Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can I lift a BBC using aluminum intake carb flange plate?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ranchwagun, Apr 2, 2009.

1. ranchwagun

ranchwagun

Hey, I was just wondering if you guys think its safe to lift up a big block chev using the carb mount bolts on an uluminum intake. I have used this plate alot on cast intakes. it just seems scary to lift that big block by 4 little bolts in aluminum.any advice would be appreciated

2. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

I've always been told you never lift an engine with an aluminum intake by a carb plate. The threads on the carb flange are not nearly strong enough

3. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I've always thought that pulling an engine using the carb bolts was a little iffy and a big block with an aluminum intake scarier yet. If you try it take pictures and report back.

Frank

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I think you're right to be concerned. I would'nt lift a BBC by the carb studs even if it had a cast IRON intake. The factory had engine lift tabs on their engines for a reason. I know an awful lot of guys have done it, and will continue to do so, but I would'nt. Even the 9/16" headed, 3/8" bolts seem questionable on the intake mounting and ends of the heads, so be sure and use the longest ones that fit.I saw the oil pan on a BBC that was going in a 55 Chevy, when the lift bolts pulled out of one head. At least it was'nt positioned in the car when the bolt let go, it was being lifted and separated from the engine stand. It wound up back on the stand real quick, and the guy was super pi$$ed. One oil pan, oil pump and pickup later, it made it's way into the car, but this time everything was checked and rechecked before it was lifted. Good luck with your project. Butch/56sedandelivery.

5. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

No problem,have done if forever
    And with heaver engines,early rockets are over 700lbs

Tony

6. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I used a plate ( back in the day ) until I had a friend drop a 454 using one. I went and bought me one of these

[​IMG]

Some of the BEST $$$ I ever spent on a tool.

I highly suggest you buy ( or borrow ) one.

:D

7. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

i've never had a problem with it.ofcourse i didn't climb on it and ride around on it either..but i've never broke one .

8. I usually use a tilter bolted to the heads - BUT having said that I lifted a 502 with iron heads by a manifold plate last week with no problems and i have also done a 425 Nailhead. Wouldn't do it with a Chinese manifold, but Edelbrock seem to handle it OK.

the yield strength of even low quality 1/4" studs is in the 9,000 lb. range and 5/16" is 11,250 so the weak link will be the manifold.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  9. tooslow54

tooslow54

Never tried it...but probably never will. Chains and bolts to the heads...And be careful with some of those load levelers as pictured above. A good one is worth it's weight in gold, a cheap one will break and cause a lot of damage. Do a search on here if ya think I'm crazy.

edit: did my own search and easy to find: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308335&highlight=leveler

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  10. Sure, go ahead. The worst thing that could happen is you drop it,,,and to us Ford guys, that is a good thing. One less BBC. Just kidding. No, I wouldn't do it. May work, may not.

11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I dont like taking un necessary risks..so my answer is NO..!
    why do it that way?..when you have somany other more secure places to attach something to pull it from?

12. zombiemandan

zombiemandan
    from Wyoming

I installed my 396 with an aluminumn Edelbrock intake using the carb flange and had no problems whatsoever. Just make sure and use grade 8 bolts. I even had to leave it hanging for a while to do some fab work. All in all had it hanging there for a good 3-4 hrs.

13. Done it plenty of times, never even close to an issue.

Two 5/16 grade 5 bolts in an aluminum manifold would be sufficient, so four is overkill.

I like overkill.

14. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Been doing it for 30 years, no problem...............

15. Hot Rod Magazine did an analysis on this a few years ago and reported that is very safe, but I wouldn't do it.
    HemiDeuce.

16. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

Had the bolts pull out of an aluminum intake on a 540 BBC. Motor was out and 3 feet above the concrete. Destroyed the pan and had to have the intake fixed. Never again.

17. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

I have lifted a 390 Caddy AND hydro with a carb plate with no problem, but there are a lot of variables, is the manifold new or used ie: worn threads etc, what accesories are still on the motor (extra weight), is the plate a good quality unit or a cheap piece of junk. If your worried about it I wouldn't do it.

18. ranchwagun

ranchwagun

[​IMG]
    Actually i am a ford guy the only reason i am messin with the chev is because the guy wanted to trade for this.[​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

If it's a cheap Chinese intake, no way in hell. Those threads will yank right out of there.

If it's a good American intake, I probably still wouldn't do it, but I also don't think it would be a problem. I'd make sure it was bolted all the way down.

20. carbking

carbking

I can visualize the Ebay ad: ;)

ESTATE SALE - BBC intake, used only once to lift an engine, slight damage, cheap!

Key word in ad is "estate". :(

Lift it the way GM intended it to be lifted.

My opinion only, others will differ!

Jon.

21. If you have the engine and transmission together, lifting it by the carb plate is going to make everything hang at a severe angle with the transmission hanging really low. I wouldn't trust those carb mount lifters anyway because they're only attached by four 5/16" bolts, and the manifold wasn't designed to have to hold that much weight.

I would use an adjustable lifting thing with four chains so you can tilt it whatever angles you need to get it in there with at least four 3/8" bolts.

The factory lifting tabs were held by two 3/8" bolts at each tab, at opposite corners of the block.

22. zombiemandan

zombiemandan
    from Wyoming

I guess I should add that I had a 700R4 tranny and all excessories bolted to the motor when I did this. I did howerver, have a decently new intake with no damage.

23. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I would never lift an engine with or without a trans using an aluminum intake ! I would pull from the exhaust side of heads using a chain as long as they aren't aluminum too . If they are aluminum pull from the block . Also use a piece of wood to place in between the chain & valve covers so you don't damage them . Just be safe when pulling an engine .

24. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

its another one of those..
    "just because you can.....doesnt mean you should"

kinda deals

25. I had to be talked into using a lift plate on my big block.
    I used one to put the 454 in my '29, but now that it's in I want to get an engine leveler so when I'm putting the engine back into the frame after paint I don't get a bunch of scratches.
    My a#$hole sucks up every time that big fella comes up off the motor mounts. I'm much more comfortable with chains, but I must admit most of my friends use engine plates with no problems. Mike :eek:

26. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Pay very close attention to the hair on the back of your neck.
    If it raises, lower the motor.
    I'd find another way myself though.

27. RAY With

RAY With

Been using an intake lift plate for 40 + years and never had any incident at all. Since I don't own any Chinese crap I am not familiar with their quality. Running 3 NASCAR cars I use to pull a lot of motors in any given month and had wyand-edelbrock- ect. I used G-8 bolts that were many times harder than the intake but never ever striped out any intake at all. I would think someone who did have a problem had over tightened the carb and or plate and stretched the intake threads or close to striping them out to have a problem to begin with-Just my opinion.