a little more and got on the road from picking my brother up by 6:30 or so.

This worked out real well when 55Mercury called and his generator had gone out. He posted here on the HAMB and someone sent him to an alternator shop in Ardmore. We caught up with him and had just enough time to eat breakfast while he got the generator rebuilt and back on.

The next small mishap was when we stopped at the Czech Stop along the way and 55Mercury had a tire going flat. We went over to a tire shop across the highway and they put a new tube in for him.

The only other problem was similar to one above talking about the visor. Apparently, the wind was just right to make mine flutter enough to crack my windshield. The glass has been in the car probably 10 years or so and was perfect when I left. The bracket that bolts to the divider bar just put enough leverage on the glass to break it apparently since we didn't hit anything...

Then, I sold my car while we were down there and had to hitch a ride home.

All minor stuff for sure and we had a great time.

22. lowlife_slim

lowlife_slim

who was the guy in the roadster who's brakes failed, rolled down the turn lane and ended up having to rearend the cholos in the Lincoln?

i witnessed that firsthand, heard a faint horn buzzing and noticed the guy couldnt stop. he did everything he could but it was either run over the people in the turn lane, or cut back into traffic and hit a non-hotrod.

the best part was seeing an 85 pound shit talking wannabe gangster in a 5XL t-shirt get snatched up by a cop and twisted into a knot before he could retaliate on a hotrodder who couldnt help the crash. the sidewalks in front of the Kontinental Club cleared so fast, he was probably lucky the cops got him before everyone else did.