Register now to get rid of these ads!

@##$#ing oil filter is stuck,any ideals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BBobb, Apr 14, 2009.

1. southpark

southpark
    BANNED

2. Duste01 posted a good suggestion.

What he's saying is to tighten the filter a smidge and then go in the loosen direction.

Works on some bolts & nuts as well.

Especially so on lugnuts.

3. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

In my tool box, I have a tool known as "Filter Fang"..........It is for when you have destroyed the outer case when trying to remove it..............It is a 3/8 drive,(extension), where you can get a straight shot on the threaded part that has all of the holes in it..............It works LIKE A DREAM!!!!!!!!.........I believe I got it from the Mac man......But give it a "Google", it may be available locally..........

4. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

I understand the back and foward technique of loosening stuck, or rusted fasteners, but the idea is to save not remove the threads. Maybe that is what he meant, but it didn't come out that way to me.

5. jonny o

jonny o

I know we are way past that, but next time think about warming up the motor before swisscheesing the filter. I know it's not always an option, but it helps when it is an option.

6. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bigchuck, he said "MOVE" the threads, not "REMOVE" the threads. Re-read his post.

7. TexanCherryBomb

TexanCherryBomb
    from Delete me

I remember over tightening the oil filter once on my truck. I had just spent 500 bucks on a new transmission after blowing the first gear out in the previous one.. (automatics.. ew) and I needed to change the oil anyways. I was griming to my dad how the filter was stuck, how i used the oil filter socket, then i used one of those rubber can-openers, then i gave up and came to seek advice.. He got under the truck with me, wiggled it around, tried taking it off a couple times, then he looked at me, sighed, and said..

I'll never forget this moment..

"Matt.. you need to get a new motor now."

I started rolling my eyes and I was about ready to just get up and start cursing at my truck.

Then my dad started laughing.

He eventually got the oil filter off.

I've never over tightened my oil filter ever since.

8. duste01

duste01

You sir aught to atleast be respectful enough to read or in your case re-read that was conveyed. If you cant do that maybe you should not respond at all. I wont even bother with spoon feeding you what you didnt read and spare you the embarrasment and name calling. I had to deal with anything that came my way and I saw allot over the years, even indignity from people such as yourself who dont have a leg to stand on.

9. "John Deere", "Snap-on" and some Chinese Straps are available on ebay right now... fantastic results without any injuries!!!!;)

Again... I never spent more than a couple seconds removing any filter when I had a "Breaker Bar" on the strap!!!!:cool:
    [​IMG]

<table cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" align="center"><table width="502" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td width="100%" align="center">[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    </td></tr></tbody></table></td><td rowspan="2" width="20">[​IMG]</td><td valign="top"><table cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td align="center">[​IMG]</td><td align="center">[​IMG]</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

sooooo..is it still on there?

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

so how many HAMBERS does it take to change an oil filter?

12. Keep

Keep

apparently about 4 pages worth...lol

13. THE BRONSON

THE BRONSON

Had the same thing happen to me, took another aproach. I took a dremel tool and cut a line up to the threads and then I jamed a screwdriver in the slit and turned it until it came off. Pain in the ass. I hand tightened it but somehow it seized on.

14. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Man this one's too easy. I usually don't have clearance to drive a screwdriver thru and twist, but you can always take a 2 foot long screwdriver or prybar and use it as a chisel. Put it near the top, and start hammering with as much angle in the lefty-loosey direction as you can get. It'll move.

15. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

make a spanner wrench that fit in those hole on the face of the filter?

16. 5..............

One to change the filter and four telling each other "How Good the old one was"!!!!;)

Hahaha... Reminded me of a friend in high school... that was so proud that could change his own oil but after 2 years his engine was junk!!!!

Apparently he couldn't remove the filter... so all he did for 2 years was change the oil and eventually all the unfiltered sludge took it's toll!:eek:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  17. I have made a version of this on a stuck filter before. I welded two bolts to a thick steel bar about 5/6 x 2. Sort of a spanner type wrench, but made to fit the holes in the filter base. Then use a big wrench to turn the bar.

Also the suggestion for heat helps, although too late at this point.

18. racer756

racer756

Take it to Jiffy lube...let them deal with it.

19. You left out at least 5 more smart ass answers (how do you take the car to Jiffy Lube with the filter already destroyed?) and a dozen to argue about if the new oil filter is traditional or not. :)

20. Ghost28

Ghost28

Wipe it down real good. Then Put a leather belt around it through the buckle then use the loose end of the belt to twist and tighten. Kinda like a chinese finger, it will tighten around the filter. And botta bing, botta boom. It should come loose. We use this on large trucks and it works every time...ghost

Guess I didn't read down far enough. dicks beaters beat me to it. Oh well great minds and all that.

21. 55CHEVROLET

55CHEVROLET

Really? Jiffy lube? I hope you dont mean take it to them.

22. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

i have a cal-van filter wrench that has claws that apply more pressure as you turn the ratchet.never had one that wouldn't come off with it.i have a whole tool box draw full of different oil filter wrenches and its the best by far.

23. LOL, I was thinking the same thing!

1. Put all four wheels up on skates.

2. Weld filter to floor jack.

3. Rotate car.

:D:D:D

24. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

Obviously that wouldn't work,
    the jack would spin with the car Silly.

You would need at least one more HAMBer to hold the jack!

25. OK, it's been 10 days since the last post ... Did you get it off or not? You were goin' to bed and nobody's heard of you since, what's the deal ????

26. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

Sometimes it helps to actually tighten it first, if possible, and then back it off.

27. moter

moter

never heard of that before.....:confused:

28. Mopar34

Mopar34

Air Chisel. Works every time.:eek::D

29. James427

James427
    BANNED

LOL, I just went through this LAST NIGHT myself. Did the filter wrench, can strap, screw driver through the filter (which only used to work when they made them out of REAL steel), tore the end off it, blah blah blah.

Finally put a fat screw driver right on the top bead by the engine and tapped on it until I made a good indent on the bead that would hold the screw driver tip from slipping and then whacked the hell out of it several times and it started to move. It STILL would not come out after a 1/4 turn so I kept it up until it went around about once and then twisted it of with a rag. The entire threaded adapter came out of the engine instead of the filter screwing off!! But the threaded adapter has a large hex head allen wrench hole in it so I used that to get it out. Lucky I had one that big. A little oil on the seal of the new filter and the next guy to try this should have an easier time.

30. artemas

artemas

I spent 2 hours trying to get the lugs of my truck not realizing that on the left side of truck they were right handed threads and on the right side of the truck they were left handed threads.

Try turning it the oposite direction thereby breaking the rust or whatever is holding it then maybe it will free up.
    When that dont work I use a chisel on the rim of the base of the filter and tap it with a hammer. A little PB wont hurt either.