Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need Help Lowering a 51 Ford Shoebox

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dakota Kid, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Dakota Kid

Dakota Kid

I am in the process of putting air bags on a friends 51 ford Victoria 2dr hardtop. We have Fourlinked and bagged the rear. We installed the front bags but the car is not low enough yet. Has anyone heard or done a flip on the spindles...I was told that flipping and switching the spindles from side to side you could lower the car without having to spend the big bucks on dropped spindles. If so what mods and changes need to be done to the steering ect.

Dak Kid

2. R Pope

R Pope

Buy the dropped uprights. Flipping stock ones ends up with weird steering geometry problems and tire wear.

3. waldo39

waldo39
    from Illinois

Drop the lower control arm spring plate by bolting in 1" spacers. These were sold way back in the day. 2 spacers per side. I used these and a Fat Man kit.

4. Dakota Kid

Dakota Kid

Is it possible to get any alignment out of the front if you do flip them? Its got air ride up front so tire wear is gonna happen especially becuz this dude drives the wheels off it and its got bias plys on it.

Dak Kid

5. quoteing my self

now i havent driven this car i kinda stalled out but the technques ar hamb proven

6. studeboy

studeboy

Hey DK, check out this post.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6342

Try searching for flipping uprights or spindles. This question has been asked and discussed many times. I don't think the effort is worth it considering you still need to HEAT AND BEND the upright and steering arms. Seems to me there isn't a lot of room for error. The lowering blocks in the control arms may be the way to go if cash is an issue. Several people sell them or you could make some of your own. Here's an article on the blocks and as you'll see the are essentially a piece of square bare with 3 holes in it. (2 required per side)

http://www.okchristianrodsandcustoms.com/Installing front lowering blocks.pdf

Anyways hope that helps
    Eric

Looks like I'm a little late on this one. LOL

7. 55FORDWGN

55FORDWGN

I've got a set of the spacers if you are interested. They were in my 55' when I bought it, after I cut a coil it was way to low, so I took them out. Yours if you want them cheap.

8. Dakota Kid

Dakota Kid

My problem with modified lower a-arms is the airbag I am putting is to wide for the A-rm.