Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Yes, the steering box is MILLER built... here is the original 122 box laying next to one that Jim at Zakira's built from scratch for the 1923 Tommy Milton 122, from the original Miller drawings.

Pretty damn close!

Attached Files:

2. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Pat O'Conner:
    Early on- in a, real clean, flattie powered, rail frame.
    Langhorne 1955
    ROTW- Monza 1957

Attached Files:

3. jimdillon

jimdillon

Josh, although the term "unbelievable" has been used before it truly applies to that collection of jewelry. The great thing is that much of it will be used once again so all of us can appreciate more of Miller's artistry.-Jim

4. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the photos, Rootie. My first racing hero.

Racer 5c - I got a box of tapes (59) from a guy in Fishers just for paying the freight. A lot of them are "Thunder" series races, and I'm converting them to DVDs. I just thought I'd tell you that last night I spent an enjoyable time watching you in a midget, a lot of it from an in-car cam on the car trying to get by you.

5. Yeah I saw that too, on youtube. Pretty sharp driving. Well, uh, okay, a lot better than I could ever do.LOL

6. I'm thinking this car is restored with Mike Magills name on the side?

[​IMG]

7. Racer5c,

I LOVED your photo collection!. There are some real treasures there!

I was especially interested in your beautiful shots of the flathead buildup. I'm an old flathead builder/enthusiast and have NEVER seen popup pistons like that on a flathead before!

I would LOVE to see the underside of those Navarro 'High Dome' heads!!! I notice the block you are using is NOT relieved! (HUGE valves too, by the way!)

I realize the secret to flatheads is #1, getting them to breathe, and #2, getting high-compression, which two factors are seemingly almost diametrically opposed!

PLEASE post a picture of the underside of those heads if you can.

If this is some closely-guarded speed secret, I'll understand, but I'm loosing sleep at night thinking about it and trying to understand it! ;o) ;o)

I LOVE all of your posts!

Thanks!!!

JG

8. Corngrower32,

Wow, WOW! Just WOW!

Soo much more of a TREASURE than a bunch of dumb ol' gold bricks plucked from the bottom of the sea any day.

I know you will take good care of it. Thank goodness it fell into good hands!! ;o)

JG

9. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Not sure if Magill ever drove for Sumar (?) For the 1957 500, Sumar had 3 entries (O'Conner, Parsons and Marshal Teague) and I think they were all similar to the #12. I'm sure others will know better.

10. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Sumar had two Kurtis 500Gs, #12 and #18, for O'Conner and Teague. I believe the third car was a Kurtis 500D

11. racer5c

racer5c

12. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Not my stuff.. I just got to help organize it. The guy that got it though, WILL use it. It will gat put back into action in old MILLERS.

That's the best part!

JD

13. Sprinto7

Sprinto7

14. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Rootie-
    Great pics once again, the more the better! Thank you much.
    I do have a question regarding that #52 with the flattie; how did that motor run with four cylinders on that bank,
    but only three exhaust header pipes? What am i missing here?
    If im missing something real obvious, go ahead and laugh at me; ill deserve it!

15. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

HA! HA! HA!.... Just kidding Spike, a reasonable question if your not familier with the old flatties. The center ports are siamezed.

Attached Files:

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe there are that many MILLER parts out there. Is that the collection from the late Chuck Davis?

17. We made the double header along with Roy, then went to the USAC sprint car races at L-Burg. The track was wicked fast and gooood racin. More photos from Indy Raceway Park and the Shaw/Hughes open house plus a few from a private garage tour. The little ugly guy is Jim Graybeal. You figure out which one......
    and a good time was had by all.....
    HG

Attached Files:

18. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

I agree, that's incredible to find that much at one time. It definitely fell into the right hands. Would keep anybody busy for a lifetime.

19. RSCA HISTORY

RSCA HISTORY

[​IMG]

On June 28th at First Energy Stadium in Reading, PA, The Reading Fairground Racing Historical Society will induct 16 people into the " Home of Champions ". At the top of the List will be Reading's own, Tommy Hinnershitz.

20. RSCA HISTORY

RSCA HISTORY

[​IMG]

Also being inducted into the Reading Fairground " Home of Champions " will be Larry Dickson. Larry will be on hand to accept his induction

21. I know this is not the '56 winner, so is this the '57 entry for Flaherty?

[​IMG]

22. Well deserved. No greater warrior ever passed through such difficult times with so much success.

In my book, one is not a sprint car fan unless he is able to appreciate Tommys story.

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Was that the Milton car that sold at Pebble Beach, the Dry Lakes Record setting car? If so I've got some paperwork on the car.

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Brian, Flaherty sat out the 57 season after getting discombobulated at Springfield in 56. Spent his time tending bar and, believe it or not, raising pigeons.

25. Okay, this is the '57 car

[​IMG]

26. Whoever did this car did a fine job, even if the nose is not like the '56 winner.

[​IMG]

27. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Wonder what was up with that panel on the right side ?

28. Drive Em

Drive Em

Johnny Capels, Dodge powered- 1966:
    [​IMG]

29. I asked and was told it is an authentic Watson recreation.
    HG

30. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I wondered the same thing.. It was obviously an "add on" cause the sign painter lettered the logo behind it.. Maybe only on the car for Qualifying?