Register now to get rid of these ads!

Removing OLD Masking Tape????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HemiRambler, Apr 11, 2009.

1. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

What methods have you guys used to REMOVE old hard masking tape??? It's on a painted surface. It's a 2 inch wide strip the length of my pickup bed - probably been there since '65.:eek:

2. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

WD-40

Soak it, wait, repeat

3. GarageDweller

GarageDweller

I've used Bestine in the past. Works great on adhesives without damaging paint. You can find it at most art supply stores.

4. 54 savoy

54 savoy

i never tried wd-40 always used lacquer thinner,probably not good for painted surface though,

5. Chaoticcustoms

Chaoticcustoms

if its been there since 65 lacquer thinner wouldnt be a good choice lol, most likely a lacquer based paint. Try the 3M adhesive remover, but with whatever you do try...make sure to try it out in an inconspicuious spot first.

6. A blow torch should take it off. :D

X2 for WD-40 and time. I'd sharpen up a plastic puddy knife and start working the edges when it starts to lift. Good luck.

7. north

north
    from orlando fl

8. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I'd probably use wax and grease remover.

9. For stubborn old masking tape - SAND BLAST the afflicted area. And repaint.:D

10. Gene Winfield Rod&Custom

Gene Winfield Rod&Custom
    from Mojave,Ca

Try soaking it with some of the non compliant pre cleaner like PPG DX 330. Maybe put some on a rag or paper towel and hold it over the tape for awhile. If it comes off maybe you could then run a buffer over the mark left. Or possibly an eraser wheel you use to take off decals or two sided tape with, really slow and easy. Dont know. I did this on a customers car once, like a numb skull I left the tape on for, lets just say awhile. I used pre cleano and kept at for a couple of hours then buffed it.

Good luck, Dewey

11. humpie

humpie

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

3m Adhesive Remover.

13. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

used a product called " Goof-Off " on my boat...tape was on about 6 year, came right off

14. Heat gun will soften the old tape to remove the surface,,,then use goof off to remove the adheasive,,it won't hurt the paint. HRP

15. striper

striper

Eucalyptus oil. Plenty of that here. Don't know about over there.

16. missysdad1

missysdad1

Try turpentine...not mineral spirits, but pure gum turpentine. Keep the tape wet and give it time to work. Softens the adhesive. Just don't get impatient. Won't hurt paint. Good luck. :)

17. Road Runner

Road Runner

Naptha or lighter fluid to clean any type of finish or surface.
    I use it to clean or prep fine musical instrument finishes of any age.
    Hard old masking tape will take a bit more patience but will eventually get disolved with zero damage.

18. whid

whid

wd-40 will work.i use it to remove adhesive residue all the time.............dave

19. 3M general Purpose Adhesive Cleaner. Try it on a hidden spot. I used it for decals on a old tool box and it worked great.

20. LZ

LZ

Hey Jacin:

So I haven't picked up the Gun in a bunch of years but if its still made its great for things like this and many other. Plus its totally safe on your Paint.

If I remember correctly the numbers were DX 440 and DX 330.
    Ditzler Ditz O. I had my best results with PPG products. But this was long ago.

Its great to have around any way.Safely Cleans off bugs and road debris on your car before you Wash and wax. Great on a Boat too. Use Gloves or your hands will be White and Hard for days.

So whats up with the FED:confused: Tell the Wife there always time to remodel..:p

21. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

My choice too.

22. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Mineral spirits. But expect the paint under it to be brighter than the rest.:D

23. concreteman

concreteman

These two worked best for me ,no harm to paint,wife's hair dryer works fine

24. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

hot soapy water

25. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Thanks Luke! I've been telling the wife that for years:rolleyes:

So far I think she's happy. I've been in the garage alot lately - just trying to get caught up.

The digger (however) is CALLING me.......no big changes planned for this year - though I'd LOVE to bolt on a supercharger, my good heads,some good pistons and ah ah..... I digress.

I'm still learning so this year realistically I really want to see what it can do with my cast off parts as is. I'm trying grasp as much as I can about the fuel injection stuff. Theory is great, but OJT is pricelesss!!!!

How's your project coming along??? Any updates?

26. Jalopyrama Mike

Jalopyrama Mike

Wife's hair dryer - two speeds start with low and check if not loose go for the HI HEAT!

27. MLK

MLK

My vote is also for 3M Adhesive Remover.....might have to do more than one application.

I used it on my neighbor's antique fire truck and it took the old tape off.

Took a couple of tries on some of it.

We had no idea how long it had been on there.

Mike

28. I have been sucessful using a hair dryer to soften the adhesive.

29. Defisch

Defisch
    from Hudson FL.

WD-40 works great.