Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Chevy Project...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustomizingkid, Mar 30, 2009.

1. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid

So the first car I ever bought was a 53 Chevy 2dr 210.... it's ROUGH....

I bought it when I was 14 got way in over my head and then I turned 16 and wanted a car I could actually drive and lost my enthusiasm to get the 53 running... now I am 19 and have gotten over the just having a car and want to get the 53 running!!

The problem now is that I'm in college so $$ is tight... so I want to pull this thing out and get it running on a budget... and I mean a tight budget. So what do you think is realistic for getting a basket case 53 back on the road so that it is just safely drivable?

I don't need interior, heck I could roll without windows for a while.... hell does it even need doors :D

I need to get the pics of this car off my old computer, I lost a lot of them in a crash a year ago....

2. are you keeping the straight 6? hows the brakes? steering? tranny? what are your plans?

3. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

You should be able to do it for 25.00 or so..............Just kidding. Without knowing what you need to do, there is no way to answer. What is wrong with the car? What skills do you have? Could be anywhere from a few hundred to thousands. Good luck

4. fiftyfiveford

fiftyfiveford

Sounds like a good project, most parts are easily available to get it roadworthy.
    check your local Napa for brakes and tune up parts, that will be your most affordable source. If you cant find it there, chevsofthe40s, The fillingstation, and National chevy.

You may also want to check out chevytalk.org, lots of good info there. And here is the link to the factory service manual...
    http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1949_53/index.htm

5. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid

It's a basket case, the straight 6 was junk... I haven't decided if I should keep the 6 or do the generic SBC swap...

It will need all new brakes, but that really depends on if I switch to a different front clip, rear axle, open drive shaft etc....

So many possibilities!

6. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid

Here is a pic of the car... it's rough...

[​IMG]

7. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Looks like mine when I brought it home, wife thought I was nuts. Two years later it looked like this. Unfortunately, I sold it two years ago. That's the only car I wish I still had.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Best I can say is I bought a donor Monte Carlo for $100. Used the engine and rear end + a lot of misc. parts like pedal assembly's, brackets, etc. The rest was just bargain stuff I hooked up with along the way. I drove it the second year into restoration in primer, old tires, etc.

9. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid

I had a 1980 Monte parts car... but I had to get rid of it due to loss of storage... it happens...

10. I think we all will have a different idea of budget, under 500 you will probably not be able to, under a 1000 if all things fell in place mybe! You have one hell of a project there. I love 53 club coupes!

11. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Do you have a clear title in your name? If not, don't waste money until you do. It sucks having a runner you can't drive because of a piece of paper. I finally got legal. Yours needs so much body work, you might as well go full custom!

Me too, but his is a standard 2100 coupe.

13. Hot Rod Pat

Hot Rod Pat

Like what other people have said, get a handle on what motor your going to use. Then go through the brakes, tranny, rearend, steering and what not. I too am in college and I too am building up a 53 210, if you do it right you can do it cheap.

14. chopz56

chopz56

Do your research look at everything you can online and compare prices,and get to know your local parts guys real good so they will cut you some breaks on the prices!you would be surprised at what some of the parts stores still carry or can get in a short time.but beware autozone doesn't carry anything for old cars except oil!!!good luck,i had the same issues with my wagon!

15. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid

Hmmmmm.....

Straight 6 or SBC.... and it HAS to be backed by a stick.

16. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid

I will also say right now that I have no papers on this car..... I have a bill of sale so maybe I should get that ball rolling.

17. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid

I did a lot of thinking last night.... I'm really starting to think that a straight 6 would be the way to go... but I would like to back it with a trans with OD, I've read a bit on backing the 235 with a T5 trans... hmmmmm.....

18. a t5 would be cool. can you fabricate? it shouldnt be a big deal with a couple helping hands and some fabrication skills.

im sure your aware of the fact that going automatic would be indefinately easyer, especially the sbc/th350 route... but if you want a stick, i suggest you stick with that but dont expect it to come easy.

19. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid

I don't think I would enjoy the car with an auto....

Hmmm.... gears are turning, I need to find a decent 6, the one that was in the car appeared to have been run low on oil, the crank was scored up... and the cylinders were rusted up pretty good.

20. 51chevcoupe

51chevcoupe

I've started projects that were rougher, it just means more time, sweat, and probably a tetanus shot before you get to see the dream come to life! I've been called a masochist and a hopeless optimist, but hey, screw 'em! Build whatcha got and enjoy the piss out of it!!

21. 51chevcoupe

51chevcoupe

P.S. I'd recommend a 235 with a stock vintage 3-on-the-tree. Classic styling and plenty of power, not to mention that sweeeeeeet 6-banger exhaust note!!!