Register now to get rid of these ads!

What kind of camera do i need???????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bodymanmp, Apr 13, 2009.

1. bodymanmp

bodymanmp

After looking at thousands of car pics,what kind of camera do i need to take pics at local car shows????do i need a wide angle lens???i do want to use a digital camera,spend $100-$200,what do you guys use?????

2. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Use whatever works for you, whatever you're comfortable with, and what you can afford. I use everything from my old 110 'instamatic', to a 35mm APS to a cheap digital camera. They all get the job done.

You can take striking shots with just about any type of camera, just practice and develop your 'eye' for it.

One thing worth noting, though...if you plan to take a LOT of pics, you may wanna invest in a digital camera, developing rolls of film gets pretty expensive...not to mention buying the film in the first place! The digital cameras that may seem expensive to you at first can put you dollars AHEAD of the game when you figure out what you'd spend buying and developing several rolls of conventional film!!

3. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

kodak brownie...i took a zillion pics with one of those.

4. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

good thing about digital is instant gratification and yeah you save the time and cost of taking it to get developed,,if you want phots ,,Canon AE1

5. SniffnPaint

SniffnPaint

digital SLR is the only way to go. it almost impossible to take a bad picture. i dont know a whole lot about em but, when i borrow the old lady's i look like a pro.

6. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

It's all in the glass.

A good base camera is needed, but it's all in the glass. I shoot with a Canon Rebel XTi which have came down in price dramatically from the release of the XSi. Last year I plucked $1000 out for this camera and an "ok" IS lens. This year $450-$500 would buy the same setup. It's a 10.3 Megapixel DSLR.

It takes good pics. (sorry this is all I have at the moment)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

$100 to $200 all I can say you are in luck. I have a little Canon Powershot SD 870, that thing is maybe 200 bucks now, but I have taken many pictures, including alot of magazine stuff (Rolls and Pleats) with it.
    BTW, Coby, who does Church magazine uses the same little Canon Powershot, for "all" his photos.
    I do have some bigger Canon SLR's (5d, 20d) but this little powershot, is really, really good.
    Here is just one picture taken by it.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/29370841@N06/2742121676/sizes/l/

8. boldventure

boldventure

I'll second the Powershot series.
    I have an old Powershot that came up lame this spring. Blurry muddled images of nothing. I thought it was junk I'd have to just throw away. Camera store guy said big $$$ to get it fixed. Snooped around and found that there was an image sensor defect and contacted Canon. They sent pre-paid shipping labels and, auth. etc. fixed it, free sent it back in less than one week. Hopefully they replaced it with a better sensor than the one it was first made with.

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I like my Sony Cyber shot 10.1 mega pixels. It's auto everything but there are lots of setting you can play with. One of the main things to look for is a camera with a good lens. The Sony one have a glass lens designed by Carl Zeiss. This one has a huge screen on the back, actually the whole back is a touch screen, a feature I haven't been able to find on another camera. I love this feature as my last camera had a dial for the settings that switched on accident when I pulled it out of my front pocket.

I bet I've got 50,000+ photos already from this one camera so far and I get compliments on them not only online but in my scrapbooks as well. Yeah, I take ALOT of snapshots.:D

Also, I just bought an 8 gig card for it for $35.00 at Best Buy. I can now take 3100+ photos now at one time.:eek::D

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  10. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

For car show stuff almost any of the current digital cameras will do. It is when you start taking high speed stuff/stuff you really need to zoom in on the more expensive cameras start to shine.

For example a couple years ago at VLV I was taking pictures with my wifes 150 dollar fujifilm finepix and with my more expensive Digital Rebel SLR camera.

Cheap Fujifilm camera
    [​IMG]

Digital Rebel camera
    [​IMG]

Not really any difference when you are just pointing and shooting.

The Digital Rebel (SLR) does allow you to change a lot of settings but so do the newer cheaper cameras.

Where mine shines over my wifes camera is when we want to take a picture of my the kids doing something like jumping off a diving board into the pool. My wifes the kids take off and jump off the diving board and pause.......click she gets a picture of the splash if she is lucky. With mine I could turn it on and click photos of the kids even before they got off the diving board or even go into burst mode and get a ton of photos of the whole sequence.

It really depends on what you want to do with the camera on how much you should spend. Also, read reviews on the cameras before you buy them!!!

Also, get a big memory card and take the pictures in the LARGEST format you can. you can always make the pictures smaller but you can not make them larger without distortion.

11. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

12. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Old wrecker hoist sony cyber shot

Attached Files:

13. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I really like my Nikon S610. Pocket portable, big SLR versatile with a quality lens an 10 megapixels. I can have enlargements printed to 20 x 30 with ease. Full manual control if I want and capable of 3200 ISO speeds. Cheap for this kind of power.

14. 61TBird

61TBird

I use a Canon Powershot SD1000
    This is with the flash off...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. rusty48

rusty48

I don;t know enough about photography to make technical recamendations,but I got a Nikon and aKodiak digital,don't know model numbers but their both about $100-150 dollar cameras both make good pictures to me.Only thing I don't like is the little screen on them,really hard to see in the daylight,if it had a view finder like an old camera would be great.If I were buying again I'd go for most megapixels and ease of operation for the money.

16. Fighter-of-Wars

Fighter-of-Wars

17. BillM

BillM
    Member Emeritus

18. i spent $170 on a cannon power shot. a very basic camera with only 8 megapixels. i have been very happy with it. i have even gotten some of my shots printed large on canvas and they come out great. it really just a matter of what you like and do with it i think. digital is nice because you can import them right on to your computer. these shots are color adjusted but done with that camera.

Attached Files:

19. synthsis

synthsis

The camera can be the best in the world but if it's not steady you're gonna get blurry pics. As it's almost impossible to setup a full tripod at a car show (unless you have special early access) get a monopod. They're as cheap as $25-$30 and it will open up your F-stops by as much as 2. Also, the wider the lens the better off you are as you can get close to a car but still get the whole thing in the pic, as there are usually a ton of people milling around it's hard to step back 10 feet from a car without someone getting in frame.

20. 53hauler

53hauler

I would recomend a pocket digital.Medium price first.If you get hooked on photography you can up grade.Don`t miss out on the show while you are looking for a million dollar shot.And I think a few smaller cards are better than a large one.Some cameras slow right down as the card fills up.Also spare batteries and a charger are a must.Just my opinion Good Luck

21. Weasel

Weasel

+1 on the Panasonics - up to 10X optical zoom in a 28mm (wide angle) lens or 5X optical zoom with a 25mm super wide angle lens - all that in a point and shoot which fits in your pocket. Panasonic use Leica lens - the absolute best, and Panasonic makes the digital cameras for Leica.

22. Harris

Harris

It depends on your usage...

For simple usage, any digital point and shoot will work - most have smaller screens and size, making them easier to carry/use - BUT have limited zoom most are between 3 and 5 times optical zoom.

For intermediate usage - more zoom, more options/control, there's a "category" of super zoom cameras. These usually have at least 10 time optical zoom and greater control. Even though they have more controls than a point and shoot they are much easier to use than the uplevel SLR's.

Top of the line - digital SLR - maximum control, but higher prices and steeper learning curve.

Personally I just stepped up from my Casio point and shoot up to a Sony H50 (mid-range) I got it because I wanted more control than I had with my point and shoot, but couldn't justify the priced of an SLR. Best part so far is the ability to adjust ISO settings (light sensitivity) so I don't get nearly as many of those pictures that have the flash so bright that it makes the pic look fake/un-natural.

Sorry for the long post, but hope it helps... just my unedjumacted .02

23. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Look at the Panasonic Lumix series. 10.2 mega pixel, Leica lens (amazingly sharp) big viewing screen and as much auto or manual as you like, excellent size, iso adj, even three different picture aspect ratios etc. All for around 300 to 400 bucks. I love mine....

24. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

The best point and shoot camera is not made anymore, it's a Nikon Coolpix L1. It's about 3 yrs out of production, so they still pop up on ebay as new back stock. I've had several Nikon P&S (pos) cameras since that one since I like to keep a P&S in the glovebox incase I see something I wanna shoot (Who's going to lug $1000 DSLR around all day for no actual reason) and there has yet to be a Nikon P&S made that rivals the Coolpix L1. I'm convinced they took it off the market because the DSLR owners were complaining about it being "too good" because everything since it was removed has been lame in comparison. I actually left my DSLR and lens's at home in favor of it several times where I didn't need that ultra DSLR resolution.

If you find an L1 on ebay (they'll be right at $100 for new backstock) and it doesn't absolutely amaze you............. I'll buy it. How's that?

Here's a review, I have never seen a silver one for sale, they are always black http://www.dpreview.com/news/0509/05090102nikon_coolpixl1.asp