Register now to get rid of these ads!

how not to weld

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scott Danforth, Apr 2, 2009.

1. THE MAESTRO

THE MAESTRO

just goes to show the old saying tolds true "if the metals thin turn up the wire speed ,if its dirty turn up the wire speed ,if its two different materials turn up the wire speed ,if your not sure about the penitration turn up the wire speed , and if u realy want to impress your buddys turn up the wire speed " and "welding helmit i dont need no stinkin welding helmit!!!!!!!!!!!" THE MAESTRO

2. WHO FUCKING CARES! If we ignore this heinous bullshit, it will go away. There are so much better things we can be talking about. Every day there is some stupid shit that has no purpose but to create NEGATVE responses. Lets get over ourselves and forget it. Ill leave it at that...

T. Hilton

3. poorboy

poorboy

lol that was funny

this thing hurts my eyes
    [​IMG]

4. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Yes. Like finding a way to keep the US from becoming a 3rd world country...I like Lasagna :D

5. Exactly! :) But really, i just hate seeing bad welding..it breaks my pit of a heart....

T. Hilton

6. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

7. yeah dude. Totally.

8. Del Clark

Del Clark
    from DeLand,FL

right?

9. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Being an Australian Hot Rodder I never though I would be caught dead saying this, but....
    Thank god (Not, that he exists/insert deity here) we have such strict registration laws!

Doc.

10. ..sigh..

So fucking stupid.

11. GlenC

GlenC

Hmmm...

I posted a link to that site when it first appeared, and the thread was deleted the same night without comment by the mods. i wonder what I did wrong that makes my thread unacceptable and yours OK?

Cheers, Glen.

12. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

Heat does not create velocity, but I never said it did. Pressure creates velocity. I said that the pressure from the expanding exhaust gasses against the vanes makes the turbine spin. I don't doubt that the rear turbo systems work, but turbos are more efficient when they are mounted closer to the exhaust ports. Aside from that, you pulled the quote from a company which makes rear turbo systems to reduce underhood space and heat, so they can say whatever else they want to sell their product.

13. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

At an atomic (particulate) level, heat does create velocity... That's why it "creates volume."
    But volume without density is worthless unless you're flying a zeplin... And if you have 2 samples of equal volume but one's hotter than the other, the hotter one is going to be less dense.
    That's why deadgearhead may be right and STS turbo is probably marketting...

The question is, does the colder, denser exhaust charge farther away from the engine spin the turbo better than the hotter, more active charge closer to the engine...

My guess is it's probably close to a wash in average situations but there's probably ideal applications for both scenarios...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  14. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

No, they don't

Simply put, rear mounted turbos don't work as good as front mount turbos.

BUT if you know anything about turbos, then you know even midsize turbos are capable of adding such stupid boost levels you can cook any engine underneath em. 600hp is pretty easy even with inefficient twins behind a V8.

Do you guys know the real reason OEs mount the turbos close? Lag and driveability. So with a rearmount maybe you've got a second or two of lag. So for the first 50 feet you're relying on your 400 horse V8. Then the "laggy & inefficient" turbos catch up with another 200 horse and stay spooled for the rest of the quarter mile.

Tell me again how that's bad? Maybe it's the streetracer in me, but that sounds like the perfect balance to get a street suspended, traction limited car moving.

15. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

600hp is pretty easy without a turbo or other power adder, still not seeing the advantage, sorry.

Much easier to plump a nitrous system under the intake and have a much more reliable, cheaper and reliable system. More consistant and easier to control as well.

16. harley man

harley man

A mans got to know his limitations........

17. blown green t

blown green t

Just add 2 gallons of bondo and it's ready for paint!

18. 36dually

36dually
    from Colorado

I don't see a problem as long as there is enough egg in the noodles, the marinara is allowed to thicken enough, and you use the right tip to spray on the cheese.

19. rat rods giving people with no mechanical, welding, fabrication, design, painting skills the category to build cars and relate themselves to hot rods, lowriders, sleepers, customs, etc.

the part that i am jealous of is he was able to weld all that and have a dent on the original and lasagna skin blend flawlessly. actually the part i am really jealous of is the door it looks normal. so maybe it was chopped by the previous owner, and the welds are for strength?, Or maybe its a cubist form of pinstriping, but used his welder instead.

20. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

To say nothing of the riveted roof insert...

21. blown green t

blown green t

Nitrous is CRAP! Nitrous is more consistent until your bottle is empty! Its not part of the car that can be used any time your driving, unless you drive everywhere with the system active. I want a power rush anytime I step on the pedal. And when is the last time you saw a nitrous refill pump at the gas station? If you want something that can be used once in a while at the track then I guess it is ok. If you put a blower or turbo on and it's set up properly, they are totally reliable and the power is ALWAYS there, all the time.

22. old_skool_1953

old_skool_1953

I now feel like I am the best welder on the face of the planet! Thanks for the self esteem boost.

23. I was waiting for someone to stay something, now granted there are some nice hot rods that are related to rat rods, I prefer to see them as traditional build hot rods, finding what you can, keeping the spirit alive. The knowledge of what kind of parts are interchangeable between models, cars and even companies. But some people use the word rat rod, because then they can rush things, and not do it properly, or weld every piece on junk you can. Rat rod genre has allowed a new outlet for creativity for new ideas. Granted. However the dark side is that the stereotype rat rod means to some people that its okay if you dont have good penetration of welds in vital areas. Jimmy Shines car is/ was considered a rat rod, but it was built properly. Picture i attached is interesting and maybe has some unique ideas but all in all. I thought the idea of a hot rod, rat rod, or what ever someone wants to call what they are building is to drive it. I think rat rod is a undefined misinterpreted name that covers such a huge variety skill, from the first time someone touched a welder and never practiced, or never read anything about autobody, mechanics, or steering electrical the list goes on. To the other side with well built chassis, bodies properly mounted or dropped, chopped. radius rods used correctly. The thing is with some of these why would you take pride in something that looks like you didnt give a duck about. [​IMG]

24. norman harding

norman harding

do not throw stones at glass houses like you all can do better give the blind guy a shot!!11

25. RichG

RichG

Dude, my CAT could do better! The neighbors dog, the one that chases his own tail and runs into the side of the house could do better. There are weeds in my driveway that could do better. Stephen Hawkings could do better. A good sized rock could do better. A cows carcass could do better.

Sheesh:cool:

26. Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. NOTCH

NOTCH

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck!! That was nasty and it hurts to look at that shit

28. RichG

RichG

I like your signature line. My mantra has always been that you can't live unless your willing to die. It freaks people out, so I don't say it much...:rolleyes: I get the feeling you understand.:D

29. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

did he weld it with some of those jumper cables made from welding cables and a big battery? :p

30. greasy50chevy

greasy50chevy