Register now to get rid of these ads!

53 Chevy wiper motors....options?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WildWilly68, Sep 12, 2003.

1. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

I need to figure out something for wipers in my car. Not that I drive it in the rain that often, but something other than RainX would be nice. It didn't have a vacuum motor when I got the car and after I located one it didn't work hardly at all. I'm running a pretty radical cam so low rpm vacuum is way down there. I was told 55-57 Chevy electric motors are a bolt on replacement for these is it this true? I'm sure I'll pay a premium for one of those but I've never heard anyyone have good luck with the aftermarket ones. Anyone else find a good solution to this? Thanks in advance.
    Bill

2. also 55 59 chev gmc truck is same too

3. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

Kenny is the truck wiper motor an electric one or vacuum? Thanks for the quick response, I'm trying to get working wipers before Ducktail/James Dean.

Bill

4. ryangobie

ryangobie
    from Jersey

i'ma bring this wayyyyyy back up in hopes someone can chime in on the truck motors as those are gonna be hella cheaper.

5. ryangobie

ryangobie
    from Jersey

oncccce more for shits and giggles before the swap meets really kick off

6. aldixie

aldixie

I don't know about the truck motors but the car ones are a direct replacement. Trouble is finding one cheap enough. I have also heard you can use a wiper motor and its transmissions from a MG Midget. I haven't tried yet but just happens I'm restoring an MG at the moment and have its wiper motor out of the car. I'm looking for a solution for my 50.

7. Truck motors look the same but are different. The tri 5 work great and you can get rebuilt vacc. are elect.

8. The problem is that the 53 is 6v and the 55-57 is 12v.If you have converted to 12v that isn't a problem.The real problem is the 55-57 electric wiper motors are the same as the early Corvette and you can expect to pay accordingly.
    I bought an electric wiper setup from New Port Engineering several years ago for $180 and it bolted up in less than a half hour.I had previously bought a rebuilt 56 Chevy motor for $150 and it lasted less than 10 minutes.

9. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

I bought mine from Newport also and never had a problem...

10. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

Wow this is an oldy. I actually ended up getting one for a 58 Ford on ebay....same thing, for a lot less money.

11. Newport will wipe your windows with 2 speeds , good to go

12. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

I got a 6v Bosch wiper motor fom ebay $45 which included delivery (I,m in England) Made up a bracket and fitted it to the same mounts the vacuum motor sat on.I had to shorten the shaft and weld a bit of 1/8" steel to the spindle which engages with the wiper mechanism just like the vacuum motor did.It works real good , it needs to over here.

13. KUSTOM 50

KUSTOM 50

I used a 57 wiper motor on my 54 sedan I used to have bolted right in and worked fine

14. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor