Register now to get rid of these ads!

barn car found just want some opinions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ks-sparky, Apr 10, 2009.

1. ks-sparky

ks-sparky
    from kansas

i found a 1940 olds its complete i am talking with the owner about a price. it is a coupe with the back seat. i dont know alot of the details i am gonna have to act fast.

Attached Files:

2. 52 HenryJ

52 HenryJ

If your somewhat close to me I can help ya load it up. :)

3. pila38

pila38

Looks like its good shape...but pictures can be deceiving. I would take it, but it depends if the guy wants a fortune for it or not.

4. Black Primer

Black Primer

As long as the price isn't crazy, why not. How many more do you think you'll find???

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

It's an old car. It looks like it's in half way decent shape. Do you want it? Can you afford it? Those are about all of the opinions I have when I find one. Balls in your court.

Frank

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the harder things car nut wise is to put an honest price on a car like that that is sitting in a barn 2000 miles away.
    All I can say is take the cash that you honestly feel that the car is worth to you and negotiate from there as cash talks and be backs walk in my book.
    I like that model of Olds and they make a nice cruiser.

7. rustrustler

rustrustler

I think it all depends on the price. While it does seem complete you have to remember that there arn't a lot of aftermarket parts for 40 Olds. That being said I believe I'd go for it and if it didn't work out sell it and move on. Remember free advice is worth what you pay for it. Mike.

8. 210sedan

210sedan
    from upnorth,wi

opinion? 2000.00

9. Is it a six or an eight?
    That would determine value as a collectible car.

10. pacemaker

pacemaker

That's a handsome car to start with and APPEARS to be in solid condition.
    If it fits the image you of what you'ld like to drive then don't let it get away. If not, 2500 clams tops.
    My opinion.

11. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

opera coupe eh...

$2500-$3000 tops

12. Cool! I used to own one. Hope its all there cause I had a bitch of a time finding parts.

13. Throw caution to the wind................................
    Get that car!

14. vertible59

vertible59

I've seen those built into rods with great results. Looks solid in the pix...if owner has his mind right, go for it!

15. sololobo

sololobo

Here's my 2-cents, Super rare body style, beautiful sculpted lines on front end, incredible trim!!, look at that triple bar bumper override in front-wow, It would look great with all orig exterior including full trim, maybe a litttle tail dragger attitude, skirts??, wide whites-caddy sombrero caps with center bullets-or not-, sorry gtting carried away here!! Good Luck, as you can tell I fucking love it!!~Sololobo~

16. I'd be ALL OVER THAT.

17. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

hey looks complete, that would be a bonus. You wont see many at the cruise nites. Has open driveline, and may be able to get a later olds or pont rear gear. You can put in any kind of engine/drivetrain you want pretty easily. steering and chassis is decent for cruisin should be able to build a reasonably priced rod for lo bucks

18. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

This doesn't look like Kansas anymore Toto .... get it before its gone, as long as you can afford to that is.

19. DO IT!!!!!!!!!!! Olds are very rare, you don't see many of them. Very similar to my '41 Poncho

20. Truer words were never spoken...

21. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

22. vinnymac44

vinnymac44
    from W. Oregon

I would just say, make sure it is something you want and want to spend some $ on. If it's been sittin for a long time it will take more $ to bring it back. If you want it get it!

23. Was just going to mention that same one on CL, I doubt you could reproduce it for the $7000.

24. ks-sparky

ks-sparky
    from kansas

thanks for the links and opinions how do tell the differant models apart. any one have pics of a more traditional style of build on one of these

25. Remember.
    They are not making Oldsmobiles any more so the rarity increases.

26. bill3337

bill3337

Don't under value the fact that this car is complete and looks in good condition for a starter. If I was after a '40 Olds, I would value that starter at between $5000 and $7000. There are lots of cars out there, but you usually end up throwing the bulk of the parts away and replacing them, and real good original parts don't come cheap. Bill

27. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

You must be talking in CAD and about the maroon car on craigslist right? I understand they are not making more 40' Olds', but jesus! I'm with the 2-3k crowd, and I think 5-7k is waaaay outta line.

28. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

I have a '40 pontiac and determing what body it was wasn't easy...

Here's what I learned and it might hep with the olds.

GM had 3 bodys in 1940 - A, B and C or Standard, Torpedo, and Special

For olds, the Standard is the smallest (not sure of the name), Special is "Series 60", and Torpedo is the "Custom Cruiser 8"

The gas filler changed sides.. Special had it on the pass side, the other two on drivers side.

The lower cowl is the main way I figured it out.

The standard body has a body line that is straight down on the lower part of the cowl. Right under where the hood ends.

Topedo curves forward and is flat elswhere.

Special has a slight forward curve and then goes down

Kind of hard to explain, but 'll try to find some pictures and post them.

29. 40-olds

40-olds

I thaught you might want to know I have some parts and could answer most of your questions need more details to place value some parts will swap with other GM cars. send a pm if you like. here are a few picts. of mine

Attached Files: