Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Where were you in '62???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CalGasser, Mar 21, 2009.

1. I Drag

I Drag

I was new, in '62.

2. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I was stationed in theCaribbean, before, and after '62, listened to BBC RADIO during Bay of Pigs because US news only passed on what the US govt released to them at any specific time. BBC told a more complete story.
    Early reports, as documented, state a different story from the facts, which later revealed it was a secret US operation. :eek:
    1961: Exiles invade Cuba at Bay of Pigs
    Reports from Cuba say the island has been invaded by counter-revolutionary forces trying to overthrow the country's leader, Fidel Castro.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/april/17/newsid_2847000/2847935.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/april/17/newsid_3394000/3394067.stm

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  3. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

I was 13..building model cars..slot racin'..and trying to cop a feel from Sue T...
    Freshman in HS..football..baseball..and playin guitar..

I wanted a 57 Vette..which I finally got in 1967.. Awesome days..and nights..

4. ragtop35

ragtop35

Any of you old timer LA guys remember Service Center on Atlantic? Used to be able to go in there and brouse through used parts. How about Palleys War Surplus, or when Joe Reath Automotive was down on 7th or 10th before he moved up on Cherry at Willow?

5. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Ohhh...Kaaay..
    BBC was in reference to a big block chevy..(we SoCal folks didn't consider the 409 anything but a truck engine)...

6. hotrodsneverdie

hotrodsneverdie

is 62 i was about to be born....in 27 years

7. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Foot removed:D Thanks for straightening me out. I was tuned on to the reference to historical happenings, don't have any opinion on what constitutes a Big Block, but do I get the feeling it's different in cali?:D

8. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

hahaha...more than just a little "different" in Cali :)

9. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was hatched in 62.

10. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Seven years before my conception but my Pops was racing his ass off!

Attached Files:

11. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Reath was at 10th & Cherry I think. I used to watch them work on
    their stuff there around 56. Good Days

12. mottsrods

mottsrods

I was swimming in my dad's nut sack..........doing donuts and burnouts.....raising hell!!!

13. hellisterrodder

hellisterrodder
    BANNED
    from Hollister

I did not burst out of the meat curtains until 76. The old man was still a rollin stone.

14. hellisterrodder

hellisterrodder
    BANNED
    from Hollister

NICE! He said sac.

15. 2Loose

2Loose

Workin' at a gas station putting myself thru engineering school, worried about the draft, and driving a '54 chevy ragtop, which I was slowly modifyin' as I got the time and a few dollars to do so.....
    [​IMG]

16. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Just starting 7th grade and wishing for time to fly so I could get my drivers license. Drifting around my grandmothers back lot plowing snow with a 1932 5 window LOL.

17. fleetside66

fleetside66

On 12/31/62, just before midnite, I was driving my best friend's (mother's) '55 T-Bird & got pulled over by a state cop in a '62 Chevy. He was hassling us about the pipes. We didn't have the registration & had to hunt down the folks at a wild party that same night. We delivered the registration to the state cop's barracks that same night & got off the hook. We couldn't get in the front door of the barracks & found an open side door, went in a dark hallway & scared the hell out of one of the cops. Lucky we didn't get shot. 1963 the next day!

19. 16 years old living on 14th and belmont in portland and hanging out with my hoodlum Friends.

20. 1lowtoy

1lowtoy
    BANNED

Itch in my old mans jeans at the time to, came out about 30 years later, bout around the gulf war era

21. AZCOWBO

AZCOWBO

My Sr. year 61-62 and we won Okla State Football and track Championships. Guiness Book, eventually placed our school in the records for winning the District Titile 33 yrs in a row, with only two coaches. My first car is my Avatar with me proudly wearing my letter jacket white socks, and my first first-place drag trophy.(So it's small)

22. silversink

silversink

18 yrs old in Portland frequenting places like Dees In & Out, Tic Toc, Scottys Drive in, Vans Drive Inn, Stark St Drive Inn, Portland Speedway, Acme Wrecking Yard, Firestone Night Drags, Cruising Broadway, Parking on Rocky Butte, in my still owned 1933-3-window Ford coup. Wow I need to take a nap after that, did I mention the Hollywood 3D theater.:eek:

23. TV

TV

I was just getting out of high school. I was driving a 30 model A coupe with an alexander overhead with 39 gears in the 32 trans. It was red primer with white tuck & roll. It had 2 48's Stromburgs and didn't take a back seat to anything in a city block, Boy I loved that car. I should have never sold it.--TV

24. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

First year out of high school. Driving my 57 Ford convertable, working for J. C. Pennys.Go to http://members.fotki.com/roberthendricks/about and see the photo of me and my brother. Our pic with licence plates #1 and #2 from Jefferson County, Iowa. I was also trying to do everything I could. Most of them loved the convertable. My brother's 58 was a sleeper. Was the 210 post car but had 3-2's. Was very fast.

25. strike a poser

strike a poser
    from Salinas,CA

I was in the incubator birth date 1/7/63.

26. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

In '62, wishing I had a beer, wonderin' what all the fuss was about. Couldn't get a brew at the NCO club, something about 'national' mourning, but a lot of people figured the bubbly was flowing in the basement of the agency. Along with that the same people that were ringing their hands didn't even blink when the facts about the Bay of Pigs came out, nor at the numbers of troops being killed in SEA. A moot point, however, it didn't stop the slaughter.

27. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The Doctor had me by the ankles and slapped my ass.

28. buikwag

buikwag
    1. Buick Nailheads

Just getting out of the Navy, and returning to my job with the state of California. I was driving my Candy Blue 1953 Chevy Convertible. Enjoying life.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  29. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I was in high school at Williams Bay, WI....a senior...
    Had an old piece of crap 1947 Nash....ran and got me around...
    I guess I was a "Hood" back in those days....had a 1942 Harley WLA that I rode to school and was my main ride unless it was cold or raining...
    Had tattoos, and wore engineer boots, blue jeans, had a DA haircut, and had my cigs rolled up in the sleeve of my T-Shirt.....
    During the summers I worked at the local beach...Oh My...what a wonderful job that was !!!!
    Loved it. Still riding a Harley at 67 years old too.....
    Cheers,
    Bob

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  30. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I was a senior in high school riding a 3 spd English racer bike reading Hotrod...a gift subscription and building AMT model cars listening "Apache" on the AM radio.