Register now to get rid of these ads!

milling heads larger valve (317) lincoln

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gasolinedeniz, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Okay i took my heads off today and plan to rebuild my engine . Of course i would like to get a few extra horses . So i plan to go with larger valves and mill the head a little bit . (not shure about the valves) so how much is safe to mill the heads down without running into problems ? i thought around something like 0.04 -0.06 what do you guys think about ? Also there are no speedparts for my engine what would you do to get it run fine . Should be a daily driver with around 250 horses would be nice .
    i never did a port job , can it be done if i am careful or should i leave my fingers from it ?

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

What year is your engine? If it's a '52, a swap to '53 or newer heads would make more sense than trying to rework the early heads. My 1953 "Manual of the New Engines", put out by Hop Up magazine, notes that the Lincoln heads can be safely milled enough to up the c.r. to 9:1, but doesn't list an amount.

3. okay thats cool to know but i still wonder how much i have to mill? no one else has a idea ?by the way , my engine should be a 53

4. I'm not real big on the Lincoln Y but .045" is about max for the Ford Y. As for the bigger valves you can messure your total length and stem size then go through a valve catalog like SBI or SI and usually find something that will go in its place. ( the Ford Y is good with +.200" SBC valves) Watchout on the valve head size and don't try to go too big, if you "shroud" the valve on the edge of the combustion chamber you can do more harm than good. When porting you can get the most out of cleaning up the valve pocket, just take the rough stuff out, and make sure all transition are smooth and have a good radius not right angles. Hope this helps.

5. this helped a lot ,thats some cool infos ,thanks

6. Southfork

Southfork

Has anyone on the HAMB figured out How to identify the year of manufacture and displacement of a Lincoln Y Block truck engine? I also have a Lincoln y block, but haven't yet been able to identify which one it is --- and therefore i can't begin to rebuild it.

7. cornernfool

cornernfool

Southfork, near the distributer pad are some casting letters, ECT, ECU, EAD, these tell the size. Heads are marked the same way. Tell us what you got.

8. Merkonic

Merkonic

Try finding a set of heads from a 56-57 Lincoln 368 or 57 Merc Turnpke cruiser 368 code ECU.I am using a 53 317 myself for my next project.The real fun is making it a stick.....

9. Merkonic

Merkonic

Truck engines are 279-EAL,317-EAM (54),302 & 332-FE.Theres a little info here-http://ford-y-block.com/lincoln.htm

10. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I have my 341 dissassembled since about a week ago, l am looking to get it together next week.

As far as my 341 goes I am fairly impressed with the size of the valves, I think they are 2.00 intake and 1.50 exhaust. Loooking at the cylinders, and the CARBON left over on the top edges of the cylinders, (i.e: how the combustion chambers carved out of the head already extend OVER the outside sdges of the cylinders), I don't think the valves can get a lot bigger, and even IF a modest valve size increase is possible, much of the benifit would likely be lost due to valve shrouding.

IMO, I think that you could have the block milled down just a little in order to raise compression a little. My pistons measured down in the block .0250, I think you could likely mill the block .040 to bring the piston up in the bore, (.0150).

Judging from the WEIGHT of the block, (damn!) this should not be an issue, add some more compression by MILDLY milling the heads and the compression COULD be raised quite a bit, without taking A LOT off of either the heads or the block.

IMO, l judging from the weight of the heads (as heavy or heavier than a BBC?), there should be enough meat that milling should not be an issue, but sonic testing both the block and the heads should provide som insurance that will verify my thoughts.

Frankly, I was really impressed with the setup of these Lincoln engines, I think the heads show a lot of foreward thought with regard to port setup and sizing, I am going to concentrate on the carb and intake manifold to acomidate some MILD power gains for my build, which is really more of just a freshen up job.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  11. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Incidently, I have a friend who I talked to today, he can get a 56 368 with the Turbo Drive for $1,000.00 even, but he would need to pull it out so he would need a couple hundred also... He offered this to me today, but I don't need it, so I thought I might post it up in case it is a better deal than I think it is...

He says that he THINKS the engine was rebuilt not long before the 56 Lincoln was parked, the engine is clean and FORD BLUE....

12. It is best to get the deck hieght to .000" for a good quench area not just for compression, this will help prevent detonation. also try to find NOS steel shim gaskets to keep this area around .025-.030".

13. fitty_2

fitty_2

Good thread. I found this info on the LOVEFORDS site which was helpful.

http://www.lovefords.org/tech/truck/enginecodes.htm

I recently found what appears to be an 'F' code four barrel 332 in a 1961 Ford F750 Fuel Truck. I have been keeping my eyes open for a 292 'D' code heavy duty truck engine and thought I had found it, but upon closer inspection... This seems like it might be the place to ask if anyone had tested the high performance potential of this engine. Apparently it has a steel crank as well. I always like the look of this engine, but heard about a lack of speed parts.