Register now to get rid of these ads!

NSRA 30 years old and older - Merged

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by paintcan54, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

street rod or are they the only hot rods ?

2. Mad~Max

Mad~Max

The one that's finished and has paint?

3. Mad~Max

Mad~Max

The profit margin is actually quite huge, but it's an event that you can't do every week. So annual profits are low.

Here's the business model:

1. Get people to buy advertisers products to build cars.
    2. Get people to pay huge entrance fees to show their car.
    3. Get the public to pay entrance fees to cover the property lease.
    4. Give nothing away for free.
    5. Provide no entertainment (allow local radio station to market itself).
    6. Use a Brinks Armor truck to haul the money to the bank.
    7. Try to make the car show people think they have culture/community by selling decals, timing tags, magazines, T-shirts, or membership numbers (see model #6 above)

4. streetfreakmustang

streetfreakmustang
    BANNED
    from Ohio

Here is just a small portion of my NSRA and Car Craft stuff (actually none of the nsra stuff is pictured.

This right here is about 1/4 of what I have.

I'm just missing a few key items. Most of this stuff I bought from Lee Lasky who worked for Special Events.

Attached Files:

• 356.jpg
      356.jpg
      File size:
      497.2 KB
      Views:
  5. cckid

cckid

NSRA can't be beat for what you get for your money, $100,000. in door prizes at every NSRA event, Some of you folks where not around in 1970, the year cut off to go to a NSRA show was 1948, that ment your car had to be only 22 years old to enter a NSRA show, now after 40 years they are saying your car has to be 30 years old, so whats the beef, everything cost more so NSRA could have said we cant pay the bills we will have to increase all your entry fees, or double them, 98% of you would have bitched, the other way to increase the income is to get more attendance, in order to do that they had to open up the years, I for one don't mind looking at newer custom cars, Us old hot rodders are a dying bread, If we don't let in new cars pretty soon there won't be any of us old timers left. I'm one of 28 who have been to EVERY street rod Nationals, at 66 I still love it.

6. The old aluminum chairs "SUCK" just as bad as "Light Beer"... Get real and bring back the wood and canvas beach chairs and PBR...!!!!

Yes...!!!!

7. EVANS and 3 97s

EVANS and 3 97s

I joined NSRA at Peoria,a true milestone event to all there and who read about it.The whole car hobby took a giant leap forward,giveing many the incentive to build a car to attend this type of event,and clubs started haveing local events,leading into what now supports an industry,more events than you can count,and enthusiasts in many parts of the world. I thank Rod & Custom,and NSRA for that. I have enjoyed the past 40 years and am personnaly against the change,but when the busiest vender last year at the eventswas the handicpped scooter guy,the reasoning makes more sense.

8. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

My local rep showed me the letter today...It's a firm deal starting in 2010 at every NSRA event. I can go along with all of the events EXCEPT the Nationals in Louisville. A street rod for years (I joined in 1974) has been pre 49. If that's the criteria, how can you call it the STREET ROD Nationals and allow 80's and back to enter???? This deal is all about money and attendance numbers - a problem they have never encountered at the NATIONALS. Well, that's enough bitchin........at least the night life may be revived to what this 60 year old was used to in the 70's and 80's. There may actually be someone in the Executive West parking lot after 10PM!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  9. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

THe Nationals should stay the nationals. I don't have a problem with the goodguys format. I'm hoping it increases the swap meet myself!

10. frank spittle

frank spittle

I have been a Street Rodder for 41 years and still have the same car. Our Charlotte car club, Rods Exclusive, supported NSRA which stands for National STREET ROD Association, in the beginning and most members became NSRA Charter Members. We would work local NSRA meets...at no charge of course and distribute flyers anywhere we felt would increase attendance.. We were happy to get them going. Fast forward several years....they quit allowing us to pass out our own car show flyers at their events. I dropped out.

Our club folded many years ago but I can tell you if everything was still hunky dorry between me and NSRA I would definitely drop out now. NSRA has ALWAYS been pre-49 and GoodGuys has always been '72 and older. GoodGuys has never claimed to be a STREET ROD organization. NSRA does not try to be as good as GoodGuys. NSRA will not stand for National Street Rod Association anymore. Maybe they will change it to National STREET RACERS Association. I, too, love all year model "interesting" cars but this pisses off an old supporter.

11. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

No one asked me but I think it sucks. But no one asked me.

12. teddyp

teddyp

i agree with ron

13. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Been going to NSRA stuff since 1980. Last 10 years it looks like Gary Meadors, Kirk, and the rest have raised the bar. NSRA didnt change, they reacted to what Goodguys did, lawn chair ban, parking, 1972, etc.NSRA needs to do something, but 30 years? How about a better magazine, drop the heavy christian stuff, and move the Lville Nats around. Looks like a good time to start a new association.

14. its a done deal...live with it or dont go!

Attached Files:

15. ol'hotrodder

ol'hotrodder

How many 60,70 80 yr. old cars are left I wonder? My car was built 10 yrs. before I was born. And the motor was built the month and yr. I graduated. (I'm retired) The cost of admission buying a roller and a glass knock-off is getting pretty heady. When I stared rodding 50 bucks for a starter was not unusual. What fun is hanging year after year with 80 year guys with 100 yr. old cars. Sometimes we get to takin bout the weather doesn't break up for 15 min. I think these younger guys need a chance, and still be able to afford a family.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  16. Now that's funny.

Thing is I see a lot and I mean A LOT of nice entry level and slightly better pre-'49 cars built and driven by guy's in their twenties and thirties. I don't think the pre-'49 sector of the hobby is in any danger of dying out as the old timers die off. Our current generation of greybeards is not THE original hot rodders. In the late '60's early '70's those young guy's had to chose between some sweet factory muscle and building up rusty old cars from the 20', 30's or 40's. A few lucky ones had both. The point is the hobby didn't die because the real hot rod pioneers died off and neither will it die when the current crop of green gummers are gone. I hate to see the NSRA do this but, it was inevitable. I will eventually quit going because of it. But, like others have said, it’s an opportunity for other, smaller and more interesting organizations to step up. Looking ahead I can see myself simply replacing my annual pilgrimage to the Nationals with a trip to the HAMB Drags, Back to the '50's or Frog Follies.

Oh and sometimes you beat a dead horse just because it feels so damn good :rolleyes:.

17. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

No kidding it's all about numbers with these outfits.
    This kind of stuff is what creates openings for grass roots shows.

18. metalshapes

metalshapes

Just let the Streetrodders run their events the way they see fit....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.