Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Doing Falcons Right

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconizer_62, Jul 23, 2008.

1. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

I usually use one from later Mustang,but those are usually cast and heavy pigs. I am also very interested if there is an aluminum one that works...

2. Ghostcruiser

Ghostcruiser
    from NE Florida

I'm using a drum/drum manual m/c from a '67 Mustang on my disc/drum Falcon...works pretty decent for me....:)

Oh, yeah...and a Grenada proportioning valve...

Rob

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  3. I run a '67 mustang, disc/drum set-up from Autozone, $20!

4. 71 Maverick, disc/drum non power

5. cruzingratiot

cruzingratiot
    from Detroit MI

if you are using disc front brakes,
    alot of late model mustang use a dodge full size van master
    it is a 60 40 no valve required

Paul Jug

6. Judd

Judd

CarQuest part# 20-1485 it's a GM part and I have 4 wheel disc brakes

7. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

I've got 4 wheel drums. I read that they use the ranger mc's in an article about the FAST racers in Muscle Car Review. They said the alum unit weighs less than half the weight of the stock iron single res. Light makes right!

Come on Judd, a GM part!?!?! Oh hell no.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  8. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

I have been looking for the same one also, but every time they look it up for the year Ford ranger they bring me a cast unit. I also run 4 wheel drum and use the 67 mustang master cylinder.

Jon

9. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

Nobody has a part number or a lead on this mystery aluminum MC?

10. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Hate to break the news to you. The 260 and the first 65 289 engines were 5 bolt bell housing patterns. They spread the patter to 6 bolt in 1966.
    This has nothing to do with adapting a T-5 to the bellhousing.
    The adapter is used on the tranny side.
    Ford changed this for harmonic reason. Same reason why they dropped the 221, 260 and built the 289.

11. Judd

Judd

The 5 bolt bell has a different trans pattern, the early 6 bolt tranys had both patterns on them T-5 adaptor would need both patterns to work with both bells.

12. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

I stand corrected JUDD.

Thanks for the clearing this up.
    I totally forgot that i was using an early top loader.
    But they still do make a t-5 adapter for that 5 bolt bell swap.

13. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

Well,here's where I'm at... I finished up all of the rear suspension, and the diff housing.

Here are the lower shock mounts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is the finished upper shock mount...
    [​IMG]

installed! (but not final welded in):D
    [​IMG]

this is the upper rear bag and panhard bar mount...
    [​IMG]

these are the front upper mounts and uprights and spacers rough cut.
    [​IMG]

I'll post more pics as the rear is assembled and as i progress on the front...
    peace.

14. hoplias

hoplias
    from California

Does the 67 mustang disc/drum manual master cylinder bolt right up without any mods ?Do they require a proportioning valve?

15. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

Yes and yes (as far as I know). You will, however, need to make and modify a few brake lines, as the later one is a dual reservoir.
    Peace, and happy wrenching:)

16. Ghostcruiser

Ghostcruiser
    from NE Florida

Unless you use the original Falcon push rod, you'll have to shorten the one that comes with the Mustang m/c...just cut the end "button" off at the clip groove, and round the tip with a grinder...works like a charm!:)
    Rob

17. Searching "Granada swap" should yield info. A quick look mentions the Granada combo valve and a Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve. I think the combo valve is proportioning and a "shutoff" if there's a major leak.

18. Ghostcruiser

Ghostcruiser
    from NE Florida

19. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

All the little detail stuff sure takes a lot of time. Grinding, cleaning, degreasing, primering and drilling plug weld holes, hammering the parts to fit after welding shrinkage reassembling and rebuilding all the diff internals etc.
    but, it is all finished (although only tacked in, in case I need to make ride height adjustments), and hopefully remain there until it is running and driving. And I have started the initial fabrication for the front shock tower modifications.

The diff: rebuilt, installed and painted with Rustoleum for now...
    [​IMG]

The upper bag and the pan hard bar mount and upper shock mount tacked in...
    [​IMG]

Here is the whole deal set up minus the bags. They are dual port and I am waiting for some plugs to make them single port.
    [​IMG]

Finally have the rear tires on again!
    [​IMG]

... the uprights for the front shock towers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is still a lot to do, but hope to be having it roll out of the garage soon. :D
    It hasn't moved for close to two years now.
    Peace out.

20. rocketsam

rocketsam
    from Phoenix,AZ

Falconizer, you are one creative man, cant wait to see this one finished!

-Sam

21. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

Thanks, man. It is a lot of fun.:D
    I got a couple of five hour stints in between the weekend and this afternoon. I am trying to get the front roughly mocked up, so I could see all the things I didn't think of in my head. I know there will be a lot of should have, would have, could haves to come, but here is what I got so far...

I know that it's rough, but I just need to see if it will work and where it will rub...
    [​IMG]

I had a piece of quarter inch plate bent to match the angle of the airbag.
    [​IMG]

In this shot, you can see the angle that the airbag sits and where both control arms are cut.
    [​IMG]

There already are a few clearance issues that I will have to deal with...
    I am making the ride height adjustable, so I can set it when it's on the ground and under pressure...
    [​IMG]

I am sure that the design will evolve.
    Peace

22. falconeer

falconeer

Hey Falcon Lovers,
    Scored this 63 2dr sedan about a month ago.
    It has a 95 Cobra roller motor with long tube hooker headers,650 dubble pumper,alum. intake, e-303 cam,Mallory 9000 hi-fire ign. 9mm plug wires. T-5 trans (95 Cobra), Line lock, 8.8 Rear cut to 55 3/4 with Moser axels,410 Posi. Shelby type traction bars .
    Goes like a Bat out of Hell!

LInk---http://public.fotki.com/falconeer/

The blue 60 is not mine. It was at the Falcon nats about 3 years ago. I was so impressed that i put it in my ALb.

23. falconeer

falconeer

24. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Hi everybody, after followin all the Falcon Done Right thread w/ much intrest i was almost gonna sell my truck to get one...honestly! I also found a early falcon Rancho available....
    Diffrently, i just found out about this Doing Falcons Right just few weeks ago, and its kinda inspirational for my own Ford project, which aint a falcon but an euro unibody ford,i also thought about narrowin the control arms, infact i wanted sum advice from somebody, falconizeer, whos already done it!
    Suspension its not strut tipe, it has coils and shocks, but the upper A arm has the exact same shape as yours, lower i dont know as i didnt see yours, plus, did ya cut the lowers aswell? i would think so, but dont wanna just guess it.
    Plus,very inportant,what do i have to consider, other than the obvious steering clearence issues, b4 i start cuttin?
    I wouldnt want this to be one of those times you realize youre screwed just after you cant turn back!!!!!
    Thanx for your time,
    Nick.

25. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

You can always turn back...it's just a matter of 50 bucks for some new arms. You have to cut the upper and lower. I am not quite sure in everything that this effects, but here is what I have so far...
    the inside shock tower supports will not fit, so I must make a new one. Bump stops will have to be figured out. I will have to also fabricate a sway bar and strut rods.
    In addition, I used the fat man drop spindles.
    If you're nervous, you may want to practice on your old ones...

26. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Well, thanx, that was really fast!
    Its not that im nervous really, simply everytime i start on something thinkin its gonna be a easy one it ends up like hell! So now im just startin to get on things more seriously.:)
    Anyway, if its only a matter of re-doin mounts e brakets its not that bad, as i have to make'em anyway as im adaptin the K member to accept bags.
    Wont really be done too soon as i have another ride i must take care of 1st, so that i can start tearin into the ford full time and still have something to carry me around.
    I'll keep tuned to see what you (and everybody elses here too) will come up w/, then when im done we can always share knowledge!:D
    Thanx so much for your time, Nick.

27. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

Is anybody else working on their birds,or does the weather just suck everywhere?
    I love California!
    Well, chipping away at the airbag system, made a mount for the valves and the compressor, as well as started the tunnel work needed...

the tank was made for a trunk mount, so I had to modify it to be able to mounted sideways for the wagon.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the start of the compressor and valve platform
    [​IMG]

the compressor mounts...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the compressor and valves...
    [​IMG]

the caddy tail lights couldn't fit the '62 lenses better!!!
    [​IMG]

tunnel work...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

little by little it's coming along!!

how about a few of your projects for inspiration?...
    peace,
    kai

28. Ghostcruiser

Ghostcruiser
    from NE Florida

Dude...it sucks royally, down here in Florida....rain, flooding and now, cold weather in April...I can't get jack-crap done on my cars...:(
    Rob

29. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

Falconizer, could you outline what you did to the lower control arm? I can see in this pic that it's bee re-angled, but how much?

[​IMG]

I'm getting a '63 4-door this weekend and I want to get it in the weeds, but keep the stock coil and shock suspension. I know the arms need re-worked I'd just like to get the info from someone whos done it.

30. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

Here is the story on the A. arms.
    I did not re-angle them, instead I got the fat man dropped spindles, so that the suspension is more or less in the stock position.
    I squared them on the ground, mounted a laser level on a sawhorse, and taped off the lines. After it was taped, I spray painted them, and then cut out everything that was painted.

[​IMG]

I removed 1.5 inches...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is the drop spindle (the arms have not been narrowed in this pic.)
    [​IMG]

i hope that is what you're looking for...
    peace